+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: £9.50 Minimum Living Wage On The Way

Re: £9.50 Minimum Living Wage On The Way

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Many Skilled Manual jobs dont even earn £13 a hour, Hairdressers, people employed in the building trades ( even getting close to carpenters ), its certainly above even Teacher assistants in Primary schools aswell

So I guess that'll mean they will get a increase in salary
    Some companies don't pay safety critical staff that wage on the railways.

Literally have peoples lives in their hands.

But yeah let's pay everyone that.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

XXXX are underpaid therefore everybody beneath them should be underpaid accordingly on a sliding scale is a pretty depressing point of view

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    XXXX are underpaid therefore everybody beneath them should be underpaid accordingly on a sliding scale is a pretty depressing point of view
    No need to blank it out. Who is this XXXX person you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No need to blank it out. Who is this XXXX person you speak of?
    I was replying to dembe who was talking about safety critical staff on the railways, I'm stunned that that wasn't obvious

I was replying to dembe who was talking about safety critical staff on the railways, I'm stunned that that wasn't obvious
    What is that whoosh sound?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    What is that whoosh sound?
    Oh.

Shit.

Many Skilled Manual jobs dont even earn £13 a hour, Hairdressers, people employed in the building trades ( even getting close to carpenters ), its certainly above even Teacher assistants in Primary schools aswell

So I guess that'll mean they will get a increase in salary
    Any skilled labour in the building trade is on at least £20 per hour.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I wish it was your last

Feedback

some pilots are on £25k per annum, which is around £12.50 for a 40 hour week. There aren't many jobs which are as skilled as a pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Any skilled labour in the building trade is on at least £20 per hour.
    A old work mate of mine has just started doing housing association work ( fitting kitchens ) and he is on the books and is getting 15 quid a hour, suppling his own power tools aswell

A old work mate of mine has just started doing housing association work ( fitting kitchens ) and he is on the books and is getting 15 quid a hour, suppling his own power tools aswell
    Is he a chippie? Time served?

Yes and Yes, He used to run Jobs with me as a Foreman about 20 years go in fact the last time I was " on the books " we were the 2 foreman of the building firm we worked for

I remember my sister had a small business, she started out on her own then as she got busier she needed to take on help, I remember it being a while before she started making any real money as she saw the benefit of having help there.

If she had to pay £13 an hour to those staff it wouldn't be worth opening the doors.

I can imagine plenty of others are in a similar position.
    If you want to set minimum wage by asking business what they can afford to pay then you probably shouldn't bother having one.

Yes and Yes, He used to run Jobs with me as a Foreman about 20 years go in fact the last time I was " on the books " we were the 2 foreman of the building firm we worked for
    About £550 per week. If he's happy with that, then i suppose that's fair enough. I wouldn't be.

I remember a few years back when Labour proposed increasing tax on those earning over 80k and this board was full of people saying '80k doesn't go far in London', now £13 an hour is raking it in, what has changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    some pilots are on £25k per annum, which is around £12.50 for a 40 hour week. There aren't many jobs which are as skilled as a pilot.
    Except the literally thousands of other professions that are, of course. All of those skilled professions are needed. It's just as a society, we don't value them in the same way. We do clap though, which is something I suppose.

I'm not saying they SHOULD be paid less but if the minimum waged for unskilled work goes up then these types of roles would also need a bump. Where is all this money coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    If you want to set minimum wage by asking business what they can afford to pay then you probably shouldn't bother having one.
    I didn't say we should ask them did I.

But deciding on an extra 50 percent increase, where does this all come from for these businesses?

My mate was offered a similar rate fitting kitchens. He respectfully declined, this was self employed mind.

About £550 per week. If he's happy with that, then i suppose that's fair enough. I wouldn't be.
    He happy with it, Holiday and Sick and furlough if the worse happens

In the hour of full transparency they have given him a fuel card for his van aswell

I'm not saying they SHOULD be paid less but if the minimum waged for unskilled work goes up then these types of roles would also need a bump. Where is all this money coming from?
    of course they will have to go up, back to the building trade, The Labourer getting paid the same as a Chippy, the Time served Skilled Chippy is going to wonder why he is bringing in his 500 quid festool saw and his other power tools worth another few K when the labourer just brings in his lunch box with a pork pie in

I didn't say we should ask them did I.

But deciding on an extra 50 percent increase, where does this all come from for these businesses?
    You asked a question, I gave you the answer based on my experiences of how much it would cost to live in London or the surrounding regions given travel costs. I think it is more important that employees are afforded a dignified and reasonable existence than it is that employers are afforded the opportunity to run a business off the back of paying people wages low enough that they are in constant struggle and misery.

And you kind of are saying we should ask them because you are saying the minimum wage should be set at a rate which is affordable to business. I don't agree that this should enter into the equation.

You asked a question, I gave you the answer based on my experiences of how much it would cost to live in London or the surrounding regions given travel costs. I think it is more important that employees are afforded a dignified and reasonable existence than it is that employers are afforded the opportunity to run a business off the back of paying people wages low enough that they are in constant struggle and misery.

And you kind of are saying we should ask them because you are saying the minimum wage should be set at a rate which is affordable to business. I don't agree that this should enter into the equation.
    I'm not saying we should ask them

But they should be able to afford staff

Either I am saying it or I am not, there's "kind of saying it"

I didn't say it.

Now I know why these threads are always full of the same few, because people can't be arse to post their views because it is inevitable what comes next..

I'm not saying we should ask them

Either I am saying it or I am not, there's "kind of saying it"

I didn't say it.

Now I know why these threads are always full of the same few, because people can't be arse to post their views because it is inevitable what comes next..
    You implied it, 'businesses will close their doors', as if a living wage calculation should take that into account. Anyway, stop being such a softy, you asked me for my views, I gave them to you.

But they should be able to afford staff
    Okay, I have a great business idea but to make it work I will need to pay my staff £3 an hour. Can we lower the minimum wage please? I won't be able to afford staff unless you do.

You implied it, 'businesses will close their doors', as if a living wage calculation should take that into account. Anyway, stop being such a softy, you asked me for my views, I gave them to you.

Okay, I have a great business idea but to make it work I will need to pay my staff £3 an hour. Can we lower the minimum wage please? I won't be able to afford staff unless you do.
    Like I said. It's no wonder these threads are filled with the usual suspects each time.

You sir are an arsehole.