+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chris Wilder tactics

Chris Wilder tactics

in the championship Chris Wilder played a very attacking, and innovative
    3-4-1-2 formation.
    the wingbacks get forward and cut inside and the left and right of the back 3 would overlap the wingbacks in order to provide width and overload the wings
    when they do that one or both of the 2 defensive midfielders would drop into the back 3 to cover them.
    then an attacking midfielder and 2 up front
    at first glance, that would probably be asking a lot of our defenders who seem. bit limited in possession, but thinking about it we have McGuiness and Brown who are CBs who have played as makeshift wingbacks , and we have Bagan and Ng who are probably more comfortable on the ball and I've heard both mentioned that that may well end up in a back 3.

Pack in centre mid has played in a back 3, and Wintle when he comes back seems good defensively.

assuming a fully fit squad, and enough time to learn their new roles, who would you pick in an XI if you HAD to play these tactics.?

Re: Chris Wilder tactics

We haven't got the skill sets to deliver those tactics, even Morison (with one R) will have a huge problem on his hands to deliver the skills he likes to promote, unless of course our first team all of a sudden finds improved passiing , keeping possession, defending , and attacking faster supply skills .

I wouldn't be confident with McGuinness and Brown as overlapping centre halves - perhaps if Bagan and Ng were part of the back three in the first place, with Sang and Tom Davies as wing backs (although that's putting too much on Davies and shows our paucity on the left).

We'd have to play Pack and Vaulks if they were going to drop into defence to cover which would be a bit harsh on Ralls.

Ultimately, if Wilder came in he'd have to think of something else, like an 8-6-5 formation.

It's not going to be wilder realistically, he walked out on his hometown club over heated disagreements with the owner regarding recruitment.

I suppose there wouldn't be much to disagree on here given we don't have a transfer budget but still..

We really should avoid overlapping over any kind in our club it only end up in creasing.

well I'd go for

smithies

Ng Morrison Bagan

Sang Pack Ralls Giles
    Colwill
    Moore Harris

only 1 CB. we would probably get battered every week, but that's happening anyway

I saw this (link with video below) I'm sure on terrestrial TV and over a half hour programme but my memory may be faulty over that, certainly I remember seeing this video at the time close to the time it documents.

It shows what I would say an impressive looking Wilder, certainly putting a shift in and thinking on his toes, with sound decisioning and a skill at selling the club and his football onto players. Seemed a good people person. He does describe the football he plays as being 3-5-2 and something along the lines of we work hard when we get the ball and we work hard to get the ball back once we get It, box to box real footballing team.

Not sure whether he'd have any more luck with the team in the 3-5-2 if he would be that way inclined...but certainly would welcome him as manager myself. It is interesting mind to see the field of course.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/statu...XRrwZmcNA&s=19

Ciaron Brown as an overlapping centre-back is a hilarious idea.

I think if he was coming his feet would be under the table by now.

He doesn't have a great record for spending money on strikers - £43.5m combined for Brewster (zero goals) and McBurnie (7 goals).

That shouldn't be a problem here, seeing as he wouldn't have any money to spend!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'd love to see it, pure comedy

Could get Flint to try it on the other side, would be a wonderful watch

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    it isn't as though basham or O'Connell were silky skilled wingers, or that they were being expected to dribble past 3 defenders, but well coached In a good system they were very effective

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    He doesn't have a great record for spending money on strikers - £43.5m combined for Brewster (zero goals) and McBurnie (7 goals).

That shouldn't be a problem here, seeing as he wouldn't have any money to spend!
    if one of those two signings had worked out he'd probably still be there