+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Would you like a Saudi Arabia take over?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 32.43%
  • No

25 67.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you be happy with a Saudi Arabia take over? (purely hypothetical)

Would you be happy with a Saudi Arabia take over? (purely hypothetical)

Yes or no?

Given the circumstances, hell yes for me!

Re: Would you be happy with a Saudi Arabia take over? (purely hypothetical)

If you mean the Saudi government (aka royal family) through their Sovereign Wealth Fund as happened with Newcastle, then 'no'.

If it was some random Saudi billionaire who loves his mum and gives generously to charities, then 'maybe'.

No wealthy owner will be very fragrant, but some stink more than others!

Absolutely not. Been ashamed of this club enough already. I’d rather us go bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Absolutely not. Been ashamed of this club enough already. I’d rather us go bust.
    Good call matey. Me as well! Well done to the Palace fans who flew that banner on Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    If you mean the Saudi government (aka royal family) through their Sovereign Wealth Fund as happened with Newcastle, then 'no'.

If it was some random Saudi billionaire who loves his mum and gives generously to charities, then 'maybe'.

Even in the most extreme example of Newcastle, I don’t see how it can ever end well. They’re now at the extremities of wealth - it’s highly unlikely they’ll ever find anyone with as much cash.

So they throw money about for the next 10 years or so. Then what? Unless they stay for eternity they’ll be in a right mess.

Football surely has to get sustainable at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Good call matey. Me as well! Well done to the Palace fans who flew that banner on Sunday!
    I'd be out of there too

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Even in the most extreme example of Newcastle, I don’t see how it can ever end well. They’re now at the extremities of wealth - it’s highly unlikely they’ll ever find anyone with as much cash.

So they throw money about for the next 10 years or so. Then what? Unless they stay for eternity they’ll be in a right mess.

Football surely has to get sustainable at some point
    Didn't they say that about Man City when Mansour took over ?? ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Didn't they say that about Man City when Mansour took over ?? ?
    He's still there though. What happens when he finds a new toy to play with?

Of course you would. If he brought a new striker in, and promised you £150m "investment", you'd happily take it. He could change the kit to Swansea shirts, and you'd all lap it up for one more relegation from the PL.

The bigger question would they allow us to do the Ayatollah.

Majority of fans would be in heaven, as its all about success.

I'm always confused why right minded folk actually follow football these days including myself as there's a lot of corruption and poor morality in the game.

Let's hope no one is going to watch the next World Cup as that country is no better than Saudi.

Wouldn't it be far more satisfying for fans to have majority ownership of their clubs, as happens in Germany? Instead, we have a system that is increasingly becoming under the control of wealthy foreign parties, some of whom have very dubious backgrounds. However, the clock can't be turned back now and we fans are dependent on an endless stream of wealthy individuals to keep our clubs alive. Clubs are 'ours' in respect of affiliation only.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Wouldn't it be far more satisfying for fans to have majority ownership of their clubs, as happens in Germany? Instead, we have a system that is increasingly becoming under the control of wealthy foreign parties, some of whom have very dubious backgrounds. However, the clock can't be turned back now and we fans are dependent on an endless stream of wealthy individuals to keep our clubs alive. Clubs are 'ours' in respect of affiliation only.
    This. And especially 'Clubs are 'ours' in respect of affiliation only'. It's only a matter of time before the clock is turned back though!

Absolutely no ****ing way. I would not have my club, nor my support for my club being used to give a PR boost to a vicious, murdering, autocratic theocracy.

It's bad enough that the obscene amounts of money at the top of the game have made playing in the Premier league a chore for clubs like ours. It's bad enough that nobody gives a **** about winning cups any more because it's less important than finishing 17th in the league or 6th in the championship. Its bad enough that the top clubs have ruined European football by draining all other leagues of talent. Its bad enough that the top clubs hoover up hundreds of young players they never have any intention of playing and make a fat profit from selling them, but this? Even by the incredibly low standards of football in this country its an absolute disgrace.

No.

What Newcastle have done is far far worse than what we did with a bit of marketing for the Far East

Feedback

Show me the money

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

This! Although I think in practice a lot of the morality questions for us all would be put to one side if someone did take over the club and promise riches like what Newcastle may now see.

Totally agree. The German model is the right way to manage football, recognising it's status somewhere between cultural pastime and and business.

That said, the Bundesliga was a very open and competitive league, but unfortunately Bayern have been running away with it for several seasons now. I think they have won it 9 in a row, which is totally unprecedent in German football

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Totally agree. The German model is the right way to manage football, recognising it's status somewhere between cultural pastime and and business.

That said, the Bundesliga was a very open and competitive league, but unfortunately Bayern have been running away with it for several seasons now. I think they have won it 9 in a row, which is totally unprecedent in German football
    Indeed. The Bundesliga is excellent apart from that enormous drawback.

Indeed. The Bundesliga is excellent apart from that enormous drawback.
    Alas, seemingly gone are the days when Wolfsburg (who used to be managed by a Wolfgang Wolf btw) won the league as they did in 2009

Isn't this generally reflective of society as well as more and more of country is owned or influenced by outside influences especially politics?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The bigger question would they allow us to do the Ayatollah.

Majority of fans would be in heaven, as its all about success.

I'm always confused why right minded folk actually follow football these days including myself as there's a lot of corruption and poor morality in the game.

Let's hope no one is going to watch the next World Cup as that country is no better than Saudi.
    Hasn't football always suffered from a lack of morality - just its easier to discover nowadays via Internet, social media etc and going back to when I started following in the late 70s we also had the dick heads on the terraces to contend with - no moral code there either despite their protestations that they only fought like minded dick heads

Since 1963

FC Bayern Munich 31
    Borussia Dortmund 5
    Borussia Moenchengladbach 5
    Werder Bremen 4
    Hamburger SV 3
    VfB Stuttgart 3
    1. FC Köln 2
    1. FC Kaiserslautern 2
    TSV 1860 München 1
    1. FC Nürnberg 1
    Eintracht Braunschweig 1
    VFL Wolfsburg 1

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Since 1963

FC Bayern Munich 31
    Borussia Dortmund 5
    Borussia Moenchengladbach 5
    Werder Bremen 4
    Hamburger SV 3
    VfB Stuttgart 3
    1. FC Köln 2
    1. FC Kaiserslautern 2
    TSV 1860 München 1
    1. FC Nürnberg 1
    Eintracht Braunschweig 1
    VFL Wolfsburg 1
    Yeah, Bayern are by some distance the most successful team. Looking at 9 year intervals (as they have won it the last nine years) however..

2013-2021 - 1 winner (Bayern)
    2004-2012 - 5 different winners
    1995-2003 - 3 different winners
    1986 - 1994 - 4 different winners
    1977 - 1985 - 5 different winners
    1968 -1976 - 3 different winners

No one had ever won the Bundesliga more than three years in a row before this current run. Bayern have also won the DFB cup 5 of the last 9 years.

So even accounting for them being the most successful team, their current dominance is unprecedented; Moenchengladbach, Dortmund, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Werder Bremen etc would normally challenge, with the odd championship going to teams like Kaiserslautern and Wolfsburg too.

Question is how much longer will Bayern continue to win the league?

yeah Bayern have basically eaten the rest of the league