+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Would you like a Saudi Arabia take over?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 32.43%
  • No

25 67.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you be happy with a Saudi Arabia take over? (purely hypothetical)

Re: Would you be happy with a Saudi Arabia take over? (purely hypothetical)

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yeah Bayern have basically eaten the rest of the league
    They've been Munching Gladbach thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Totally agree. The German model is the right way to manage football, recognising it's status somewhere between cultural pastime and and business.

That said, the Bundesliga was a very open and competitive league, but unfortunately Bayern have been running away with it for several seasons now. I think they have won it 9 in a row, which is totally unprecedent in German football
    Sh1te! its not unprecedented at all. Bayern have won it 30 times, the next team to that is Nuremberg with 9, their last win in 68! Even in its most "competitive" it was only ever between 1 of Bayern or Dortmund. It might as well be Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Sh1te! its not unprecedented at all. Bayern have won it 30 times, the next team to that is Nuremberg with 9, their last win in 68! Even in its most "competitive" it was only ever between 1 of Bayern or Dortmund. It might as well be Portugal.
    Erm

They've been Munching Gladbach thats for sure.
    In my opinion this is by some distance your best ever contribution on this site

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Old Joey Jones banner Delmi from one of Liverpool’s European Cup runs. Very witty I think. ‘Joey ate the Frog’s legs, made the Swiss roll, now he’s munching Gladbach. Made,after beating St Etienne, then FC Zurich, for the final against Munchengladbach. Just Googled the story behind it, wish our fans had such wit.

😊

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Old Joey Jones banner Delmi from one of Liverpool’s European Cup runs. Very witty I think. ‘Joey ate the Frog’s legs, made the Swiss roll, now he’s munching Gladbach. Made,after beating St Etienne, then FC Zurich, for the final against Munchengladbach. Just Googled the story behind it, wish our fans had such wit.
    ah, he stole it

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yeah Bayern have basically eaten the rest of the league
    It does suggest the German league system has created an unhealthy monopoly of one ?

ffs! we're not interested in your opinion we need to know what you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    Of course you would. If he brought a new striker in, and promised you £150m "investment", you'd happily take it. He could change the kit to Swansea shirts, and you'd all lap it up for one more relegation from the PL.
    Would we? Huh. Thanks for confirming

ah, he stole it
    If I bought you flowers on our anniversary I wouldn't be the first to do it but it doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    at one point our fans did have such wit, alas no more, "we" now sing tasteless rejigs of Hymns & Arias at various grounds around the UK..

now after me:

when I see the City, I go out of my head
    I just can't get enough
    I just can't get enough
    all the greats that played for us with a Bluebird on their chests..

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Yes or no?

Given the circumstances, hell yes for me!
    Yes as long as the money was there, would be switching one oligarch for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Isn't this generally reflective of society as well as more and more of country is owned or influenced by outside influences especially politics?
    It's probably always been that way. Kings, queens, emperors, tsars, lords, barons and clan leaders were perhaps the historical equivalents of today's Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It does suggest the German league system has created an unhealthy monopoly of one ?
    'mono' effectively means 'one'.

If I bought you flowers on our anniversary I wouldn't be the first to do it but it doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it
    No one's ever bought me flowers actually so you would be

Yeah, Bayern are by some distance the most successful team. Looking at 9 year intervals (as they have won it the last nine years) however..

2013-2021 - 1 winner (Bayern)
    2004-2012 - 5 different winners
    1995-2003 - 3 different winners
    1986 - 1994 - 4 different winners
    1977 - 1985 - 5 different winners
    1968 -1976 - 3 different winners

No one had ever won the Bundesliga more than three years in a row before this current run. Bayern have also won the DFB cup 5 of the last 9 years.

So even accounting for them being the most successful team, their current dominance is unprecedented; Moenchengladbach, Dortmund, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Werder Bremen etc would normally challenge, with the odd championship going to teams like Kaiserslautern and Wolfsburg too.

Question is how much longer will Bayern continue to win the league?
    They've either been winners or runners up for about 50% of the time, utter dominance. Considering that they didn't even get going till about 1970 its even worse, in the last 40 years they've either won it or finished runners up.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    They've either been winners or runners up for about 50% of the time, utter dominance. Considering that they didn't even get going till about 1970 its even worse, in the last 40 years they've either won it or finished runners up.
    I don't understand the issue here. Prior to 2013 Bayern had won the Bundesliga about 40% of the time since that league started.

The other times winners were pretty well spread out (five different teams won it in the 90's and five different teams won it in the 2000's for example. It wasn't like the Portuguese, Greek, Dutch, Scottish leagues etc. It was pretty competitive.

Yes, Bayern are the most successful team in German history but they didn't dominate.

Now however they have won the league 9 times in a row and absolutely are dominant. That's my point. They used to be the top dogs in a pretty competitive league. Now they dominate it

No. Better to do things right.

Would I have taken Tan in retrospect?

That’s a toughie.