+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Car Insurance

O/T Car Insurance

Firstly, I don't drive myself - medically D/Q.
    My wise's insurance is due next month. It's a 20 reg Ford Focus Zetec.
    She's currently with Tesco, who were the best she could find last year.
    Their renewal has come in at £489 (full comp) with £100 excess.

Going through compstison sites, she could save approx £200 with General Accident, with £50 excess

Too good to be true?
    They have some shiit reviews on Trustpilot.

Anyone got experience with these?
    I thought they were a "good name" but I have no experience of them from my driving years.

Are they ok until you have to try to claim? anything else?
    Advice appreciated

Re: O/T Car Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Firstly, I don't drive myself - medically D/Q.
    My wise's insurance is due next month. It's a 20 reg Ford Focus Zetec.
    She's currently with Tesco, who were the best she could find last year.
    Their renewal has come in at £489 (full comp) with £100 excess.

Going through compstison sites, she could save approx £200 with General Accident, with £50 excess

Too good to be true?
    They have some shiit reviews on Trustpilot.

Anyone got experience with these?
    I thought they were a "good name" but I have no experience of them from my driving years.

Are they ok until you have to try to claim? anything else?
    Advice appreciated

They are part of the Aviva group.

I have not had any experience with General Accident, the only real time you have experinece is when you have to make a claim. I switch every year to the cheapest one that meets my needs to be honest.
    Ring up Tesco and tell them the quote you have had and see if they can match it. If not I would leave.

Sorry should have said that I have had experience of dealing with Avia for a claim and I had no issues. I was not with them directly but a company who were underwritten by them. So when I had to make the claim you end up going through to them directly as they are the ones who will be dealing with it. So that will be the similar case with General Accident, hopefully that will not happen to your wife and she will not need that service.
    Hope that helps

Reading through more reviews, they want you to fit a black box, at your expense, so they can monitor your driving.
    They are online only, virtually impossible to speak to asnyone.

Didn't John Cleese advertise them a few years ago?

What were the other ones that came up when you did the price comparison site?
    If you cannot get hold of somebody on the phone then I agree I would not like that either. I like to speak to a human being as well.

Not sure about the black box, thought that was for new learner drivers to help them bring down the price and monitor driving due to be being young etc.

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post
    What were the other ones that came up when you did the price comparison site?
    If you cannot get hold of somebody on the phone then I agree I would not like that either. I like to speak to a human being as well.

Not sure about the black box, thought that was for new learner drivers to help them bring down the price and monitor driving due to be being young etc.
    I didn't do the search, mrs H did, and she stopped when GA price popped up.

Apparently the black box is a strict GA policy for everyone

I think I would give them a miss then as I do not want a blackbox in my car either. My advice would be do to the search again and rng up Tesco's car insurance directly and give them the quotes that she has recieved and do not be afraid to leave.
    I was with Admiral before and they matched prices for a good number of years and then last year they could not match the price I had when I spoke to them and then I left, but I made sure that I had I phoned the company up, to finish the quote. I always do this, and I mention that I had truouble completing it online and transaction did not go through. To be fair then I get them to go through the quote and information with me that I put in and they match virtual match the price online, sometimes it has been£10 higher others a little bit lower, but at least I know the information I have submitted is correct. I am not good on the computers

The price that pops up on the comparison site will be a pretty basic policy. It's there to entice you in.
    Nothing wrong with that but by the time you add in legal cover and breakdown cover for example, itll be a bit closer to the current insurer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The price that pops up on the comparison site will be a pretty basic policy. It's there to entice you in.
    Nothing wrong with that but by the time you add in legal cover and breakdown cover for example, itll be a bit closer to the current insurer.
    That is fair enough if you have optional extra's like breakdown cover etc, as that would be with the RAC if it is Tesco. Might be worth checking with the AA, Green Flag, RAC sites to find the quote for the similar policy that is being offered by the insurance company as well.

The good thing is you are doing your homework and as long as you are both happy with the price you pay and for what you are getting that is all that matters
    Once again I hope your wife never uses the car insurance. On the other hand a good breakdown cover is something I have had to use on several occasions and fairly recently as well and then you get what you pay for.

I find aviva OK

I can't be arsed chasing around on the internet

I went with them one year as they were the cheapest, Didn’t have a claim though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I find aviva OK

I can't be arsed chasing around on the internet
    You’ll waste hours on here repeating yourself, pontificating and generally talking inane bollocks but can’t be arsed to spend 20 minutes on a comparison search to save yourself a couple of hundred quid? More money than sense.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    More money than sense.
    Just like his Eton mates

I Drive my daughters car occasionally, she has a Black box installed ( I installed it, its just 2 wires to the battery )and while at first its a pain In the arse, but you get used to it, each journey is scored, so you get points taken off for hard braking, speeding, sharp cornering etc etc, Ive yet to score under 85 / 100, and Im not the best driver in the world

A Black box insurance policy certainly wouldn't put me off if it saved 200 quid

You’ll waste hours on here repeating yourself, pontificating and generally talking inane bollocks but can’t be arsed to spend 20 minutes on a comparison search to save yourself a couple of hundred quid? More money than sense.
    I saved a fortune using go compare no searching just one application.

Every year I do the same ,ring up my insurers tell them whats cheaper ,then offer to send them a screen shot evidence, bingo they match the quotes.

Another way to save is to move your home insurance and breakdown to them.

Never agree an open direct debit though , re negotiate every year takes 15 minutes top.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Just like his Eton mates
    Bloody secret Tories weighed down with so much spare cash 😉

She's found comparable quotes today with Saga and QuoteMe Happy (I've never heard of them) so Tesco can do one.
    They're not going to match a quote that's close on £200 cheaper.

She used to have breakdown cover but I told her to do this herself a few years ago with the likes of green flag - it's a lot cheaper than RAC.

Feedback

I'm not the best person to ask about car insurance.

She's found comparable quotes today with Saga and QuoteMe Happy (I've never heard of them) so Tesco can do one.
    They're not going to match a quote that's close on £200 cheaper.

She used to have breakdown cover but I told her to do this herself a few years ago with the likes of green flag - it's a lot cheaper than RAC.
    "Quote me happy" are another Aviva brand. If you're considering Saga check the domicile of the insurance company carefully as most of their stuff is regulated in Gibraltar.

I change every year via comparison websites.
    When you phone up your existing insurers to cancel they always say you should have come to us first.
    No don't put my premium if I haven't made a claim you knobheads.

Reading through more reviews, they want you to fit a black box, at your expense, so they can monitor your driving.
    They are online only, virtually impossible to speak to asnyone.

Didn't John Cleese advertise them a few years ago?
    Yes, and they have branches all over the country.....

SLUDGE is a typical Tory voter, probably puts his insurance down as expenses and steers into puddles to soak rough sleepers..

nobody is going to mention that the OP has a 2020 Ford Focus, holy shit, Zetec engine too, one day guys, one day..

Wife had Tesco insurance, about £100 a year, can't remember the exact figure. When her renewal letter came it was £400 or something like that. I went on one of the comparison sites and there was Tesco at £100 a year. I phoned them up and said I wanted to cancel and then they offered me the web price. The renewal letters from Tesco are just a con.