+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The eighties, the best pop music decade?

The eighties, the best pop music decade?

Just watched a programme claiming this to be case - i would have said no chance until I started to question my very unflattering opinion of the decade quite recently. I’m still far from convinced it’s the best decade ever, but whenever I listen to my favourite playlist, I’m struck by how many of my favourite songs come from those ten years.

Feedback

Re: The eighties, the best pop music decade?

that's because the 80s was full of quality music, from the likes of bauhaus and the cure in the early 80s (from the late 70s), post punk new order, chameleons etc the house music explosion in the mid to late 80s and the best album that could ever be released being gifted to us by the gods in 1989, the 80s was class.

80’s was ok but only a few decent bands such as OMD , Tears forFears etc. 60’s and 70’s is where it all happened for me.

1965 - 1976 - Motown, Stax, british rock, glam rock, punk & funk…and let’s not forget the Beatles.

60’s definitely

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    60’s definitely

Although must be said 70’s & 80’s we’re excellent decades with some fabulous music.

think this always boils down to an age thing

for my age group i would say yes the years between 1976 to 1988 were laden with fabulous music ranging from punk , new wave , goth , indie , the rebirth of rockabilly and rock , n roll and skins , 2 tone , disco , metal bands , electro synth and Abba ! but the beauty of that era was the sub cultures and fashions that come with the music

would love to have been a teenager in the 1950's when rockabilly and rock.n roll was sweeping the nation

Not only is it a matter of personal taste but also about what music was around in our most formative years. I think TOBW may be a little unusual as, knowing his age and hoping he doesn't mind me saying, his default decade should be the 70s.

Music is like religion.
    Isn't it funny how 99% of people who grow up in a religious household find the only God there is is the same 1 their parents follow.
    Music normally follows with the era you grew up in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    80’s was ok but only a few decent bands such as OMD , Tears forFears etc. 60’s and 70’s is where it all happened for me.
    How weird we must be twins. 60s and 70s for me too but the 2 bands you mentioned in the 80s also did it for me. Still into OMD and looking forward to seeing them in the motorpoint next month. My current favourites are the killers, seen them twice, would love to make it a third.

It's to do with youth for a lot of people. I think that it also depends on what was going on at the time both politically and socially.

Go in any pub with a jukebox and it’ll be playing 60’s music

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's to do with youth for a lot of people. I think that it also depends on what was going on at the time both politically and socially.
    I think thats right.

I was a teenager in the 80s but the 90s would edge it for me.

I couldnt sit down for the afternoon listening to 60s and shit like the Monkees. Id rather listen to rap or drill.

Great bands in the 60s , 70s , 80s , 90s and the two decades since

It's good to be able to dip

Not just decades but between rock , metal , soul , blues , funk , punk etc

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Not only is it a matter of personal taste but also about what music was around in our most formative years. I think TOBW may be a little unusual as, knowing his age and hoping he doesn't mind me saying, his default decade should be the 70s.
    I’d agree with you there, but I thought the period of, say, 1970/75 was boring musically - I was never really into prog rock and felt too old for the glam rock thing, I probably should have been going up to Wigan every weekend, but no one I knew was into Northern Soul. Punk/New Wave was a Godsend to me, but I tended to be about five years older than the average age at the gigs I went to in the late seventies.

The 80s was a great decade for music, especially when you compare to the rubbish that’s been around this century.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d agree with you there, but I thought the period of, say, 1970/75 was boring musically - I was never really into prog rock and felt too old for the glam rock thing, I probably should have been going up to Wigan every weekend, but no one I knew was into Northern Soul. Punk/New Wave was a Godsend to me, but I tended to be about five years older than the average age at the gigs I went to in the late seventies.
    Chart music in the 70s was shite, all that teeny stuff, Osmonds, Bay City Rollers, don't start me on feckin' disco.
    The album chart was where the good stuff was to be heard.

Well some of us were into prog rock but it has to be said regarding your musical taste that Yours Is No Disgrace. Not being Lazy, you obviously discovered your own Fanfare For the Common Man via a different route so it's not a case of Us and Them or you just Counting Out Time. Being a Twentieth Century Schizoid Man it couldn't have been easy for you though.

For my part, having had a strict father who wouldn't let us change the dial on the radio, I went from having to listen to the soporific sounds of the Mike Sammes singers and Max Jaffa (on Radio 2) straight to Deep Purple, Man and Pink Floyd - and without passing through pop.

We generally believe that the music we were brought up with, particularly during our teenage years, is the best. Not always, but often.

Well some of us were into prog rock but it has to be said regarding your musical taste that Yours Is No Disgrace. Not being Lazy, you obviously discovered your own Fanfare For the Common Man via a different route so it's not a case of Us and Them or you just Counting Out Time. Being a Twentieth Century Schizoid Man it couldn't have been easy for you though.

For my part, having had a strict father who wouldn't let us change the dial on the radio, I went from having to listen to the soporific sounds of the Mike Sammes singers and Max Jaffa (on Radio 2) straight to Deep Purple, Man and Pink Floyd - and without passing through pop.
    I saw Yes at the Capitol on the day West Ham beat Fulham in 1975 Cup Final - got Us and Them and Twenty First Century Schizoid Man on that playlist I mentioned. I went through a mercifully short Mike Sammes Singers and Max Jaffa phase as well and, sadly, my old man, who did get me into Johnny Cash to be fair, was a huge fan of Roger Whittaker and his bloody whistling through much of my teens as well.

60s for me, I’m amazed how I know the words to even relatively obscure 60s stuff if it comes on the wireless.

I saw Yes at the Capitol on the day West Ham beat Fulham in 1975 Cup Final - got Us and Them and Twenty First Century Schizoid Man on that playlist I mentioned. I went through a mercifully short Mike Sammes Singers and Max Jaffa phase as well and, sadly, my old man, who did get me into Johnny Cash to be fair, was a huge fan of Roger Whittaker and his bloody whistling through much of my teens as well.
    What about the singing nun?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    60s for me, I’m amazed how I know the words to even relatively obscure 60s stuff if it comes on the wireless.

What about the singing nun?
    Oh please, no more

The Yes Album

Still great after all these years