+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cancer Centre in Whitchurch

Cancer Centre in Whitchurch

People protesting and blocking works

The worst kind of NIMBYs

Re: Cancer Centre in Whitchurch

Why are people complaining, when they could be the very ones who will benefit.? Surely if it’s there to help us, they should not be protesting.

Its classic NIMBYism.
    If it wasn't for covid then many of those wouldn't have used the meadows for their hours exercise last year.
    They complain about excess fuel pollution when building the centre at UHW as many of them wish, would only cause more.
    The meadows as they call them is, I believe, land that belongs to the nhs. It used to be used as allotments by the hospital.
    The protests today were about stopping land clearance (strimming and removing deadwood). One of the protesters (I think shes a cancer survivor) was saying I've got no lymph nodes, and complained about police brutality as she was carried away as she blocked the workmen trying to do their job.

They lost a judicial review last month and are now crowdfunding the £46k costs theyve been asked to pay (I think it's the same woman).

All they're doing now is delaying the inevitable, increasing the overall costs, and ultimately delays in the construction will put more lives at risk.

Time for them to call it a day.

I’m sure some of it is NIMBYism but I’m sure some disagree with it for other reasons too. There’s been a lot of points made from senior doctors and people who know/understand these things better than you or I who have raised concerns and objections to the project.

https://savethenorthernmeadows.wales...shley-roberts/

And interesting portion from the above statement by a radiologist on the Cardiff and Vale Uni health board ;

“Developing a stand-alone Cancer centre is an archaic model, and I will go on to explain why.

Cancer treatment has become more and more complex, and cancer patients undergoing treatment have increasingly complex issues. If they become severely unwell now, they are transferred to UHW in an ambulance. Sometimes they require ITU treatment. Other new cancer service developments are using a different, better model with specialties on the same site, such as surgery, cardiology, interventional radiology, gastroenterology, respiratory medicine, intensive care and others. In other words, modern cancer services are physically linked to larger acute hospitals.”

It’s well worth a read as I think Dr Roberts highlights his objections well without it just being NIMBYism.

Personally I’m split, if Cardiff needs a new cancer facility then it needs to be built and if that has to be the meadows then it’s unfortunate but necessary. However I’m not sure why the old Whitchurch hospital site 100m down the can’t be used or why it can’t be incorporated into the planned redevelopment of Heath Hospital that’s supposed to start soon.

I'm guessing that the cost of a new cancer unit is huge and the selling off of the old /current site will help fund this new unit , makes sense to me.

I'd like to see the old railway extended past Coryton into the meadow and create a new end line station at the hospital for visitors and workers .

Should be part of the Heath Hospital not in Whitchurch. If you become physically unwell whilst receiving cancer treatment, they have long waits for ambulance transfers whereas it's a one stop shop in the heath

I don't agree with them as it goes, but their arguments isn't against a cancer hospital, its that it's in the wrong place and should be on the existing Whitchurch hospital site.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I don't agree with them as it goes, but their arguments isn't against a cancer hospital, its that it's in the wrong place and should be on the existing Whitchurch hospital site.
    Each building on the Whitchurch site is a listed building and the buildings designs arent suitable to fit the new equipment.
    This I think also is where the protesters arguments fall down. On one hand they want it on the Whitchurch site (still a stand alone site)and on the other want it at uhw.
    Basically anywhere other than the Meadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I’m sure some of it is NIMBYism but I’m sure some disagree with it for other reasons too. There’s been a lot of points made from senior doctors and people who know/understand these things better than you or I who have raised concerns and objections to the project.

https://savethenorthernmeadows.wales...shley-roberts/

And interesting portion from the above statement by a radiologist on the Cardiff and Vale Uni health board ;

“Developing a stand-alone Cancer centre is an archaic model, and I will go on to explain why.

Cancer treatment has become more and more complex, and cancer patients undergoing treatment have increasingly complex issues. If they become severely unwell now, they are transferred to UHW in an ambulance. Sometimes they require ITU treatment. Other new cancer service developments are using a different, better model with specialties on the same site, such as surgery, cardiology, interventional radiology, gastroenterology, respiratory medicine, intensive care and others. In other words, modern cancer services are physically linked to larger acute hospitals.”

It’s well worth a read as I think Dr Roberts highlights his objections well without it just being NIMBYism.

Personally I’m split, if Cardiff needs a new cancer facility then it needs to be built and if that has to be the meadows then it’s unfortunate but necessary. However I’m not sure why the old Whitchurch hospital site 100m down the can’t be used or why it can’t be incorporated into the planned redevelopment of Heath Hospital that’s supposed to start soon.
    There is plenty of room at the Heath as some allude too, I think it should be built there.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    There is plenty of room at the Heath as some allude too, I think it should be built there.
    There'll be protests from Heath area residents...

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    People protesting and blocking works

The worst kind of NIMBYs
    The council has ripped up 100's of acres of greenbelt in the last 12 months to build houses. These meadows are the last vestige of natural habitat within Cardiff's boundary. People get so much benefit from walking and enjoying the beautiful woods and meadows.

The NHS had plenty of other options - many of which were better and less costly.

there are other plans for the land at the heath

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Whatever happens and whoever complains As planning permission has already been granted if the proposed hospital is not built then the land will be sold to developers to build new houses on. Continuing to disregard the inevitable loss of that space and expecting others to fund your obsession is mind boggling

It would definitely be nice to try to protect some of the green spaces around Cardiff as it grows. You have to pick your battles though, and it doesn't seem that this meadow was actually used very much apart from the occasional dog walker .I don't live far from there and it isn't somewhere I'd make the effort to go, and a new cancer hospital is good for the city, and it's a good location for it. I think the Council should definitely be putting aside for large new parks as cardiff grows, when was the last big park made in Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    There'll be protests from Heath area residents...
    It’s already bad I live there! Another few cars won’t make much difference, they should build it on the Birchgrove side though as that entrance is well quiet compared to allensbank rd

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Like what? Some of the old building and corridors just need knocking down, they take up lots of space and are two floors high

It’s already bad I live there! Another few cars won’t make much difference, they should build it on the Birchgrove side though as that entrance is well quiet compared to allensbank rd
    Don't worry, there will be plenty of new buildings going up there, just not a cancer hospital

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Whatever happens and whoever complains As planning permission has already been granted if the proposed hospital is not built then the land will be sold to developers to build new houses on. Continuing to disregard the inevitable loss of that space and expecting others to fund your obsession is mind boggling
    My understanding is there will still be larger walking green areas around it .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Best thing they heath could do is close down all car parking spaces and build on them , and provide more park and ride buses around Cardiff, it happens in other major cities . There is one now perhaps build upon its or add a new site .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Best thing they heath could do is close down all car parking spaces and build on them , and provide more park and ride buses around Cardiff, it happens in other major cities . There is one now perhaps build upon its or add a new site .
    no, they need to keep the car parks