+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: IF YOU WANT TO BE IN MY TEAM DON"T DO THAT

IF YOU WANT TO BE IN MY TEAM DON"T DO THAT

Quote from the Echo following MM first training session with the squad. I watched the video clip of the session on U Tube.
    All very professional but no obvious camaraderie. MM barking orders and the attitude echoes the thread title.

Very different video on Cardiff City website today showing Steve Morison's first training session. Doing the work but much more fun. Lots of happy faces and good team spirit.

What a difference

Re: IF YOU WANT TO BE IN MY TEAM DON"T DO THAT

Perhaps it is what we needed at the time, as we did have a good run of games to start with, hopefully morison's approach is exactly what we need now

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Quote from the Echo following MM first training session with the squad. I watched the video clip of the session on U Tube.
    All very professional but no obvious camaraderie. MM barking orders and the attitude echoes the thread title.

Very different video on Cardiff City website today showing Steve Morison's first training session. Doing the work but much more fun. Lots of happy faces and good team spirit.

What a difference
    I'm no MM fan but you can't really judge him for not seeing a sense of camaraderie on his first ever training session when he'd known the players for about 10 minutes. Morison's been around the place for a long time so probably knows the players already

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

What a difference
    Was that session in the Vale?

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...rep-stoke-city actually enjoyed watching that, felt really positive, like a training montage from a cheesy movie.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm no MM fan but you can't really judge him for not seeing a sense of camaraderie on his first ever training session when he'd known the players for about 10 minutes. Morison's been around the place for a long time so probably knows the players already
    I meant camaraderie between the players, and they certainly know each other. Both training sessions were after a poor run of form so similar in that respect.

No doubt MM is a proven manager, but I doubt he could inspire people. Warnock, to his credit could do both.

The title of the thread says a lot about MM's style...A more positive manager might have said...' If you want to be in my team do this.."

It’s funny, there were stacks of City fans, myself included, who were saying they liked Mick McCarthy for his honesty and straightforward manner when it was first announced he was coming here. For me, he continued like that throughout his time with us, but, at the end of his nine months with us, I don’t feel I know him any better than I did before. That’s not to say that the plain speaking Yorkshireman thing was all an act, just that there was nothing else there really apart from that.

A lot of people have talked about there being no real connection between McCarthy and the supporters, that sort of thing never bothers me much, but I think I’m probably out of step with the majority there.

By contrast to Mick McCarthy, I felt I knew Neil Harris better after his time with us. It was a favourable opinion I had of him as he seemed a decent bloke, but, although I still admire Mick McCarthy for the reasons I did when he joined us, there did seem to be a kind of shield there which meant fans and media never saw more of him than the little bit he was prepared to show.

s
    I meant camaraderie between the players, and they certainly know each other. Both training sessions were after a poor run of form so similar in that respect.

No doubt MM is a proven manager, but I doubt he could inspire people. Warnock, to his credit could do both.

The title of the thread says a lot about MM's style...A more positive manager might have said...' If you want to be in my team do this.."
    One of the first things MM did was to drop Harry Wilson, which was a big call at the time as he was undoubtedly the biggest star of that team - it seems as though he felt that he wasn't getting enough engagement during training and that was his way of achieving it. Did it work? quite possibly.
    There are more than one way to achieve the same ends though and let's wait and see how Steve Morison gets on. Stoke are a good team this season, so it won't be an easy fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s funny, there were stacks of City fans, myself included, who were saying they liked Mick McCarthy for his honesty and straightforward manner when it was first announced he was coming here. For me, he continued like that throughout his time with us, but, at the end of his nine months with us, I don’t feel I know him any better than I did before. That’s not to say that the plain speaking Yorkshireman thing was all an act, just that there was nothing else there really apart from that.

A lot of people have talked about there being no real connection between McCarthy and the supporters, that sort of thing never bothers me much, but I think I’m probably out of step with the majority there.

By contrast to Mick McCarthy, I felt I knew Neil Harris better after his time with us. It was a favourable opinion I had of him as he seemed a decent bloke, but, although I still admire Mick McCarthy for the reasons I did when he joined us, there did seem to be a kind of shield there which meant fans and media never saw more of him than the little bit he was prepared to show.
    I think Mick may have been burned a little by his experience with Ipswich. I remember he used to show a lot more character and humour when he was with Wolves and the earlier part of his tenure at Ipswich but that all seemed to go by the end of his time there with all the pressures on him

Despite the way its ended I respect Mick as I did before he joined the club, I just think it all went wrong for him and he had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think Mick may have been burned a little by his experience with Ipswich. I remember he used to show a lot more character and humour when he was with Wolves and the earlier part of his tenure at Ipswich but that all seemed to go by the end of his time there with all the pressures on him

Despite the way its ended I respect Mick as I did before he joined the club, I just think it all went wrong for him and he had to go.
    Yes, I think you could well be right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    s

One of the first things MM did was to drop Harry Wilson, which was a big call at the time as he was undoubtedly the biggest star of that team - it seems as though he felt that he wasn't getting enough engagement during training and that was his way of achieving it. Did it work? quite possibly.
    There are more than one way to achieve the same ends though and let's wait and see how Steve Morison gets on. Stoke are a good team this season, so it won't be an easy fixture.
    Tynewydd under tens wouldn’t be an easy fixture for us at the moment

Yes, I think you could well be right there.
    To be fair to MM whatever he did in his first training sessions it worked.

You could sense it all got toxic at the end, have to question why the club left him in his position so long.

Oh I see, sorry. I get your point in that case

He came across as honest, I'm not so sure he was as honest as he'd have people belive.

As for the training video maybe that's what the players need at the minute, it's nice to see. It can't be a nice place to show up for work after the run they've been on so a lighte hearted approach to training and lifting the spirits may be a plus.

Nice bit of one touch then pass as well.. And some skill on show from the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    He came across as honest, I'm not so sure he was as honest as he'd have people belive.

As for the training video maybe that's what the players need at the minute, it's nice to see. It can't be a nice place to show up for work after the run they've been on so a lighte hearted approach to training and lifting the spirits may be a plus.

Nice bit of one touch then pass as well.. And some skill on show from the youngsters.
    Even our much maligned central defenders look capable of passing the ball well under pressure in that training vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Even our much maligned central defenders look capable of passing the ball well under pressure in that training vid.
    If they can (well..) hoof it 60 yards surely they can pass it 10. I've always said all they need to do is a simple pass to a more able team mate, who can pick out a pass in midfield.

They've had it trained out of them by successive managers who just instruct them to hoof.

Nice to see their shooting boots on as well, was it Bagan who was scoring with both feet?

The inquest : so we have Warnock in good start then it wains, then Harris good start then it wains, in comes Mick good start and it wains , see where we are going here .???

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The inquest : so we have Warnock in good start then it wains, then Harris good start then it wains, in comes Mick good start and it wains , see where we are going here .???
    Is it pouring down?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Is it pouring down?
    Wissing down!

OK, this thread's got a bit surreal *image of melting clock ticking down the final minutes of extra time*

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    OK, this thread's got a bit surreal *image of melting clock ticking down the final minutes of extra time*
    Life on Mars certainly got surreal introducing old style carts into descriptions of how our ex managers City career pan out

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Life on Mars certainly got surreal introducing old style carts into descriptions of how our ex managers City career pan out
    hay wain.jpeg

How did this miss the culture thread!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wissing down!
    When it wains its wissing down..

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    hay wain.jpeg

How did this miss the culture thread!
    Nowt to do with me, constable.

Sad to say but I think he was a spent Manager when he came here. Don’t think he had the desire he once had. One last pay day for the Yorkshire Irishman.