+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oranges 'a luxury' in future push to cut carbon

Oranges 'a luxury' in future push to cut carbon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59066167

Is it possible to buy oranges in Wales that are "in season"?

Re: Oranges 'a luxury' in future push to cut carbon

This kind of thing doesn't exactly help drive the case for a greener future either.

Did you know that the colour orange was named after the fruit? Prior to the fruit being well-known in Britain the colour was referred to as yellow-red and orange coloured items, animals and and people (robins, redheads and foxes) were all described as red instead.

And did you know that in some other European languages the orange (fruit) was referred to as a Sino/Chinese apple (Apfelsine in German, Sinaasappel in Dutch).

I'll get my coat

The whole article is very interesting and there are some really good points being made. Changing our attitudes as consumers and the way we've been used to buying whatever we want whenever we want is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    The whole article is very interesting and there are some really good points being made. Changing our attitudes as consumers and the way we've been used to buying whatever we want whenever we want is a good thing.
    I can see eventually there being taxes based on how far goods are shipped or something like that, an extra % for each 500 miles of shipping for example. It would be a green policy that also favours local businesses (i.e. protectionism). I've seen examples in my career of components being made in the UK, shipped to china for visual inspection and then shipped back to the uk for assembly. Utterly wasteful.

I ate an orange after a long walk to the top of the Blorange.

Who said you can't find a rhyme for orange?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can see eventually there being taxes based on how far goods are shipped or something like that, an extra % for each 500 miles of shipping for example. It would be a green policy that also favours local businesses (i.e. protectionism). I've seen examples in my career of components being made in the UK, shipped to china for visual inspection and then shipped back to the uk for assembly. Utterly wasteful.
    I totally agree. I'm so with you on the local businesses angle. I think we'll be seeing big changes in food consumption and diet over the next decade. Your suggestion of taxes or tariffs is a good one IMO and, again, we'll have to get used to different levels of consumption,

I'm in my 70s and I well remember when an orange, in your Christmas stocking, was a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Did you know that the colour orange was named after the fruit? Prior to the fruit being well-known in Britain the colour was referred to as yellow-red and orange coloured items, animals and and people (robins, redheads and foxes) were all described as red instead.

And did you know that in some other European languages the orange (fruit) was referred to as a Sino/Chinese apple (Apfelsine in German, Sinaasappel in Dutch).

I'll get my coat
    Yes.

The answer is not to 'outlaw' exotic fruit, but to find some way of moving it around, that doesn't involve producing masses of CO2. Necessity is the mother of invention, and you can be sure that in the next five or ten years, we'll come up with a new form of propulsion to get round our current problems. The trick is to be in on it at the start.