+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midfield on Saturday

Midfield on Saturday

There's nobody left! From Morison's press conference: "Tom Sang is not available. James Collins possibly not available and Sam Bowen. Possibly Leo Bacuna and Joe Ralls.

Marlon Pack is suspended.

We are low on numbers, but that’s life!"

He went on to say: "Leo has been struggling with a hamstring, hopefully will be back at some point next week.

Sam Bowen has an issue with his plantar fascia, he will be back after the international break."

So of the senior midfielders it's only Vaulks who's definitely available?

Re: Midfield on Saturday

yikes

So are we looking at King, Patten or possibly D'Almeida stepping up if Ralls doesn't make it?

McGuiness in midfield? Colwill?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    There's nobody left! From Morison's press conference: "Tom Sang is not available. James Collins possibly not available and Sam Bowen. Possibly Leo Bacuna and Joe Ralls.

Marlon Pack is suspended.

We are low on numbers, but that’s life!"

He went on to say: "Leo has been struggling with a hamstring, hopefully will be back at some point next week.

Sam Bowen has an issue with his plantar fascia, he will be back after the international break."

So of the senior midfielders it's only Vaulks who's definitely available?
    Seems a bit rich Bowen being out for a few weeks because he’s got a problem with his car.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That piece of wretched business alone is a glaring indictment of McCarthy in my opinion

It's crazy isn't it? They're 11th with 21 points too and we helped them. It's surely a no-brainer to recall him in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's crazy isn't it? They're 11th with 21 points too and we helped them. It's surely a no-brainer to recall him in January.
    If somehow we are well clear of relegation come January then there would be an argument to leave him there. We aren't going to make the playoffs this season with or without him, and he seems to be developing really well at this level there. If relegation wasnt in the picture then we could let them continue to improve him and pay his wages then pick up the finished product in the summer. However, at the moment it certainly does seem like we could make good use of him THIS season

I'd pick players who an natural retain a ball and pass it rather than Pack it with just ball winners.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd pick players who an natural retain a ball and pass it rather than Pack it with just ball winners.
    I'm not even convinced we have many particularly strong ball winners tbh. Pack and Vaulks are deep lying midfielders positionally but aren't usually posting good numbers for tackles or interceptions. That is an area that Wintle does seem to do well in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yikes

So are we looking at King, Patten or possibly D'Almeida stepping up if Ralls doesn't make it?

McGuiness in midfield? Colwill?
    No King for the 23s so I'm assuming he's at least in the squad for Saturday

Team?

Smithies
    Ng
    McGuinness
    Flint
    Brown
    King
    Vaulks
    Colwill
    Harris
    Moore
    Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Middlesbrough are 6th - also with 21 points. Sol Bamba's return to 1st team football has been a big boost for them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Middlesbrough are 6th - also with 21 points. Sol Bamba's return to 1st team football has been a big boost for them, too.
    Bamba played a few matches for us as a holding midfielder when he first arrived as well. It would be much harder for him to do that four years down the line, but it would have been worth a try as a one off. Not having a centre back who can play out from the back scuppers us as far as moving one of them into midfield is concerned. That said, I suppose McGuiness would be an option, but I’d be inclined to play Ng there if we were desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I have to say last Saturday's game was a surreal experience. I'd forgotten Peltier was playing for 'borough too and see them both on the park under the circumstances was just mad. Warnock out there too and us playing like headless chickens. I was expecting to wake up from a nightmare any moment.

Seems a bit rich Bowen being out for a few weeks because he’s got a problem with his car.
    This comment hasn't got the credit it deserves

Bamba played a few matches for us as a holding midfielder when he first arrived as well. It would be much harder for him to do that four years down the line, but it would have been worth a try as a one off. Not having a centre back who can play out from the back scuppers us as far as moving one of them into midfield is concerned. That said, I suppose McGuiness would be an option, but I’d be inclined to play Ng there if we were desperate.
    not a bad call re: Ng

We haven’t had any midfield for months anyway, so what difference will it make

Agree.

If somehow we are well clear of relegation come January then there would be an argument to leave him there. We aren't going to make the playoffs this season with or without him, and he seems to be developing really well at this level there. If relegation wasnt in the picture then we could let them continue to improve him and pay his wages then pick up the finished product in the summer. However, at the moment it certainly does seem like we could make good use of him THIS season
    I don't think we'll be safe enough to take the risk. I think he needs to come back and play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I had to read it and re read it . Finally

Me too, fullbacks can tackle, pass and carry the ball which are all good attributes in a CM also.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We haven’t had any midfield for months anyway, so what difference will it make
    I would argue we haven't had one for a few seasons Tony.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't think anyone expected TOBW to make a joke. And especially not a good one!

So it whooshed....

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Me too, fullbacks can tackle, pass and carry the ball which are all good attributes in a CM also.
    Who's going to play right back then if Ng moves to midfield?
    The more I think about it the more logical 5 at the back becomes
    Ng McGuinness Morrison Flint Brown
    Colwill Vaulks King
    Moore Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Who's going to play right back then if Ng moves to midfield?
    The more I think about it the more logical 5 at the back becomes
    Ng McGuinness Morrison Flint Brown
    Colwill Vaulks King
    Moore Giles
    I personally have no issue with 5 at the back, we have very little options to mix it up.

I don’t think 5 at the back was the issue, more the way it was played because MM was so defensive. If you can get the wingbacks up and down the pitch it’s a different team.