Feedback

Re: Professional footballer declares that he is gay

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Did you mean the other way round?
    yes of course. in my defence I hadn't had my first coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It’s just you’ve got form
    Well if this is anything to go by, maybe I haven't got form and people on here take way too much the wrong way

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I hope so because it’s tongue & cheek humour, anyone with an ounce of sense knows that type of humour is at the heart of any gay culture.
    I watched the new Dave Chapelle stand up the other day, he's been bashed for being transphobic etc but gives a good explanation at the end.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I watched the new Dave Chapelle stand up the other day, he's been bashed for being transphobic etc but gives a good explanation at the end.
    Chappelle is a good satiricist and great on social commentary. You'd have to be us to think he's a bigot.

Some people just want to watch the world to burn and can't abide anyone thinking outside of their own lane.

It's funny how we straight men laugh at the dame in a pantomime - folk like you need to lighten up.
    what

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    what
    I havent laughed at a pantomime dame in years. I do quite like Biggins when he is on the One Show or such like though.

He has a commendable joie de vivre and is pleasantly gay in both senses of the word.

It's funny how we straight men laugh at the dame in a pantomime - folk like you need to lighten up.
    Can you explain how this at all relevant ?

I always used to think that homophobic songs and the like were just banter and anyone being wound up by them were being overly sensitive. I couldn’t believe people were getting arrested or banned for it at Brighton.

But then I heard an interview with someone from a gay football supporters group and it completely changed my mind. It’s why it’s worth listening to others people experience.

In terms of the Dave Chappell thing I haven’t heard it but taking comedy out of context is a daft thing to do to get offended by.

Feedback

I always used to think that homophobic songs and the like were just banter and anyone being wound up by them were being overly sensitive. I couldn’t believe people were getting arrested or banned for it at Brighton.

But then I heard an interview with someone from a gay football supporters group and it completely changed my mind. It’s why it’s worth listening to others people experience.

In terms of the Dave Chappell thing I haven’t heard it but taking comedy out of context is a daft thing to do to get offended by.
    so you're happy with things being offensive in the name of comedy but not for football chants. you're a living breathing juxtaposition.

You just told someone to get a grip.. For making a humorous comment..

I agree with this. It's a tough subject and I strongly object to 'wokeism' and identity politics etc which I do think drives wedges between people and fractures rather than heals society.

That said, it is important to understand these things from other perspectives and quite clearly chants that demonise homosexuality are not acceptable. Whether they cause enormous harm or not is a fair question to ask, but it cannot be used as an insult, and the club and most fans don't want it. It might be okay amongst friends, some of whom may be gay, but that is a different context again.

The same goes for 'I'd rather wear a turban than a rose' which is plainly racist. Again, the extent of harm caused is a fair debate, but it's discriminatory. In fact it's doubly discriminatory. It's one of the worst chants there is and thankfully very rarely heard now.

All of this is very nuanced however, particularly in terms of 'always shit on the English side of the bridge', 'viva Gareth Bale, **** the union jack' etc. Both of which quite clearly fall foul of being hate crimes and CCFC probably have as many English fans as we do BAME or LGBT. Even singing 'sign on' at Liverpool fans. Is this not as harmful as a racist trope? Who is to say? A big issue for me is also political bigotry. As many people throughout history have been killed for a political belief as a religious one, so we need to be careful on that too.

As mentioned, I have no time for the 'woke language police' or puritanical approach to it all but a line does need to be drawn and chants that mock gay people or sikhs etc does need to be defined as not acceptable. I wouldn't ban fans for life for it, but it's fair for the authorities to clamp down on it.

Can you explain how this at all relevant ?
    I’m trying to say in a different setting it’s acceptable taking the piss without folk getting offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    so you're happy with things being offensive in the name of comedy but not for football chants. you're a living breathing juxtaposition.
    Context is important as it is in all aspects of life.

Things aren’t black and white and different contexts make different things offensive.

I’m trying to say in a different setting it’s acceptable taking the piss without folk getting offended.
    In a different setting, that being a theatrical performance with actors playing over the top characters.

In a different setting, that being a theatrical performance with actors playing over the top characters.
    Sounds like professional football to me..🤔

I think this thread sums up why it’s not worth a gay footballer coming out. The just banter brigade would be out every game then crying about being called out for being twats/making up shit excuses like “where did it even say being gay is bad”

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's one of the worst chants there is and thankfully very rarely heard now.
    aberfan, munich, galatasary and hillsborough all beg to differ.

Feedback

Context is important as it is in all aspects of life.

Things aren’t black and white and different contexts make different things offensive.
    people take offence, offence isn't given. some people need to toughen up a bit and realise being offended doesn't actually do anything to you.

oh I've been offended....so what, will the earth stop spinning? Are we all going to die as a result?

receiving a kick in the bollocks just because you are English or Indian is very different from having "I'd rather wear a turban than a rose" sung at you.

Feedback

you've seen us play then

I'm not letting my ego get in the way of anything. You're the bigot sludge. you're the one who often proclaims that you hate, nay despise, 17m British people simply because they exercise their democratic right to vote a different way to you.

If you really think that anyone would prefer to be English over Indian, where the chances are you'll be one of the hundreds of millions of the Indian subclass that live in abject poverty (where poverty really means poverty), then you're nuts. Its a song sung at football. It doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

you and the likes of Croesyblue get offended at everything. There is no banter, there is no humour, just offense. And if you get offended, what next? Do all the kids in the stadium get cancer as a result? Who decides what is and is not offensive and whether it should be sung. It certainly is not you. Who decides that no one can say anything that may or may not cause offence. Again, it certainly is not you.
    Fair play everybody has an ego and doesn't like being wrong but you have one the size of a fridge freezer

You have got some brass neck trying to wriggle your way out of this one

It's an extremely offensive chant sung by white Welsh people at English white people telling them that they are so sub standard that they would rather be Asian than English

The spokesperson for a Hindu community centre in Grangetown told us that his son heard this song when he was a steward.......and he was very offended . So it doesn't matter what you or I , white blokes think , this song is racist and offensive

Now several people have pulled you up on this , you have the choice to accept that you wernt aware of the song and you could have done that , you think you would have been ridiculed but people have tried to explain to you , clearly , why it is so offensive

Yet you are not able to say OK lads no worries and you would have got no problem , no worries 👍 back in return

But you can't have that can you ?

You are like a slippery eel , it's fecking embarrassing

You are wrong , it's an offensive song , admit it or forever play the idiot

Feedback

I think this thread sums up why it’s not worth a gay footballer coming out. The just banter brigade would be out every game then crying about being called out for being twats/making up shit excuses like “where did it even say being gay is bad”
    no one has said anything of the sort. What has been said is that people need to stop being so bloody sensitive.

aberfan, munich, galatasary and hillsborough all beg to differ.
    Well, I said 'one of', and I agree with you, that those chants, that belittle the deaths of people are worse. But that doesn't make singing "Id rather wear a turban than a rose" any better. In fact, comparing to those genuinely sick chants kind of confirms it's status.

people take offence, offence isn't given. some people need to toughen up a bit and realise being offended doesn't actually do anything to you.

oh I've been offended....so what, will the earth stop spinning? Are we all going to die as a result?

receiving a kick in the bollocks just because you are English or Indian is very different from having "I'd rather wear a turban than a rose" sung at you.
    You really are making a dick out of yourself here

That song being sung gets heard by a young Indian lad working as a steward , he tells his mates , he and his mates don't come anymore

Do you think Asian people should have to listen to this song at football or rugby matches ?

Should they just ......toughen up ?

You are an idiot

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Fair play everybody has an ego and doesn't like being wrong but you have one the size of a fridge freezer

You have got some brass neck trying to wriggle your way out of this one

It's an extremely offensive chant sung by white Welsh people at English white people telling them that they are so sub standard that they would rather be Asian than English

The spokesperson for a Hindu community centre in Grangetown told us that his son heard this song when he was a steward.......and he was very offended . So it doesn't matter what you or I , white blokes think , this song is racist and offensive

Now several people have pulled you up on this , you have the choice to accept that you wernt aware of the song and you could have done that , you think you would have been ridiculed but people have tried to explain to you , clearly , why it is so offensive

Yet you are not able to say OK lads no worries and you would have got no problem , no worries �� back in return

But you can't have that can you ?

You are like a slippery eel , it's fecking embarrassing

You are wrong , it's an offensive song , admit it or forever play the idiot
    you seem to have skipped the bit where you hate 17m people, wishing them ill will just because they hold different political views. I'm not the bigot sludge, you are.

My view on this is that its a football song designed to wind up opposing fans. whether it does or not is moot.

and just so we are clear, which race are we targeting when we reference turban? And why is a hindu getting upset about turbans? Sikhs and muslims wear turbans, but hindus do not.