+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Professional footballer declares that he is gay

Re: Professional footballer declares that he is gay

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I've already explained I was asking due to my own curiosity, so if course previous context doesn't matter.

How is it racist to state (in words or song) you would rather be Scottish than Irish? That's what you've already said on here. That is ridiculous.

Is singing a taunt regarding one ethnicity being more favourable (implied by the tone of the song better) than another one should they be put up for choice racist or not?

Yes. End of. You came in the first instance asking me if signing it was racist, you had your answer and decided I had not been addressing your suggestion of singing but saying "So saying "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" a sentence that isn't abusing either nationality, but is more positive to one than the other is racist." <- (not put as a question you drew this statement from what you had gathered from my answer specifically regarding singing it - when that content wasn't there).

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    but you're not average adz, and you know more than most on the subject...so you know only too well that its not just brown people who wear turbans.
    But it is the average person who would sing the song. Probably most of those who sing it would have lower social capital than most and think brown people of all types and ethnicities wear turbans.

They are the ones who are making the (implied) message.

I asked a question of Adz directly related to what he wrote. Perhaps you can tell me which part of Adz's post is acceptable for me to comment on.
    Read back your many quotes

"I'm not defending anyone or anything.

Do you think football fans believe in everything they sing?

Do you know the intentions of those singing the song? have you spoken to them and asked or are you making assumptions based on what you think may be the case?

For this particular song to have any meaning to you would imply you believe one is lesser than the other. if you don't believe that then its a nonsense song like hey diddle diddle.

and incidentally, is it only brown people who wear turbans?

I'm asking why would a hindu get upset about something that has no cultural reference to them as individuals?

I don't think they're random at all. They're picking the English because we're playing an English football team.

(Interjected - But the turban, is random?)

who knows

But for this particular song to have any meaning to you would imply you believe one is lesser than the other. if you don't believe that then its a nonsense song like hey diddle diddle.

if you truly believe all people are equal then why does this song affect you so much?

if he truly believes we are all equal then he must appreciate the song has no meaning

I'll ask again, why would a hindu be upset over a song about a turban?"

then read back Adz comment:-

"*sighs* I don’t think you will EVER understand perspectives beyond your own.

So there is a song mocking a certain type of brown people. And a lot of racists who think Sikhs as “lower” than them would view all brown people as that.

In the past, Sikh communities have been attacked. And same thing has happened to other communities of colour. From a brown perspective: it has happened to Pakistanis and Bangladeshis as well. The term used was “p*** bashing”.

As an Asian, I would feel uncomfortable hearing that chant. I would feel physically unsafe as some racists are violent and racial attacks still happen to this day.

Can’t believe that you have so much mental gymnastics to defend this. Just take a break."

You responded "is it only brown people who wear turbans?"

As if the existence of people of a different skin tone to those traditionally and in the majority wearing turbans would make a difference, and prevents you from understanding why an Asian like Adz would "feel physically unsafe".

Incidentally if the points made towards you so far re why someone who is not Sikh, but Asian and clear so the appearance may feel upset from it aren't enough to enlighten you,... this is from Wikipedia :-

"Wearing turbans is common among Sikhs, including women. It is also worn by Hindu monks. The headgear also serves as a religious observance, including among Shia Muslims, who regard turban-wearing as Sunnah fucadahass.

The turban is also the traditional headdress of Sufi scholars. Additionally, turbans have often been worn by nobility, regardless of religious background."

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    The turban is also the traditional headdress of Sufi scholars. Additionally, turbans have often been worn by nobility, regardless of religious background."[/COLOR][/I]
    And before you come back saying well how can it be racist when there are instances of other people wearing them than the most.

Come on, don't act that stupid it doesn't suit you.

Is singing a taunt regarding one ethnicity being more favourable (implied by the tone of the song better) than another one should they be put up for choice racist or not?

Yes. End of. You came in the first instance asking me if signing it was racist, you had your answer and decided I had not been addressing your suggestion of singing but saying "So saying "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" a sentence that isn't abusing either nationality, but is more positive to one than the other is racist." <- (not put as a question you drew this statement from what you had gathered from my answer specifically regarding singing it - when that content wasn't there).
    Yes, because the theme of the thread was literally singing songs...

I then corrected it, which you seem to have ignored, because you're on the "team racist" side and singing (to you) makes it racist and I'm guessing saying it doesn't, as you don't seem to want to answer that one.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This thread is unbelievable, one man make himself look a bit silly about misunderstanding the target of a song, then instead of holding his hands and laughing at himself about it spends the next 9 pages twisting himself in knots defending a song that is quite clearly racist even though he himself is not. There's some absolutely mad ones on this board
    …or he is on an absolute wind up and wallowing in the fact that he’s caught at least 3 whales from what I can read…🙄

Assume there must be a few who are unfortunately unemployed.

Very entertaining nevertheless… filled my entire lunch hour 🤣🤣🤣👍

Yes, because the theme of the thread was literally singing songs...

I then corrected it, which you seem to have ignored, because you're on the "team racist" side and singing (to you) makes it racist and I'm guessing saying it doesn't, as you don't seem to want to answer that one.
    Corrected?

You made the interactions:- .

1st - Was the question is singing it racist......to which I said yes.

2nd following my answer you made a statement not questioning me (no question mark involved) - "So saying "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" a sentence that isn't abusing either nationality, but is more positive to one than the other is racist. " You followed the full stop by exclaiming that you would have had enough of the internet for the day if this is where it is.

I responded to this by saying

"You said you were singing it

Sounds a bit odd to be singing it if it's not intended to cause offence, my dear."

You then appeared to fail to accept you had said singing - responding to this "So saying"

You now maintain I ignored a question which didn't exist.

As you wish to have put that question to me and have had it answered (sorry please do so next time if you want an answer) - I'm afraid you do not supply enough further information with regard the "saying" of it - how is it being said, what is being said around it? Is it merely an expression of which one the person feels suits better in a hypothetical theoretical choice of ethnicity?

Is the statement alone racist? No but the context in every occasion is individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I’ve heard I’d rather wear a turban than a rose plenty of times with nothing happening.
    Not recently

Corrected?

You made the interactions:- .

1st - Was the question is singing it racist......to which I said yes.

2nd following my answer you made a statement not questioning me (no question mark involved) - "So saying "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" a sentence that isn't abusing either nationality, but is more positive to one than the other is racist. " You followed the full stop by exclaiming that you would have had enough of the internet for the day if this is where it is.

I responded to this by saying

"You said you were singing it

Sounds a bit odd to be singing it if it's not intended to cause offence, my dear."

You then appeared to fail to accept you had said singing - responding to this "So saying"

You now maintain I ignored a question which didn't exist.

As you wish to have put that question to me and have had it answered (sorry please do so next time if you want an answer) - I'm afraid you do not supply enough further information with regard the "saying" of it - how is it being said, what is being said around it? Is it merely an expression of which one the person feels suits better in a hypothetical theoretical choice of ethnicity?

Is the statement alone racist? No but the context in every occasion is individual.
    I corrected myself, to ask "if it was said".

A whole big portion of my day is being wasted here, I don't need a rundown of what was said, it's been said I can scroll up and read it.

Thank you for putting the answer after that absolute titanic sized block of text. I now have an answer.

Cheers.

That wasn't hard was it.

That wasn't hard was it.
    That's what she said

That's what she said
    Short and sweet.

Remember less is more, don't burn our eyes with paragraphs.

Not for me when people are trying to maintain things happened one way when they didn't. Sometimes people squirm out of what has been said to take advantage that it's pages back for someone to have to go read.

Indeed some people put something like I'd sing then when quoted on it a few messages down quote other messages saying something different as if to conceal the singing was ever said.

On the show goes

Zzzz

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    But it is the average person who would sing the song. Probably most of those who sing it would have lower social capital than most and think brown people of all types and ethnicities wear turbans.

They are the ones who are making the (implied) message.
    You think the average person would ding it?

On the show goes

Zzzz
    You can not watch the show if you want your free choice - Why don't you just switch off your pc/tablet/phone and go and do something less boring instead?

You think the average person would ding it?
    Can you reword that question?

You can not watch the show if you want your free choice - Why don't you just switch off your pc/tablet/phone and go and do something less boring instead?
    I thought the whole point of messageboard/forums was to interact.

I just interacted on one. Fascinating.

I thought the whole point of messageboard/forums was to interact.

I just interacted on one. Fascinating.
    You're the one who said ZZZ, and as you'd been attempting to instruct me with advice in the prior comment to that all I did was hear your zzzs and remind you an option given you are that tired was to switch off.

You're the one who said ZZZ, and as you'd been attempting to instruct me with advice in the prior comment to that all I did was hear your zzzs and remind you an option given you are that tired was to switch off.
    I'd previously mentioned your huge replies, you then replied again, hence the zzz as I was expecting more overly long replies.

You don't half keep on it must be said, your wife must be impressed.

I'd previously mentioned your huge replies, you then replied again, hence the zzz as I was expecting more overly long replies.

You don't half keep on it must be said, your wife must be impressed.
    I'm like ****ing David Goggins mate I answer how I wish and I'm ****ing relentless. Will die that way too.

I'm like ****ing David Goggins mate I answer how I wish and I'm ****ing relentless. Will die that way too.
    I missed that part in the book I'll have to re read it.

I thought "I do what I ****ing want when I want" was a Kevin quote.

I missed that part in the book I'll have to re read it.

I thought "I do what I ****ing want when I want" was a Kevin quote.
    It's ok some things sink in quicker for some people than others.

You ever heard him discussing flipping the narrative - instead of listening to someone else's words and living by them, trying to fit in, he started looking at his own narrative and changing it - owning his mind and future and thoughts?

If not I can't help you there.

Dunno your Kevin reference

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Can you reword that question?
    I meant sing, not ding.

Apologies for the one single typo and the very obvious confusion it caused

I meant sing, not ding.

Apologies for the one single typo and the very obvious confusion it caused
    I have doubts, hence why I said:

“Probably most of those who sing it would have lower social capital than most and think brown people of all types and ethnicities wear turbans.”

And with the bell curve, half of the people are less than average.

But going back to the main point: the chant is problematic

Well two people have had an absolute leathering on here yet they keep coming back for more ....instead of just accepting they were wrong

Are women like this on the Internet or is it just blokes ?