+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Professional footballer declares that he is gay

Re: Professional footballer declares that he is gay

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    No, but the song is aimed at them. And to pre-empt your next smartypants question, no I haven't asked every person who has ever sung it.
    I think we're way past smartypants, we're heading into breakdown territory

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    *sighs* I don’t think you will EVER understand perspectives beyond your own.

So there is a song mocking a certain type of brown people. And a lot of racists who think Sikhs as “lower” than them would view all brown people as that.

In the past, Sikh communities have been attacked. And same thing has happened to other communities of colour. From a brown perspective: it has happened to Pakistanis and Bangladeshis as well. The term used was “p*** bashing”.

As an Asian, I would feel uncomfortable hearing that chant. I would feel physically unsafe as some racists are violent and racial attacks still happen to this day.

Can’t believe that you have so much mental gymnastics to defend this. Just take a break.
    I note he's responded to you but I think it may help if I collect his thoughts in quotes into one big super quote which may help you understand his approach to this, maybe you could answer the questions within them :-

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    I'm not defending anyone or anything.

Do you think football fans believe in everything they sing?

Do you know the intentions of those singing the song? have you spoken to them and asked or are you making assumptions based on what you think may be the case?

For this particular song to have any meaning to you would imply you believe one is lesser than the other. if you don't believe that then its a nonsense song like hey diddle diddle.

and incidentally, is it only brown people who wear turbans?

I'm asking why would a hindu get upset about something that has no cultural reference to them as individuals?

I don't think they're random at all. They're picking the English because we're playing an English football team.

(Interjected - But the turban, is random?)

who knows

But for this particular song to have any meaning to you would imply you believe one is lesser than the other. if you don't believe that then its a nonsense song like hey diddle diddle.

if you truly believe all people are equal then why does this song affect you so much?

if he truly believes we are all equal then he must appreciate the song has no meaning

I'll ask again, why would a hindu be upset over a song about a turban?

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Amazing. You therefore can chant racism but not be racist.

F***ing hell mate.
    If I were to sing "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" would that be racist?

Yes giving that race can refer to ethnic and racial groups

I'm not defending anyone or anything.

and incidentally, is it only brown people who wear turbans?
    If you ask the average person on the street “who wears a turban” then you would find out what people associate turbans with.

So much mental gymnastics. If it was real gymnastics, it would be worse than Callum Paterson’s cartwheel celebration.

Yes giving that race can refer to ethnic and racial groups
    So saying "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" a sentence that isn't abusing either nationality, but is more positive to one than the other is racist.

Well **** me with a Henry hoover. I've had enough Internet for one day if this is where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    So saying "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" a sentence that isn't abusing either nationality, but is more positive to one than the other is racist.

Well **** me with a Henry hoover. I've had enough Internet for one day if this is where its at.
    You said you were singing it

Sounds a bit odd to be singing it if it's not intended to cause offence, my dear.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I think we're way past smartypants, we're heading into breakdown territory
    I think that ship sailed several pages ago!

Sounds a bit odd to be singing it if it's not intended to cause offence, my dear.
    "so saying"

Yeah I'd walk away as well if I was you, you and your chum are making a bit of a show of yourselves

"so saying"

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    If you ask the average person on the street “who wears a turban” then you would find out what people associate turbans with.

So much mental gymnastics. If it was real gymnastics, it would be worse than Callum Paterson’s cartwheel celebration.
    but you're not average adz, and you know more than most on the subject...so you know only too well that its not just brown people who wear turbans.

but you're not average adz, and you know more than most on the subject...so you know only too well that its not just brown people who wear turbans.
    You f**king idiot how rude can you be pretending to be this ****ing dumb

You don't need to help him out, he's doing alright on his own

I'm not letting my ego get in the way of anything. You're the bigot sludge. you're the one who often proclaims that you hate, nay despise, 17m British people simply because they exercise their democratic right to vote a different way to you.

If you really think that anyone would prefer to be English over Indian, where the chances are you'll be one of the hundreds of millions of the Indian subclass that live in abject poverty (where poverty really means poverty), then you're nuts. Its a song sung at football. It doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

you and the likes of Croesyblue get offended at everything. There is no banter, there is no humour, just offense. And if you get offended, what next? Do all the kids in the stadium get cancer as a result? Who decides what is and is not offensive and whether it should be sung. It certainly is not you. Who decides that no one can say anything that may or may not cause offence. Again, it certainly is not you.
    Aint that the truth .

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You don't need to help him out, he's doing alright on his own
    I'm not trying to help anyone out, I am asking out of my own curiosity to see where people are at with it. Thanks.

"so saying"
    Last post in the conversation I said "so saying" it makes sense to go with the last quote.

Feedback

You f**king idiot how rude can you be pretending to be this ****ing dumb
    enlighten me oh ultracrepidarian

Last post in the conversation I said "so saying" it makes sense to go with the last quote.
    You started with the question
    "If I were to sing "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" would that be racist?"

Makes sense to answer the question rather than a following comment that hadn't yet been made by yourself changing sing to saying.

Makes sense not to ignore the initial context the OP describes it happening in, just because he made a second context - the 2nd doesn't negate that they stated the 1st at all.
    It is evident our minds think differently however.

enlighten me oh ultracrepidarian
    Seriously you read all Adz-a32 said:-

"*sighs* I don’t think you will EVER understand perspectives beyond your own.

So there is a song mocking a certain type of brown people. And a lot of racists who think Sikhs as “lower” than them would view all brown people as that.

In the past, Sikh communities have been attacked. And same thing has happened to other communities of colour. From a brown perspective: it has happened to Pakistanis and Bangladeshis as well. The term used was “p*** bashing”.

As an Asian, I would feel uncomfortable hearing that chant. I would feel physically unsafe as some racists are violent and racial attacks still happen to this day.

Can’t believe that you have so much mental gymnastics to defend this. Just take a break."

And you came back with "you know all too well not only brown people wear Turbans".

Does make you wonder whether you had a smile on your face as you typed it.

Feedback

Seriously you read all Adz-a32 said:-

"*sighs* I don’t think you will EVER understand perspectives beyond your own.

Can’t believe that you have so much mental gymnastics to defend this. Just take a break."

And you came back with "you know all too well not only brown people wear Turbans".

Does make you wonder whether you had a smile on your face as you typed it.
    why would I have a smile on my face? do you think racism is funny?

why would I have a smile on my face? do you think racism is funny?
    I can't believe you would read what Adz wrote then comment what you did without being cool with racism.

It was as if everything was in one ear out of the other.

"so saying"
    You started with the question
    "If I were to sing "I'd rather be Scottish than Irish" would that be racist?"

Makes sense to answer the question rather than a following comment that hadn't yet been made by yourself changing sing to saying.

Makes sense not to ignore the initial context the OP describes it happening in, just because he made a second context - the 2nd doesn't negate that they stated the 1st at all.
    It is evident our minds think differently however.
    I've already explained I was asking due to my own curiosity, so if course previous context doesn't matter.

How is it racist to state (in words or song) you would rather be Scottish than Irish? That's what you've already said on here. That is ridiculous.

Feedback

I can't believe you would read what Adz wrote then comment what you did without being cool with racism.

It was as if everything was in one ear out of the other.
    I asked a question of Adz directly related to what he wrote. Perhaps you can tell me which part of Adz's post is acceptable for me to comment on.

I have now unticked all the extra quotes