+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quinton de Kock.

Quinton de Kock.

It’ll probably develop into another argument about the merits or otherwise of taking the knee, but something like this strikes me as being even more awkward in a country like South Africa and their cricket Board must need it like a hole in the head;-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...told-take-knee

Re: Quinton de Kock.

I was going to post this yesterday but decided against it.

Given S Africas history I agree its a nightmare for their cricket board.

de Kock by name……

Good quote from the captain - “With freedom of choice, as much as we decide what you want to do, we can’t escape the consequences of the choices and decisions that we make,”

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Good quote from the captain - “With freedom of choice, as much as we decide what you want to do, we can’t escape the consequences of the choices and decisions that we make,”
    There aren't going to be any consequences long term because De Kock is one of their best players.

I don't think anyone should be forced to 'taking the knee ' the same for those who wish too, freedom of choice surely?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I don't think anyone should be forced to 'taking the knee ' the same for those who wish too, freedom of choice surely?
    Read the captain’s quote, no-one is forced. There are lots of things I suppose that you’re not forced to do but you have to accept the consequences of not doing them.

Correct and he hasnt be forced to and never has.

I do wonder how differently it’s been received over there. Racism is a whole other level in SA.

Why don’t you try reading and understanding something for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Why don’t you try reading and understanding something for once.
    I did he withdrew from game the after a team ( directive) was issued, freedom of choice??

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Read the captain’s quote, no-one is forced. There are lots of things I suppose that you’re not forced to do but you have to accept the consequences of not doing them.
    They were all forced by the South African cricket board as it feels its right to make it (mandatory ) for its players to 'take the knee ,how is that freedom of choice.

I note there are a number of others in the team who refuse to take the knee who I guess are feeling the pressure , perhaps a more democratic approach would be not to make it mandatory .

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Correct and he hasnt be forced to and never has.
    He and they have been forced by this directive

“The CSA Board will await a further report from team management before deciding on the next steps.

(All players are expected to follow this directive for the remaining games of the World Cup.)

“CSA thanks all other Proteas players for agreeing to unite and make such an important public stand against racism.”

CSA put a directive out as not all players were taking the knee in warm ups. The directive was to show a united stance against racism.

De Kock decided for whatever reason he couldnt/wouldn't do it. Freedom of choice he decided to withdraw.

There are people , several on here , who have put forward arguments for not taking the knee and the whole issue of BLM .

I think that people of course should have the choice . I think if football fans were booing individual players because they didn't take the knee I some ways that would be as bad as boooing players for doing so .

But clearly it's going to happen . If someone won't take the knee after being asked by the cricket or football authorities and their team people are not going to take the view that they don't want politics in sport or its time to move on ......many will think the person not taking the knee is racist .

So that person may get abuse at the ground or on social media or just walking down the street

It's all a bit of a mess really . If I was in his position I would just do it .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There are people , several on here , who have put forward arguments for not taking the knee and the whole issue of BLM .

I think that people of course should have the choice . I think if football fans were booing individual players because they didn't take the knee I some ways that would be as bad as boooing players for doing so .

But clearly it's going to happen . If someone won't take the knee after being asked by the cricket or football authorities and their team people are not going to take the view that they don't want politics in sport or its time to move on ......many will think the person not taking the knee is racist .

So that person may get abuse at the ground or on social media or just walking down the street

It's all a bit of a mess really . If I was in his position I would just do it .
    One could argue he feel its a hunan rights thing , and yes he could just abide by the directive , not all of the squad are abiding by it , some just stand like him ,some stand and raise a fist ,some take to the knee, the South African Cricket board want a uniform approach hence the directive, the others in the squad not so talented may feel pressurised which is not right , if they all agreed you would have seen them all taking the knee, lots of images can be seen it's not the case .

Quinton de Kock is a superstar in thier ranks perhaps he's trying to help others whom feel pressured by a cricket board and not a decision taken by the players themselves as a collective 🤔

One could argue he feel its a hunan rights thing , and yes he could just abide by the directive , not all of the squad are abiding by it , some just stand like him ,some stand and raise a fist ,some take to the knee, the South African Cricket board want a uniform approach hence the directive, the others in the squad not so talented may feel pressurised which is not right , if they all agreed you would have seen them all taking the knee, lots of images can be seen it's not the case .

Quinton de Kock is a superstar in thier ranks perhaps he's trying to help others whom feel pressured by a cricket board and not a decision taken by the players themselves as a collective 🤔
    Maybe so

But I would just do it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Maybe so

But I would just do it
    It's a free world and it's understandable you feel that why, perhaps he feels by forcing people or putting pressure upon players is counter productive to the gesture dilutes its impact , some maybe taking too the knee and not wanting too for any number of reasons, there are some black players and teams that don't.

I heard a black South African journalist saying on the radio this morning that de Kock had done a lot of good work on race relations and was an active supporter of racial equality but that he thought his reasons were that he didn’t believe he should be forced to take the knee as it was a token gesture (though I think the player himself hasn’t actually made a statement yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I heard a black South African journalist saying on the radio this morning that de Kock had done a lot of good work on race relations and was an active supporter of racial equality but that he thought his reasons were that he didn’t believe he should be forced to take the knee as it was a token gesture (though I think the player himself hasn’t actually made a statement yet)
    Sounds a very luke warm reason for ruling yourself out of a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I heard another one live on television calling him a racist over this its just incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Sounds a very luke warm reason for ruling yourself out of a tournament.
    It does doesn't it? I've been reading up on CSA recently and Jonty Rhodes has revealed there are still problems behind the scenes and has been quoted as saying the black community is still subject to brutal racism, even after nearly three decades of the end of the apartheid era. I'm not saying this is connected but it's not a good look.

It strikes me as lame to argue it's a human rights thing as some have done when looking at SA's history of apartheid. Taking the knee is a mild inconvenience of a few seconds compared to 27 years imprisonment on Robben Island.

No-one should be forced into making such gestures.

Good for him. He is a class act as a cricketer. I don't want to miss a ball when he is playing, and am pretty sure that he is just standing up for his individual right not to take the knee. Does Wilfred Zaha still not partake? Still a very brave decision from a world class cricketer.

I can understand why Hilts decided not to start a thread on this, I thought was it worth it before deciding to go ahead. The reason I did was the South Africa angle which makes this case different from the more straightforward stuff that has been debated on here before. Given that country's history, it must be a very sensitive issue and for South African sports administrators it must be like trying to walk through a minefield.

What has not drawn much comment as far as I can say is that the game De Kock pulled out of was South Africa's second game in this competition, not their first. De Kock played in the first match when South Africa took on Australia's side consisting of, I'm almost certain, eleven white men and I tried to find out if the team had taken the knee then, but all I got was this unsourced quote from Google;-

"South Africa's players have been told to take a knee ahead of their remaining games at the tournament after "concerns were raised" over their "different postures" before their defeat to Australia in Abu Dhabi on Saturday."

For me, national sporting associations are asking for trouble when they start ordering a team representing their country to make gestures like taking the knee, but it is complicated and, as mentioned earlier, something of a minefield. Take England for example, this story;-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/crick...-knee-25310878

claims that it would not have been their first choice to take the knee at this World Cup and that they would have preferred to have worn t shirts with anti racism sentiments on them before their matches, only to be told that they were not allowed to wear clothing which has a "political" statement on it.

This brings home the futility and idiocy of claiming that any refusal to take the knee makes the team or person concerned racist - how could someone be if they're wearing a short deploring racism for the world to see? Similarly, I presume Sol Bamba has not been taking the knee before Middlesbrough games because they are one of the sides who don't make the gesture and haven't been dong so for more than a year, yet I'm sure Sol must have been taking the knee before our final few matches of last season when he was named as a sub because I'm sure it would have been pointed out in the media or on social media if he hadn't been doing so while the rest of his team mates were.

It seems to me that Sol is just abiding with a team vote on the subject and I can only imagine that anyone who chose to go against a team vote, be it for or against taking the knee, does so because they have very strong convictions on the matter.

Returning to DeKock, he's South Africa's best player in this format of the game in my view and this, along with the fact that we're talking South Africa with its I'll say chequered history on the subject, must have felt especially strongly on the subject to take a decision which might end up having enormous repercussions on his career.

There is an additional consideration in this case in that DeKock's decision might be founded on a resentment towards being told what to do by the South Arican cricket Board, but he has refused to take the knee before - when asked about this during a tour of the West Indies, he replied “My reason? I’ll keep it to myself. It’s my own, personal opinion. It’s everyone’s decision; no one’s forced to do anything, not in life. That’s the way I see things.”.

I don't think people should rush to conclusions about DeKock yet, but I'd said it's reasonable to ask, and possibly beneficial to the player, that he expands on that rather mealy mouthed justification of his actions.