+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morison holds first press conference ahead of Stoke clash

Morison holds first press conference ahead of Stoke clash

Steve Morison held his first press conference as Cardiff City interim manager as he looks to end the run of eight consecutive league defeats.

Morison has been managing a very successful U23's team along with former City player Tom Ramasut and the pair take over first team duties. Morison was asked if he would bring his own 'style' to the first team..

"Style is a really horrible thing to talk about," he said. 

"When you’re winning games no one cares. It only becomes a massive conversation when you’re not winning games.

"I’m going to get try and get the best out of these players, playing in a way that gets the best out of them.

"I have to be really mindful and careful of the fact that, if you give them too much information, you don’t want to confuse them.

"We’ve been doing something in the under-23s, we’ve worked on it for so long that now if you add something in, it’s really easy because all the other stuff is second nature.

"With these boys, ahead of the Stoke game, I need to tell them what I want, ask them to carry out what I want, not give them too much ‘out there’ stuff that’s been miles away from what they’ve been doing.

"Hopefully the players that go on to the pitch on Saturday will play in a way that suits them and gets the best out of them.

"That's my main focus, it's not a ripping up the rule book of how we play football. We've still got to run harder than Stoke, fight harder than Stoke and we've got to stop the ball going in our goal and make sure we put it in their goal a few times."

The former Wales international striker is one of a number of names in the frame for the job full time. He has a chance to prove himself over the next week or so with City have three games in 8 days. Stoke away followed by QPR and Huddersfield at home before the international break.

Chris Wilder, Jody Morris, Brian Barry-Murphy, Anthony Barry and Michael Flynn are other names linked.

"I’m in the betting because I’m here now!" Morison said of the betting odds.

"If I win three out of three, like we're planning on doing, then I’m going to be higher in the betting!

"Honestly, I’m not worried about it one little bit. I’m not interested in what people might say – I never have been and I never will be. I’ve got one sole focus and that is getting us a result on the weekend.

"Because, ultimately, we can’t go nine for nine." 

Re: Morison holds first press conference ahead of Stoke clash

translation : it's going to take longer than 1 week to get these guys to start passing it to each other.

I wouldn't mind him giving it a go till the end of the season .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    translation : it's going to take longer than 1 week to get these guys to start passing it to each other.

"I have to be really mindful and careful of the fact that, if you give them too much information, you don’t want to confuse them”

I get what he means but it conjures up images of neanderthals with dribble down their chins going “me kick ball?”

Comes across well

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Comes across well
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    This
    I know its no guarantee for success but its the little things.

His training session video comes across really well as well.

[QUOTE=dembethewarrior;5239685]I know its no guarantee for success but its the little things.

His training session video comes across really well as well

“as well” as what ?

OK, I’ll admit it, I’m having a sleepless night and I’m bored with crosswords and sudoku’s

[QUOTE=BLUETIT;5239740]

as well” as what ?

OK, I’ll admit it, I’m having a sleepless night and I’m bored with crosswords and sudoku’s
    Making a bit of sense in interviews ?

His attitude is good - perhaps he can get the players playing which would be good. We know there is some skill and energy there just needs to unleash it.

[QUOTE=BLUETIT;5239740]

“as well” as what ?

I'm not playing today. I had enough of a run out on here yesterday

He did co-commentary on the club channel for a game last season and he came across really well then, too. Gave some great tactical insights (at a much deeper technical level than Jason Perry's "can we get the ball wide? Can Kieffer attack it?")

There was a great article about him on WalesOnline a year or so ago talking about the changes he'd implemented in the U23s.

I'm quietly confident that, in the long term, Steve Morison will make a good manager, whether he gets that chance with us or with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    He did co-commentary on the club channel for a game last season and he came across really well then, too. Gave some great tactical insights (at a much deeper technical level than Jason Perry's "can we get the ball wide? Can Kieffer attack it?")

There was a great article about him on WalesOnline a year or so ago talking about the changes he'd implemented in the U23s.

I'm quietly confident that, in the long term, Steve Morison will make a good manager, whether he gets that chance with us or with someone else.

That all sounds promising, but, can he motivate this load of mish mash mercenary players into shape ?

Don't really see any reason why Morrison shouldn't be as good a manager as Jody Morris or the other three coaches at Man City Rangers and Chelsea mentioned. It is obviously a much harder job being a manager than being a coach requiring a much greater range of skills. Some good coaches will make good managers and some won't. Problem is it is impossible to know until they are actually in the job.

Makes sense to give the job to Morrison on a trial basis over the next three games as he knows the players and leave him in place if he does well. five or six points constitutes doing well for me maybe even four as Stoke away is tough paticularly with the injuries in midfield. Four points might even be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Can we wait until his team's played 1 minute of football first!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Can we wait until his team's played 1 minute of football first!
    he's got the warm up before the match and that's it, like everyone else