+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Splott Boozer

Re: Splott Boozer

2 old splott pubs from when I was little
    The Winbourne and the bomb and dagger

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    And what about the Bertram, the Locomotive, or the New Dock Tavern? Roath?

All Roath

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    2 old splott pubs from when I was little
    The Winbourne and the bomb and dagger
    When my nan lived in Bridgend street and visiting on Sundays, i was often sat on the step outside the Winbourne and the Bomb with Dad having a swift couple of pints whilst waiting for the bus I'm sure he was always a little early for the bus so the excuse could be made for a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    The tred was my first local when I moved down from Scotland .
    I thought it was charming pub .
    One or two of the guys post on here .
    I think the Tred was owned by the Bishops at some point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    When my nan lived in Bridgend street and visiting on Sundays, i was often sat on the step outside the Winbourne and the Bomb with Dad having a swift couple of pints whilst waiting for the bus I'm sure he was always a little early for the bus so the excuse could be made for a pint.
    My old man would do the same with me, but it was the old arcade. I'd wait outside the side entrance that leads into the market and he'd come out with 2 pints of dark and a packet of oxo crisps and a panda pop for me. I used to look through the door while he was getting served, full of proper drinkers and not that much conversation going on.

I think the Tred was owned by the Bishops at some point ?
    Bishop had the retreat in Llanedeyrn, as well as Barry Nelmes the ex England rugby international. Fun and games aplenty

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Bishop had the retreat in Llanedeyrn, as well as Barry Nelmes the ex England rugby international. Fun and games aplenty
    Old man Bishop also had the Tudor over the bridge on way down to the City at some point?, they liked lively pubs

Old man Bishop also had the Tudor over the bridge on way down to the City at some point?, they liked lively pubs
    A bloke i worked with used to drink in the Tudor, reckons that a few of the locals would go up to the valleys and pinch sheep, bring it back to the pub and kill it then Butcher it in the cellar, package it and sell it to the other punters.

The tred was my first local when I moved down from Scotland .
    I thought it was charming pub .
    One or two of the guys post on here .
    Yes Jimmy a charming pub indeed my local for 20 ODD years

My Nan used to be a barmaid in The Wimbourne. Also the Ruperra arms which is mentioned in this thread was right opposite the old 3 storey houses which of 1 I was born in.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I guess it's a lot to do with how you define Splott. I was about to suggest the Moria, and the Splotlands, but were they in Splott, or in Adamsdown?
    Both were in Adamsdown. I always wondered why the Splotlands pub was spelt with one t in it

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Did Steven have a brother called Gary?
    Dont know about that but i know Steve was married to a tall girl named Abi. Sadly Steve is no longer with us but a bit handy in his day and always laughing.

I drunk in the ruperra for 11 years and the regulars were tidy people. Started drinking there when Dai Furnish had it. Loved it when scottish Danny took over with his mrs Mary. Good times.

My nan and bamps lived in Wimborne Street and I lived with them for 6 months when we moved house.
    My bamps and 2 uncles were bookmakers working for TB Fish.
    My nan and bamps drank in all the pubs.
    My bamps played football and baseball for Splott US he also played darts and snooker my mum still has some trophies he won for the Splotlands pub.
    Proper community back then

He also had the Yellow Kangaroo

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Dont know about that but i know Steve was married to a tall girl named Abi. Sadly Steve is no longer with us but a bit handy in his day and always laughing.
    Yes you are spot on about Steve , I think the drink done him in the end . His wife Abi was over 6ft I think she was of Zulu decent a very attractive girl

I drunk in the ruperra for 11 years and the regulars were tidy people. Started drinking there when Dai Furnish had it. Loved it when scottish Danny took over with his mrs Mary. Good times.
    Although I lived about 30 yards away I only drank in there occasionally when Dai Furnish had it , I used the Rupperra when Nino Tannetta had it and when Mad Mike McCarthy took it over before he turned it into a wild Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksplott View Post
    Yes you are spot on about Steve , I think the drink done him in the end . His wife Abi was over 6ft I think she was of Zulu decent a very attractive girl
    Abi was a Somali , not to be messed with our Abi.. I am sorry to hear Steve has gone but not surprised, he was a great drinking buddy. That news has made me quite sad.
    They took a pub in Gorseinon after the Rup . I had a few sessions with them both down there after I met a young lady from Swansea. We ran away together to Steves pub .

I think it was Trevor Treblecock (think that is the name )said hello to me the other day when I was visiting one of my customers , he looked about 150 years old , I think the Tred lifestyle must have continued .
    I was always a bit surprised Dai Bishop was taking part in all the fun and games , he was a professional rugby player at the time. Wasn't taking it as seriously as he might ..

Have you moved away Mark ?

I was drunk in the ruperra for 11 years and the regulars were tidy people. Started drinking there when Dai Furnish had it. Loved it when scottish Danny took over with his mrs Mary. Good times.
    Me too , wasnt quite 11 years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksplott View Post
    Although I lived about 30 yards away I only drank in there occasionally when Dai Furnish had it , I used the Rupperra when Nino Tannetta had it and when Mad Mike McCarthy took it over before he turned it into a wild Zoo.
    Oh yes,Nino,forgot about him and you are right about MAD Mike. I moved out of the area when he took it over but i popped in now and then.Crazy pub then.

Abi was a Somali , not to be messed with our Abi.. I am sorry to hear Steve has gone but not surprised, he was a great drinking buddy. That news has made me quite sad.
    They took a pub in Gorseinon after the Rup . I had a few sessions with them both down there after I met a young lady from Swansea. We ran away together to Steves pub .

I think it was Trevor Treblecock (think that is the name )said hello to me the other day when I was visiting one of my customers , he looked about 150 years old , I think the Tred lifestyle must have continued .
    I was always a bit surprised Dai Bishop was taking part in all the fun and games , he was a professional rugby player at the time. Wasn't taking it as seriously as he might ..

Have you moved away Mark ?
    Yes Jim moved just outside Cardiff ,takes me 25 minutes to get to clifton street now. Clifton streeet is one of the reasons we moved away, a no go area at night now people fighting with swords I kid you not
    I think the guy you mention is Trebsy and yes the Tred lifestyle still goes on. Remember Dai Bishop enjoying himself on many occasions with us and at the time he was playing Pro for Hull Kingston Rovers.
    Forgot Abi was somali I was close but getting old now

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was but Splott can’t claim the Tred.
    correct but the 'clientele' () were 90% splott though, if the police were to throw a net over The Tred on a Friday night they could've solved 80% of crimes in the city..

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Cardiff Arms
    It wasn’t Habershon St though
    If my memory serves me right im sure the Cardiff Arms was one of the first pubs to have a pool table

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    correct but the 'clientele' () were 90% splott though, if the police were to throw a net over The Tred on a Friday night they could've solved 80% of crimes in the city..
    All true But fantastic times because everyone knew each other and would stick together like glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    Sunday nights on the Special VAT in the Tred back room made Monday mornings unforgettable (or was it forgettable ). I don’t think the Tred shutting benefitted the police at all. All human life was contained there under one roof, most probably became like a game of mob when it shut