+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Splott Boozer

Re: Splott Boozer

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Are there ANY pubs left in Splott? At one time, it was like there was one on every corner.
    that's the same in a lot of places. in Victorian times and earlier there was a pub on every corner and others on the street as well in some areas.
    some of the new housing areas they build don't have any pubs to walk to. if you live the Asda side of pontprennau you've got a much longer walk to find the nearest few pubs than anyone who used to live in temperance town before they knocked it down.
    in reality we all live in temperance towns these days

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's the same in a lot of places. in Victorian times and earlier there was a pub on every corner and others on the street as well in some areas.
    some of the new housing areas they build don't have any pubs to walk to. if you live the Asda side of pontprennau you've got a much longer walk to find the nearest few pubs than anyone who used to live in temperance town before they knocked it down.
    in reality we all live in temperance towns these days
    That doesn't hold too much weight when you mention Asda, they sell more booze than all the pubs in Cardiff put together. Atleast back in the day you had to make some effort in order to get a drink. Clean up, actually walk to the pub and Even speak to other people! Now it's a load of booze from the supermarket and a drink 30 seconds after closing the front door. Plenty of problems out there in suburbia me reckons.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yes I recall that club, went there a few times, open really late and had a weird layout. It was about 2am when we got attacked, if I hadn’t drunk about 12 pints of Guinness I might have faired a bit better. I’d love to have found the buggers after as they did a right job on my buddy who was a small harmless type.
    That was the Old Howardian club, think it had a 24 hour licence with its own uniformed security & clientele

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksplott View Post
    The Eastern was the place to go to get almost anything you wanted as long as you knew the right person.
    I can't place this pub. Where was the Eastern?

It was at the back of St germans church. in Adamsdown about 2 to 3 hundred yards from the Tred.

Metal Street, Adamsdown, big white building right next door to Adamsdown Junior School

another great boozer of old, the only reason outsiders were looked on with suspicion was because they may have been plain clothed coppers, a lot of mad shit went down in that pub, I couldn't even begin to divulge

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    Metal Street, Adamsdown, big white building right next door to Adamsdown Junior School

another great boozer of old, the only reason outsiders were looked on with suspicion was because they may have been plain clothed coppers, a lot of mad shit went down in that pub, I couldn't even begin to divulge
    100% correct about the plain clothes police.
    And when they were sussed (and they were) even they did not hang about as it was made known to them .

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That was the Old Howardian club, think it had a 24 hour licence with its own uniformed security & clientele
    That,s the one,the entrance was down a small alleyway I think right next door to the police station. You wouldn,t know it was there and it was a strange layout inside like going into Dr who,s Tardis quite big inside and I think it had a few different levels.

The Great Eastern was a really old place, before it was a pub it was a stand alone building on agricultural land known as a Lower Splott Farm. It was demolished, more or less, overnight in a way as shady as the infamous shenanigans that took place within its four walls.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Great Eastern was a really old place, before it was a pub it was a stand alone building on agricultural land known as a Lower Splott Farm. It was demolished, more or less, overnight in a way as shady as the infamous shenanigans that took place within its four walls.
    I think it was owned or used by Captain Morgan as was Llanrumney hall, not sure but I don;t think there were many other buildings between the two at the time Mr Morgan was around.

Not a complete list, and not simply Splott, but lots of pubs (and photos) shown here...

https://roathlocalhistorysociety.org...-history/pubs/

Not a complete list, and not simply Splott, but lots of pubs (and photos) shown here...

Thanks for posting the link up. Some interesting facts and histories in that

Very interesting I was mistaken on the Eastern’s history, it was Upper Splott Farm not lower, schoolboy error, Lower Splott was the Portmanmoor Rd area.

I told you the sign was tiny

At least you were brave enough to finish your pint Jim. Most strangers who entered usually left at least half and certainly none of them ever bought a second.
    It was indeed a closed shop almost members only type of pub. As you said if a stranger who came in for a pint the juke box would stop and silence prevailed and all the punters would wait until someone knew the stranger, then as if by magic if someone did the juke box would go back on and conversations would resume.
    The obvious reason for this was because the place was full of ex cons and dodgy characters , as I said earlier in the thread you could get almost anything in there as long as you knew the right person. Unless you had been to jail or you did not have a crimnal record you propbably would be best avoiding the place ,however if you wanted a criminal record or go to jail this could be arranged also.
    How you doing Jim ,are you still commuting from Swansea?
    Been back down the Bay for the last couple of years.
    Taking it easy , semi retired, perhaps 75% retired . Still got everything going on at my unit though.

100% correct about the plain clothes police.
    And when they were sussed (and they were) even they did not hang about as it was made known to them .
    How were customers in the bar able to know if someone was a plain-clothes officer? Because they weren't a regular, were clean-cut looking, dressed more formally than the average punter or because they were drinking alone?

It has happened to me a couple of times (wrongly accused of being a police officer). Once, was when I was drinking in the Carpenter's Arms, Rumney and the other time was when I was in the Big Windsor, down the docks. In both cases they were adamant that I WAS a copper - and no, I didn't leave...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    How were customers in the bar able to know if someone was a plain-clothes officer? Because they weren't a regular, were clean-cut looking, dressed more formally than the average punter or because they were drinking alone?

It has happened to me a couple of times (wrongly accused of being a police officer). Once, was when I was drinking in the Carpenter's Arms, Rumney and the other time was when I was in the Big Windsor, down the docks. In both cases they were adamant that I WAS a copper - and no, I didn't leave...
    All of the above but mainly because they weren't a regular,its quite easy to make people who are strangers feel uncomfortable in a hostile enviroment.

All of the above but mainly because they weren't a regular,its quite easy to make people who are strangers feel uncomfortable in a hostile enviroment.
    Well, that's true enough.

Enjoyed reading this thread.

Some good memories of visiting many of the pubs mentioned.

Didn't make all of them though, especially some of the very dodgy ones mentioned.

There's a mention on that webpage of a place called the Lord Wimbourne. It was apparently on Portmanoor Road, but was demolished sometime in the early seventies. I don't remember it, but it might ring a bell with someone.

http://beerbrewer.blogspot.com/2017/...h-cardiff.html

There's a mention on that webpage of a place called the Lord Wimbourne. It was apparently on Portmanoor Road, but was demolished sometime in the early seventies. I don't remember it, but it might ring a bell with someone.

http://beerbrewer.blogspot.com/2017/...h-cardiff.html
    My Nan used to be a barmaid in this pub. I can just about remember it , in the photo it looks an impressive building a shame they had to knock it down, but at the time most of the houses down the bottom of Splott had to be cleared as most were in disrepair and some were declared as slums.
    I can remember when they started clearing all the streets in the area and we used to play in the old houses when the families who lived there were relocated to places like Llanrumney and Ely.
    Lost some schoolmates who I have never seen since , although I have seen a few over the years.

My Nan used to be a barmaid in this pub. I can just about remember it , in the photo it looks an impressive building a shame they had to knock it down, but at the time most of the houses down the bottom of Splott had to be cleared as most were in disrepair and some were declared as slums.
    I can remember when they started clearing all the streets in the area and we used to play in the old houses when the families who lived there were relocated to places like Llanrumney and Ely.
    Lost some schoolmates who I have never seen since , although I have seen a few over the years.
    My first “courting” days, were in Greenhill St and Layard (spelling) Street

Bottom end of Splott. Great times

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    My first “courting” days, were in Greenhill St and Layard (spelling) Street

Bottom end of Splott. Great times
    We would call anything past Robinson's Square down the Bottom (oh ehh misses ) I wasn't allowed down this area as I was classed as being from the posh part of Splott near the Ruppera ,and would be chased away by the big boys

We would call anything past Robinson's Square down the Bottom (oh ehh misses ) I wasn't allowed down this area as I was classed as being from the posh part of Splott near the Ruppera ,and would be chased away by the big boys

Only ever entered these streets from the Moorland Road end, by the railway arches

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Only ever entered these streets from the Moorland Road end, by the railway arches
    Moorland road arches , now that's where my first " courting days" were spent.