+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Amazing comeback from the team that couldn’t score finally gets Cardiff City’s points tally moving again.

Amazing comeback from the team that couldn’t score finally gets Cardiff City’s points tally moving again.

Old faults remain, but this feels like a win for caretaker boss Steve Morison.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Amazing comeback from the team that couldn’t score finally gets Cardiff City’s points tally moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Old faults remain, but this feels like a win for caretaker boss Steve Morison.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Thanks Bob.

The goals feel good, the comeback feels good. Next game be good to see some progress on the midfields ability to close down and stop runs. I might be a bit harsh but I’m starting to think McGuniess is a very unlucky player; seems he’s never quite in the right place, never quite making the right pass. I’m sure some of that will come with experience but right now I think he sums up where we are, trying to find youngsters that can get to championship level quickly to fill gaps in ability that for previous managers and financial reasons we are stuck with. Feels to me like our season - and avoiding relegation - depends very much on those young players success in the positions the manager(s) put them in

Re: Amazing comeback from the team that couldn’t score finally gets Cardiff City’s points tally moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Thanks Bob.

The goals feel good, the comeback feels good. Next game be good to see some progress on the midfields ability to close down and stop runs. I might be a bit harsh but I’m starting to think McGuniess is a very unlucky player; seems he’s never quite in the right place, never quite making the right pass. I’m sure some of that will come with experience but right now I think he sums up where we are, trying to find youngsters that can get to championship level quickly to fill gaps in ability that for previous managers and financial reasons we are stuck with. Feels to me like our season - and avoiding relegation - depends very much on those young players success in the positions the manager(s) put them in
    When you consider that all of the other centrebacks (plus Brown) have all been left out of one of the last two matches, I suppose McGuinness has to be considered our first choice in that position currently, but I know what you mean. I don’t think he was at fault with the deflected goal and, by our standards, he was very close to the scorer for the first one, but he is a work in progress and it’s an indictment of the others and a sign of our weakness that he seems so important to us at the moment.

When you consider that all of the other centrebacks (plus Brown) have all been left out of one of the last two matches, I suppose McGuinness has to be considered our first choice in that position currently, but I know what you mean. I don’t think he was at fault with the deflected goal and, by our standards, he was very close to the scorer for the first one, but he is a work in progress and it’s an indictment of the others and a sign of our weakness that he seems so important to us at the moment.
    I don’t like McGuiness’ positioning. Seems to wander too much over the back line to me

Let's cut McGuiness some slack. It's been a car-crash this season back there. There's no magic fix with our squad but let's hope Steve Morison get's the right combo and instills some discipline and confidence. I prefer Sean Morrison on the bench this season though.

My last comment was a general one and not directed at you or your blog-post Bob! Or anyone in fact. Just the voices in my head!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Let's cut McGuiness some slack. It's been a car-crash this season back there. There's no magic fix with our squad but let's hope Steve Morison get's the right combo and instills some discipline and confidence. I prefer Sean Morrison on the bench this season though.
    I agree about cutting slack. For me it’s an example of what we have right now. Younger players as the older ones not cutting it. With youth comes that lack of experience.

One area that’s not happened yet is midfield. I’d like to see our Blackpool loanee back to see what he can do in midfield as Blackpool seem to think he’s the engine room that’s making the others look better

Just seen Harris’s disallowed goal.

I think VAR would have allowed it, as although Harris is in front of the defenders, he’s behind the ball when it is played across

McGuinness was beaten to the header for the goal but not much in it he's young and learning..
    The second goal would have probably been saved if it wasn't deflected off McGuinness who was at no fault.. Bit of bad luck..
    Another referee would have given us a free kick before their third goal..

I agree about cutting slack. For me it’s an example of what we have right now. Younger players as the older ones not cutting it. With youth comes that lack of experience.

One area that’s not happened yet is midfield. I’d like to see our Blackpool loanee back to see what he can do in midfield as Blackpool seem to think he’s the engine room that’s making the others look better
    Definitely. I'd like to see him in Cardiff City shirt for the second half of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Definitely. I'd like to see him in Cardiff City shirt for the second half of this season.
    For an awful moment, because of a missing 'a' I heard this in Mad Mick's voice in my head (I don't mean Mad Mick's voice is actually in my head... or is it? )

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I don’t like McGuiness’ positioning. Seems to wander too much over the back line to me
    He does but you could say that about all our defenders this season. In fact the worst culprit is Nelson who I've now totally lost patience with. I was willing to give him the benefit because he does give us some pace and mobility at the back which we're sadly lacking but I'm now resigned to the fact he's just not up to it. Flint can count himself hard done by to be dropped yesterday. A perfect example was when Nelson almost cost us the game at the end yesterday when he completely lost Surridge, who just hung around at the back stick and was totally free to shoot after Nelson went wandering towards a ball that the other defenders were dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    He does but you could say that about all our defenders this season. In fact the worst culprit is Nelson who I've now totally lost patience with. I was willing to give him the benefit because he does give us some pace and mobility at the back which we're sadly lacking but I'm now resigned to the fact he's just not up to it. Flint can count himself hard done by to be dropped yesterday. A perfect example was when Nelson almost cost us the game at the end yesterday when he completely lost Surridge, who just hung around at the back stick and was totally free to shoot after Nelson went wandering towards a ball that the other defenders were dealing with.
    Not only that, Nelson gives away too many free kicks and although you need that aggression as a defender, it has to be channelled - Nelson gives the impression he wants to fight everyone at times.

The more you think about it, the more the decision to loan out Wintle appears to be barking mad. I read a few preview pieces back in August saying he was a good signing who’d have no problem adjusting to the Championship, yet we seemed desperate to offload him - I can only think it was financially driven.

Not only that, Nelson gives away too many free kicks and although you need that aggression as a defender, it has to be channelled - Nelson gives the impression he wants to fight everyone at times.

The more you think about it, the more the decision to loan out Wintle appears to be barking mad. I read a few preview pieces back in August saying he was a good signing who’d have no problem adjusting to the Championship, yet we seemed desperate to offload him - I can only think it was financially driven.
    It does seem a strange decision. My guess is that with Bacuna, Pack, Ralls, Vaulks the thinking was we had enough in central midfield and with two or three of these being out of contract at the end of the season Wintle would benefit from having a season to adjust at another Championship club to be ready for next season. While there might be some logic to this anyone who's watch us for the past few seasons would know our central midfield has been a real problem and desperately needed refreshing. So it seems an even worse decision as I believe it's a season long loan so unless I'm mistaken there's no possibility of a return in January.

Thanks Bob.

And remember that Hudson (for reasons that I was completely unaware of at the time ) and Morrison took a while come good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    It does seem a strange decision. My guess is that with Bacuna, Pack, Ralls, Vaulks the thinking was we had enough in central midfield and with two or three of these being out of contract at the end of the season Wintle would benefit from having a season to adjust at another Championship club to be ready for next season. While there might be some logic to this anyone who's watch us for the past few seasons would know our central midfield has been a real problem and desperately needed refreshing. So it seems an even worse decision as I believe it's a season long loan so unless I'm mistaken there's no possibility of a return in January.
    Apparently, Wintle can be recalled from his loan in January.

I'd be really keen to see what a midfield trio of Pack, Wintle and Ralls could do for us. Or maybe Bacuna/Sang, Wintle and Ralls. Any combination as long as it doesn't include Will Vaulks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'd be really keen to see what a midfield trio of Pack, Wintle and Ralls could do for us. Or maybe Bacuna/Sang, Wintle and Ralls. Any combination as long as it doesn't include Will Vaulks.
    Ralls just doesn't do enough for my liking. We see opposition midfielders influencing a game, but when was the last time Ralls had such an impact?

Is Ralls back for Wednesday.?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    How about Bowen?