+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Stelling To Leave Sky

Re: Jeff Stelling To Leave Sky

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    They'll do very well to improve on Jeff Stelling - wonder what the viewing figures are in response to the shake up they had last year? Nearly all of these things have their time and place and I'm struggling to think of many successful programmes that have been improved once they started going down the rebrand/relaunch route - more often than not, it signals the beginning of the end.
    I was wondering if it still got the same viewing figures it did during its peak anyway.

I feel like this would have been a much bigger story 10 years ago.

They'll do very well to improve on Jeff Stelling - wonder what the viewing figures are in response to the shake up they had last year? Nearly all of these things have their time and place and I'm struggling to think of many successful programmes that have been improved once they started going down the rebrand/relaunch route - more often than not, it signals the beginning of the end.
    Do you think the viewing figures are likely to have dropped? If so, why? I know the BBC have tried to do a similar show but that’s looked a pale imitation on the handful of occasions I’ve watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Do you think the viewing figures are likely to have dropped? If so, why? I know the BBC have tried to do a similar show but that’s looked a pale imitation on the handful of occasions I’ve watched it.
    BTs is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I won’t miss him . Overrated presenter whom Sky overpaid. I could read the scores off an autocue and sound more interesting.
    I remember when he had a Hartlepool shirt on , during a crucial relegation day . A complete fool. Glad Newport stayed up that year. Get shot of him, and get someone in his chair who’ s not plastic ,but knowledgeable and interesting at the same time. In other words , someone with a bit of class .
    Don't agree with this at all. He makes the programme interesting and watchable. He is a fan like the rest of us. Possibly your opinion is based upon the fact that he supported his team against Newport in the relegation fight ? Well, wouldn't you do the same if it was City V Newport ?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Don't agree with this at all. He makes the programme interesting and watchable. He is a fan like the rest of us. Possibly your opinion is based upon the fact that he supported his team against Newport in the relegation fight ? Well, wouldn't you do the same if it was City V Newport ?
    Exactly I think him being a bit biased (especially as it’s towards an unfashionable team) is what makes him good. Shows he’s an actual football fan who attends games rather than just another presenter with a media degree.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Reminds me of when Tim Lovejoy left Soccer AM and that absolute tool Max Rushden came in
    I've never seen Soccer AM but I love Max Rushden on the Guardian Football Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I've never seen Soccer AM but I love Max Rushden on the Guardian Football Weekly
    Yeah he’s really good on there. I’d enjoyed soccer am when I was younger but lovejoy is a complete whalloper.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they have, what was the driver behind the decision to get rid of Nicholas, LeTissier etc? Sky would probably say they were too old for a modern audience, but my guess is that wouldn’t have been an issue if audiences matched what they once were.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have, what was the driver behind the decision to get rid of Nicholas, LeTissier etc? Sky would probably say they were too old for a modern audience, but my guess is that wouldn’t have been an issue if audiences matched what they once were.
    Do you reckon that there's that many under 30's watching soccer Saturday or whatever it's called? I have no idea, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's quite a traditional format in my opinion, that's why it was probably pulled apart with the presenters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Do you reckon that there's that many under 30's watching soccer Saturday or whatever it's called? I have no idea, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's quite a traditional format in my opinion, that's why it was probably pulled apart with the presenters.
    When I was a student about 15 years ago it was massive with everyone around my age. I’m not sure if it’s as culturally significant as it was back then.

I agree with you and that’s the point I was trying to make. Having a bunch of ex players watching games that you don’t get to see and talking about what’s happening was a great, and I would guess unexpected, success a long time ago, but it may be seen as old hat now by younger audiences - it proves nothing, but I don’t tend to watch it as much as I used to and, when I do watch that sort of show these days, it could just as easily be the BBC or BT Sport versions.

“He's here! He's there! He's every-f—ing-where! Roy Kent is the obvious choice.

its one of those jobs where you think, this is basically just reading out loud and chatting shit about football, I could do that!

except if I tried I would undoubtedly be awful at it.

I agree with you and that’s the point I was trying to make. Having a bunch of ex players watching games that you don’t get to see and talking about what’s happening was a great, and I would guess unexpected, success a long time ago, but it may be seen as old hat now by younger audiences - it proves nothing, but I don’t tend to watch it as much as I used to and, when I do watch that sort of show these days, it could just as easily be the BBC or BT Sport versions.
    Agreed, I'm 49 and I thit it's outdated, a bit too shouty for my liking. Although stelling is fantastic at what he does. I bet he's been offered one of those waiting to die quiz shows that are on between 3 and 5 on a weekday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    its one of those jobs where you think, this is basically just reading out loud and chatting shit about football, I could do that!

except if I tried I would undoubtedly be awful at it.
    Probably the best presenter (for me) on TV. He isnt reading all his quips from a card , he is naturally quick thinking and funny.

Agreed, I'm 49 and I thit it's outdated, a bit too shouty for my liking. Although stelling is fantastic at what he does. I bet he's been offered one of those waiting to die quiz shows that are on between 3 and 5 on a weekday afternoon.
    Talksport probably have a contract ready and waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    he's 66 , maybe he wants to enjoy his retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Yup, that's a possibility. Talksport is quite hypnotic, they get the likes of Simon Jordan etc, and for a couple of months you find his straight talking refreshing, but after a while it becomes really boring, and best avoided, like a bar room bore.

I think Nicholas, Le Tissier and Thompson were past it for a variety of reasons, but I’d be surprised if the changes were down to any significant drop in audience. Sky had been bringing others into their positions for a long time, especially on the midweek shows.

It could be that the show’s viewing figures have decreased as the internet has become more and more interactive, and so much more football-related content is now available online, and of course there are also the BBC and BT alternatives now.

Whatever is the case, I hope the show continues in the same or at least a very similar format once Stelling has moved on. I thoroughly enjoy it, and more so in recent years than ever before. The programme is one of many reasons I can never see myself going back to being a full-time City supporter. Watching Soccer Saturday is often more entertaining and enjoyable than going to games and it’s a lot less hassle too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Probably the best presenter (for me) on TV. He isnt reading all his quips from a card , he is naturally quick thinking and funny.
    Agree. The loss of the 'three middle-aged white blokes' wasn't necessarily going to weaken the show, but in truth those that replaced them are jabbering ex pros with no idea of timing, delivery, and diction. They know their stuff, but you don't watch Soccer Saturday to be educated football-wise - it's entertainment, and the original crew fitted into the Saturday afternoon like a glove..

Le Tissier has gone all in on COVID conspiracy theories, I imagine Sky are glad they got rid of him

I hope they don't go down the social media route the other channels do. Asking for opinions and tweets from the public.

As long as the BBC continue to have Garth Crooks on their version of the show, then Soccer Saturday will be more successful.
    Some of the new pundits are a refreshing change from Phil Thompson et al, and hopefully a new presenter (should be that Julian fella) will keep the continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As long as the BBC continue to have Garth Crooks on their version of the show, then Soccer Saturday will be more successful.
    Some of the new pundits are a refreshing change from Phil Thompson et al, and hopefully a new presenter (should be that Julian fella) will keep the continuity.
    the beeb one has always just seemed cheaply made by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the beeb one has always just seemed cheaply made by comparison
    I know that I'm in a massive minority, and I'm probably the one who is wrong on this, but I couldn't care less who is commentating or who is doing the punditry. I understand that soccer Saturday is different, and personalities play a significant part in the whole event, but as far as I'm concerned, a live match could have anyone communicating or doing the punditry, it's the game that I watch and I never listen to anything any of them say anyway.