+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Harris

Mark Harris

What is it with him? When i think that he simply doesn't have enough to offer at this level, he shows at Stoke a level of intensity that nobody else really did. Direct, excellent at stretching defences and an ability not to think twice if the goal is in front of him. It leads me to think that he can only be effective when a game is stretched and the opposition are being pulled about by us playing on the front foot, forcing mistakes and pulling players out of position. He really does do some excellent work when we play that way.

Sadly, we rarely play like that.On Saturday we were forced to press Stoke, although well done to SM for initiating that style of play as it could've ended up 6 or 7 if it had gone wrong, a little bravery can go a long way. Harris may not be good enough at this level, but what is certain in my opinion is that he has no chance of showing what he is best at if we go down the Warnock, MM route as he's not the type of player who can play facing his own goal, he's decent on the shoulder or getting in between defenders.

I quite like Harris, he's honest, works hard and doesn't hide. I don't know if he's a championship level player and he's never going to score loads of goals at any level, but if we can change our style of play he may have a chance, and he may be that player that pops up with those important goals, a bit like Pilkington could do for us.

Re: Mark Harris

My impression of him and other younger ones who have played in the Championship is that they are one-paced - and it's not quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Once U shop, U can't stop View Post
    My impression of him and other younger ones who have played in the Championship is that they are one-paced - and it's not quick!
    I wouldn't say that Harris is one paced, he's got a good turn of pace over 15 yards, which is all he needs. Colwill is one paced, although as he develops i'm hoping that he develops the type of mind that does his running for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I wouldn't say that Harris is one paced, he's got a good turn of pace over 15 yards, which is all he needs. Colwill is one paced, although as he develops i'm hoping that he develops the type of mind that does his running for him.
    I agree.
    Harris is reasonably quick- not Kevin Bartlett level, but around Chopra level.
    He also seems to be learning about movement, I think he’s improved loads in that way. What’s not helping him is shunting him around.

I like him. Not convinced yet he’ll get loads at this level, but he’s getting there

Colwill doesn’t have pace, but thinks quickly enough to make up for that and has the touch and movement not to need it. Looks a real prospect to me. Strong, aggressive enough and confident. Again, just needs time and consistency in his selection.

Evans, Bowen, Bagan, Sang, McGuinness can all also contribute - all have shown glimpses and whilst they probably won’t all make Championship regulars a few of them should and they will all have careers in football I’m sure

My thought on him has always been he runs around a lot without contributing much but maybe that’s what managers have asked of him. Maybe Morison sees more in him, he certainly made an impact Saturday.

He has something I’ve just never been convinced it’s enough but I would gladly be proved wrong.

Colwill I haven’t seen enough of, certainly has something, maybe a touch of Mutch about him? I’ll let others decide

Colwill , with time , will become a great player

Totally agree with the post - problem is we dont have a Whitts or a McPhail that can slide through a pass so he can just jump onto it and finish.

Our midfield is so poor that we're not getting enough out of the rest of the squad.

perhaps he was reminded that hes a striker not a winger?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Totally agree with the post - problem is we dont have a Whitts or a McPhail that can slide through a pass so he can just jump onto it and finish.

Our midfield is so poor that we're not getting enough out of the rest of the squad.
    Exactly he needs through balls as he proved once, almost twice, on Saturday. Simply has to start on Wednesday and sure he will.

Yeah, i'm hoping that there are reasons why we've only seen what he is capable of in bursts, Those bursts few and far between. He does have something, a quick mind if he's facing the opposition goal and has something to run on to. He's dead as a player if he has to get involved in the messy stuff, it's just not his game. I'm hoping that an approach that sees us attempt to open up the opposition can see him contribute more and give us that option of a player who can cause problems between the central defender and full back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I agree.
    Harris is reasonably quick- not Kevin Bartlett level, but around Chopra level.
    He also seems to be learning about movement, I think he’s improved loads in that way. What’s not helping him is shunting him around.

I like him. Not convinced yet he’ll get loads at this level, but he’s getting there

Colwill doesn’t have pace, but thinks quickly enough to make up for that and has the touch and movement not to need it. Looks a real prospect to me. Strong, aggressive enough and confident. Again, just needs time and consistency in his selection.

Evans, Bowen, Bagan, Sang, McGuinness can all also contribute - all have shown glimpses and whilst they probably won’t all make Championship regulars a few of them should and they will all have careers in football I’m sure
    Agree with pretty much all of that. Colwill has natural ability and will take responsibility on the ball. That's a really positive sign. Harris is positive when the ball is put between defenders, on the floor. He obviously needs to improve his all round game, but we do need to play to his strengths if we are going to see the best of him. I reckon that Moore is suited to the ball being played on the floor as well. These high balls seem to take so much out of him physically.

Agree with pretty much all of that. Colwill has natural ability and will take responsibility on the ball. That's a really positive sign. Harris is positive when the ball is put between defenders, on the floor. He obviously needs to improve his all round game, but we do need to play to his strengths if we are going to see the best of him. I reckon that Moore is suited to the ball being played on the floor as well. These high balls seem to take so much out of him physically.
    Moore showed his on the deck ability with the pass for Harris’s goal. Both him & Colwill are quite nifty for big lads in my opinion, we do need the confidence to flow back though, Saturday’s turnaround should do wonders for that.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Moore showed his on the deck ability with the pass for Harris’s goal. Both him & Colwill are quite nifty for big lads in my opinion, we do need the confidence to flow back though, Saturday’s turnaround should do wonders for that.
    Hope you're right. From the little i've seen of Colwill, he does play with his head up, as does moore. There aren't many players that play that way.

Lovely combination between Colwill and Giles in the build up for the third goal on Saturday and the former slid two or three Whirrs/McPhail passes through the Stoke defence.

As for Harris, when he’s good (eg Luton at home last season, where he more than any one brought about a complete transformation in our performance level, Birmingham away, in Belarus for Wales and on Saturday), he looks like a player that can easily cope with Championship football and he causes defenders a lot of problems, yet he can also look ordinary and on the edge of things. I suppose that’s to be expected from a younger player, especially in a struggling side - three of those four performances I mentioned came as a substitute, maybe that’s the role he’s best suited to at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Lovely combination between Colwill and Giles in the build up for the third goal on Saturday and the former slid two or three Whirrs/McPhail passes through the Stoke defence.

As for Harris, when he’s good (eg Luton at home last season, where he more than any one brought about a complete transformation in our performance level, Birmingham away, in Belarus for Wales and on Saturday), he looks like a player that can easily cope with Championship football and he causes defenders a lot of problems, yet he can also look ordinary and on the edge of things. I suppose that’s to be expected from a younger player, especially in a struggling side - three of those four performances I mentioned came as a substitute, maybe that’s the role he’s best suited to at the moment?
    You may be right, but that probably means that we are chasing the game. I'd like to see him in a team that attempts to break the opposition with through balls in the final third.

Yeah. That’s spot on about Moore. It’s hard work battling for the ball and although he not got pace, he’s no slug snd can pass and move really well when he has it to feet .

I’ve got no problem with using his arial strength , but he’ll definitely benefit from mixing by it up. Especially if it means he gets support nearer to him. He looked reborn in our comeback in Saturday

I wouldn't say that Harris is one paced, he's got a good turn of pace over 15 yards...
    In your hey-day, you'd have shown him a clean pair of heels....
    There was one recent home game (can't remember which) when we had three or four younger players and my impression was that they were all lacking in pace - and don't get me started on the young full backs.

Perhaps we should stop referring to Harris as if he’s a youngster though, if he’s to make it as a player at this level, at 22 he should be well on the way. I suppose he’s quite fortunate that the City have stuck by him, first teamers should be emerging in their late teens really.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Tuerto mentioned Pilkington in his original post and think it's interesting that he was a player that was more effective off the bench too. Although I hope the similarities to finding himself offside on too many occasions isn't something we see in Harris - especially when the potential winner was ruled out on Saturday for the same reason!

Perhaps we should stop referring to Harris as if he’s a youngster though, if he’s to make it as a player at this level, at 22 he should be well on the way. I suppose he’s quite fortunate that the City have stuck by him, first teamers should be emerging in their late teens really.
    Been difficult for youngsters to come in until the last 12 months or so as we’ve had decent players offer with big fees/ wages in front of them who’ve been given a lot more chances.

Now the squad is cut down they are being picked more often and given a chance to shine.

Some also take a bit longer to develop. Harris for me looks a far better player this season than last.

There was one recent home game (can't remember which) when we had three or four younger players and my impression was that they were all lacking in pace - and don't get me started on the young full backs.
    That's been my feeling too. I was expecting them to be nippier. Is this the slowest Cardiff City squad in recent decades?

Is it possible that it has something to do with the way we have played when they have been used? They are brought up playing a certain way then expected to fit in and look good in a direct team.

You could say they should be good enough to adapt, but plenty of better players struggle in teams when being transfered to different leagues, Sancho, werner etc as examples.

I remember Morison saying it would take time to change the style, so maybe what we saw first half was due to that, and eventually we will see more of the second half rather than the first half.

Wishful thinking maybe, but it's a positive outlook.

Nice to have some more positive opinions than the constant flow of shit we've had to out up with for years.

Yeah, pace is at a premium it seems. we don't have the quickest squad of players

He's young in terms of experience.

Exactly this.

To play effectively off the shoulder you need someone who can not only look to pass it forward but put it on a sixpence.

Sadly, Whitts and McPhail seem like a distant memory.
    What's the saying, you only appreciate something when it's gone? (or something like that).

Harris's strength seems when he runs the channels but not particularly great, as has been said, holding it up, giving and going again.

If he can form a partnership with Kieffer, they can share the load as Keiffer is good at both holding it up and running the channels, as well as a good target man and outlet when we are under pressure.

Would like to see us play with those two up top with a high press but have we got the personnel for it?
    Not sure we have unfortunately so Steve, you need to get busy in the loan market.