+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Harris

Re: Mark Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's young in terms of experience.
    He'll be 23 in a couple of months. How many players make it at Championship level without establishing themselves as first-team regulars by that age?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps we should stop referring to Harris as if he’s a youngster though, if he’s to make it as a player at this level, at 22 he should be well on the way. I suppose he’s quite fortunate that the City have stuck by him, first teamers should be emerging in their late teens really.
    You aren't wrong, although we all know why he hasn't with us, there hasn't been much of an opportunity for them to make an impression never mind claim a spot.

I think at another team he'd have a few more appearances under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He'll be 23 in a couple of months. How many players make it at Championship level without establishing themselves as first-team regulars by that age?
    I don't know, probably not many. I don't even know if he will ever be good enough, if i had to place a bet then i'd say that he wont. My main point is that he does have something to offer and that he hasn't really been in a position tactically where he can show his positive attributes. Hopefully that changes

I don't know, probably not many. I don't even know if he will ever be good enough, if i had to place a bet then i'd say that he wont. My main point is that he does have something to offer and that he hasn't really been in a position tactically where he can show his positive attributes. Hopefully that changes
    I'd like to think so, but we've been here before when Harris had a few good performances last season and he wasn't really able to build on them.

29 appearances for us (don't know how many starts but Mad Mick played him and so did Neil Harris) and just 4 goals (don't know how many assists). 16 appearances for Newport (under Flynn who I believe didn't start him many times) and other than that it's been Port Vale & Wrexham. 3 Wales caps this year.

I think I'm with you on this but yeah, been a square peg in a round hole for us but not his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    29 appearances for us (don't know how many starts but Mad Mick played him and so did Neil Harris) and just 4 goals (don't know how many assists). 16 appearances for Newport (under Flynn who I believe didn't start him many times) and other than that it's been Port Vale & Wrexham. 3 Wales caps this year.

I think I'm with you on this but yeah, been a square peg in a round hole for us but not his fault.
    11 starts, a lot of his substitute appearances have been fleeting

I think Harris is a decent player and has improved massively since getting his shot in the first team

When Kieffer Moore was 24, he was playing for Forest Green in the Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    11 starts, a lot of his substitute appearances have been fleeting

I think Harris is a decent player and has improved massively since getting his shot in the first team
    I think he's improved massively too and I'm really pleased for him. I know a lot of his substitute appearances have been fleeting but I didn't realise it had been 11 starts.

I've found myself pendulum swinging over performances over the last couple of seasons though as it's all been so chaotic and it's hard to judge sometimes. There have definitely been times for me when he's felt anonymous but I do appreciate that's hardly surprising with our team performances.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When Kieffer Moore was 24, he was playing for Forest Green in the Conference.
    Doesn't that prove my point? Kieffer Moore's career trajectory is a massive outlier.

It's all about playing them to suit their strengths and we haven't.

He's had to come in at short notice like a last minute boxer..and the only one of them I've seen show up was the Spanish lad who boxed hattons lads head off...in other words it's hard to achieve and quite rare.

Jamie Vardy was still a non league player at 22 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Jamie Vardy was still a non league player at 22 I believe.

Doesn't that prove my point?
    In a word, no.

Doesn't that prove my point? Kieffer Moore's career trajectory is a massive outlier.
    Phil Stant was fighting the Argentines at that age too … I doubt Vardy was playing at this level either. Plenty of others take time to come through.

Think we need a bit of patience with him

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's all about playing them to suit their strengths and we haven't.

He's had to come in at short notice like a last minute boxer..and the only one of them I've seen show up was the Spanish lad who boxed hattons lads head off...in other words it's hard to achieve and quite rare.
    Don’t forget one of our own .
    Steve ‘The Cinderella Man’ Robinson 👍

Paul Parry was 23 when he joined City from Conference side Hereford in 2004. He did alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Going off topic, but what a lovely man he is. Working in Debenhams warehouse when he got the call. Ely boy, as was Barry jones, both world champions.

Going off topic, but what a lovely man he is. Working in Debenhams warehouse when he got the call. Ely boy, as was Barry jones, both world champions.
    Hey! This is your thread. Show some discipline!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Hey! This is your thread. Show some discipline!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    He may not come good, but I think he's got a better chance with a manager who plays with a little more freedom..

He may not come good, but I think he's got a better chance with a manager who plays with a little more freedom..

Barry Jones does a great job as a boxing summariser.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Barry Jones does a great job as a boxing summariser.
    Yup, and i love his enthusiasm. Lost to De freitas? But had been banned because of a suspected clot on his brain or something like that. He was stripped by the WBO but was given his shot against de freitas after over a year out and only one tune up fight.

Agree - Harris Moore Giles and Colwill often in the side with 7/8 defensive minded players dependant on whether 2 or 3 of them were selected

Love to see Harris given a run of games in the right position and also with the right formation, attitude and mentality then a full judgement can be made of him and others in fairness

I really like Harris. Whether he'll make it at this level is another matter but he's got good movement and his attitude is spot on. Technically, I'm not sure but it was a great finish and occasionally he does incredible things like his finish at Birmingham away. He's come on leaps and bounds since he broke through and needs chances. For me, he has to play and we need to play on the front foot. I think it'll help with Giles at LWB as he'll be a natural outlet.

Harris is one of the few players we have that looks to go at people. I also think having him alongside Moore helps KM out, as he's not completely isolated. We've got to stop playing with the handbrake off though, or we'll just strangle Colwill, Harris etc and we'll go down with a whimper.

Let's be frank, we need Harris, Colwill etc to come off, as they'll be first team regulars next season with the budget cuts to come.