+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark Harris

Re: Mark Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I really like Harris. Whether he'll make it at this level is another matter but he's got good movement and his attitude is spot on. Technically, I'm not sure but it was a great finish and occasionally he does incredible things like his finish at Birmingham away. He's come on leaps and bounds since he broke through and needs chances. For me, he has to play and we need to play on the front foot. I think it'll help with Giles at LWB as he'll be a natural outlet.

Harris is one of the few players we have that looks to go at people. I also think having him alongside Moore helps KM out, as he's not completely isolated. We've got to stop playing with the handbrake off though, or we'll just strangle Colwill, Harris etc and we'll go down with a whimper.

Let's be frank, we need Harris, Colwill etc to come off, as they'll be first team regulars next season with the budget cuts to come.
    Looks like they are going to be first team regulars this season with the shape the squad is in.

The kids are doing ok. I’m sure all coming through at same time in a struggling team isn’t the ideal path for their development but it’s needs must unfortunately. Some of them have been out on loans lower down the pyramid to get some experience, but some of them have been thrust straight into the current shit show and no one has really let themselves down yet.

Maybe it’s the lack of kids breaking through for so long but some people need to have a bit more patience with them and stop writing some of them off after barely a handful of games.

I was listening to Danny Gabbidon recently and he said the kids will be inconsistent but with more and more experience, if they are talented enough and have the right attitude, then that consistency will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Looks like they are going to be first team regulars this season with the shape the squad is in.
    Realistically, some of them already are. 15 league games played so far this season. These are the stats (sub appearances in brackets):

Joel Bagan - 9 (+1) apps
    Mark McGuinness - 7 apps
    Rubin Colwill - 6 (+7) apps
    Mark Harris - 5 (+6) apps
    Kieron Evans - 1 (+3) apps
    Sam Bowen - 3 (+1) apps

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Barry Jones does a great job as a boxing summariser.
    Yes, seen him a few times always comes across well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Agree - Harris Moore Giles and Colwill often in the side with 7/8 defensive minded players dependant on whether 2 or 3 of them were selected

Love to see Harris given a run of games in the right position and also with the right formation, attitude and mentality then a full judgement can be made of him and others in fairness
    Yeah, they look comfortable on the ball but don't always have much to work with due to the way we've been set up, I can't judge them on their performances so far and as with the team as a whole I'll start to judge them from last Saturday.

Others may think differently and have an opinion on what they've seen which is also fine, but I'd like to see what they can offer moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I really like Harris. Whether he'll make it at this level is another matter but he's got good movement and his attitude is spot on. Technically, I'm not sure but it was a great finish and occasionally he does incredible things like his finish at Birmingham away. He's come on leaps and bounds since he broke through and needs chances. For me, he has to play and we need to play on the front foot. I think it'll help with Giles at LWB as he'll be a natural outlet.

Harris is one of the few players we have that looks to go at people. I also think having him alongside Moore helps KM out, as he's not completely isolated. We've got to stop playing with the handbrake off though, or we'll just strangle Colwill, Harris etc and we'll go down with a whimper.

Let's be frank, we need Harris, Colwill etc to come off, as they'll be first team regulars next season with the budget cuts to come.
    Good post

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The kids are doing ok. I’m sure all coming through at same time in a struggling team isn’t the ideal path for their development but it’s needs must unfortunately. Some of them have been out on loans lower down the pyramid to get some experience, but some of them have been thrust straight into the current shit show and no one has really let themselves down yet.

Maybe it’s the lack of kids breaking through for so long but some people need to have a bit more patience with them and stop writing some of them off after barely a handful of games.

I was listening to Danny Gabbidon recently and he said the kids will be inconsistent but with more and more experience, if they are talented enough and have the right attitude, then that consistency will come.
    Another good post.

People need to remember it's not ideal and they haven't had the best opportunity to show what they can do, even the most talented kids need to adjust and get minutes under their belts to gain experience. The more they play the more consistent they can become and they'll make less mistakes. Even our experienced players have inconsistent games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Realistically, some of them already are. 15 league games played so far this season. These are the stats (sub appearances in brackets):

Joel Bagan - 9 (+1) apps
    Mark McGuinness - 7 apps
    Sam Bowen - 3 (+1) apps
    Interestingly (or maybe not!), Bagan has played the most for the first team, played for the u23s tonight while the others (Bowen apart, who would have been involved if it wasn't for an injury) all played vs Stoke. I think some time out of the lime light might do Bagan some good, he shouldn't be relied on to play every minute, especially not in a struggling side.

Just to add to the growing list of players who were "late" developers, Ian Wright was playing for Greenwich Borough at 22.

He did alright

I would say he looks like a lad learning his trade ,looked dangerous on Saturday, he and other youngsters at this level won't be able to turn it on every week

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps we should stop referring to Harris as if he’s a youngster though, if he’s to make it as a player at this level, at 22 he should be well on the way. I suppose he’s quite fortunate that the City have stuck by him, first teamers should be emerging in their late teens really.
    very few players emerge in their teens, the majority is early 20s. 22 is definitely not too late to develop, most players don't peak until their mid/late 20s depending on position

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, and i love his enthusiasm. Lost to De freitas? But had been banned because of a suspected clot on his brain or something like that. He was stripped by the WBO but was given his shot against de freitas after over a year out and only one tune up fight.
    He is an outstanding pundit.
    The way he breaks the fights down so clearly is a joy.
    He comes across so well and likeable.

What's Prince Patel upto nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    He is an outstanding pundit.
    The way he breaks the fights down so clearly is a joy.
    He comes across so well and likeable.

What's Prince Patel upto nowadays?
    I like Barry Jones punditry too. Very knowledgeable and as you say likeable guy, and very fair too, unlike a lot of the Sky pundits who are heavily biased to the Matchroom fighters because of their previous connections to Eddie Hearn.

The only thing I wonder with Jones is how is he received in other parts of the country? We obviously understand the welsh, and in particular Cardiff accent but he does talk very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Joel Bagan - 9 (+1) apps
    Mark McGuinness - 7 apps
    Sam Bowen - 3 (+1) apps
    👍

Absolutely agree and for that reason I think Steve Morison might be the sensible choice to get a tune out of them.

I like Barry Jones punditry too. Very knowledgeable and as you say likeable guy, and very fair too, unlike a lot of the Sky pundits who are heavily biased to the Matchroom fighters because of their previous connections to Eddie Hearn.

The only thing I wonder with Jones is how is he received in other parts of the country? We obviously understand the welsh, and in particular Cardiff accent but he does talk very fast.
    Totally agree.
    He could sound harsh to some not in tune with our tones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Totally agree.
    He could sound harsh to some not in tune with our tones.
    Great though, innit? Love that Ely accent in between the camera zooming in on all those A listers at a fight in Vegas. He's a City fan as well, used to wear City themed shorts in his fights.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would say he looks like a lad learning his trade ,looked dangerous on Saturday, he and other youngsters at this level won't be able to turn it on every week
    Especially when you consider that none of our senior players are doing that either - they’ve struggled to turn it on any week this season in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    very few players emerge in their teens, the majority is early 20s. 22 is definitely not too late to develop, most players don't peak until their mid/late 20s depending on position
    To be fair he’s 23 next month. He’s 2/3 years older than the other youngsters making the breakthrough ie Colwill, Bowen, Evans.etc I wouldn’t class him as a kid tbh. He’s made nearly 30 appearances for City too he’s not as green as the others.

Sometimes he looks like he’s got something, other times he looks out of his depth. Maybe it’s that experience / consistency Gabbidon talks about which I mentioned earlier in the thread but at nearly 23 he should really be establishing himself this season if he’s going to make it as a Championship footballer.