+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Help picking a printer

Help picking a printer

I haven’t needed to buy a printer for a long time as always used the ones in the office but with working in the office becoming less I thought it would be time to get one.

Any recommendations, as wireless as possible, it’s not going to be connected to a stand alone computer. More for general printing from phone, tablet or laptop, be nice if it can print pictures but doesn’t have to.

Don’t want to be caught out paying a fortune for cartridges.

Any help appreciated on brands or certain types.

Thanks

Re: Help picking a printer

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I haven’t needed to buy a printer for a long time as always used the ones in the office but with working in the office becoming less I thought it would be time to get one.

Any recommendations, as wireless as possible, it’s not going to be connected to a stand alone computer. More for general printing from phone, tablet or laptop, be nice if it can print pictures but doesn’t have to.

Don’t want to be caught out paying a fortune for cartridges.

Any help appreciated on brands or certain types.

Thanks
    Avoid HP (and their print on demand subscription) - laughable to set up, and riddled with misinformation. Learn from my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Avoid HP (and their print on demand subscription) - laughable to set up, and riddled with misinformation. Learn from my mistake
    I’m just reading about it now, a lot of people complain about the set up.

Shame they seemed a good price.

My last two have been Canons. Current one a TS9150.

Very easy to set up.

Reliable and quality prints, but not sure how they compare price-wise (printer and inks) with the alternatives.

I mainly use direct (wireless) from the laptop, but a fair bit from phone/tablet too.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    My last two have been Canons. Current one a TS9150.

Very easy to set up.

Reliable and quality prints, but not sure how they compare price-wise (printer and inks) with the alternatives.

I mainly use direct (wireless) from the laptop, but a fair bit from phone/tablet too.
    Thanks, it’s seems they are nearly all wireless these days. So many to choose from I think I’m going round in circles.

I think I’ll try and wait for a Black Friday deal.

I recently bought a HP Envy 6000e in Tesco, think it was about £80

Very good printer and wireless, plus an app to print directly from my mobile which has been a god send.

As mentioned above just do not do the ink subscription stuff, just buy as you use, I use Tesco's own brand 'refurbished hp' they work fine and half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I recently bought a HP Envy 6000e in Tesco, think it was about £80

Very good printer and wireless, plus an app to print directly from my mobile which has been a god send.

As mentioned above just do not do the ink subscription stuff, just buy as you use, I use Tesco's own brand 'refurbished hp' they work fine and half the price.
    Thanks, good to know

I have never had much luck with printers, use them a year or 2 and then they give up on me

always go for one that I can get refilled ink carts on eBay for fairly cheap

Last few printers have been HP deskjets , the HP Deskjet 27?? seems to be the current lot, from the 2710 to the 2722, they cost about £40 without inks, a set of 305 XL refiled ink carts are about £30

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Laughable isn't it!!, I bought a wireless HP unit with scanning etc. but never subscribed to the ink subscription, i bought some new, non-HP brand inks for it at ASDA a few weeks ago, much cheaper and the ink cartridges had a little more volume than the HP cartridges, also after a recent windows update the inks wouldn't print in colour, I did find the fix for it, not on the HP support site but on a general tech site.

Personally I’d go with something that is super efficient to run as cartridges are a nightmare and awful for the environment. If they did dot matrix Id take one as long as it could print legible documents. For photos- Id just get them done by a company that does prints. Probably not much more expensive in the long run. I use Zno, they have always been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Laughable isn't it!!, I bought a wireless HP unit with scanning etc. but never subscribed to the ink subscription, i bought some new, non-HP brand inks for it at ASDA a few weeks ago, much cheaper and the ink cartridges had a little more volume than the HP cartridges, also after a recent windows update the inks wouldn't print in colour, I did find the fix for it, not on the HP support site but on a general tech site.
    Don’t even get me started on this…….AND I work in IT :-0

I have a hp printer/scanner
    and I pay for the monthly ink subscription, which is almost certainly overpaying but pretty convenient

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’m just reading about it now, a lot of people complain about the set up.

Shame they seemed a good price.
    im not the brightest and i found hp simple and straightforward

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Personally I’d go with something that is super efficient to run as cartridges are a nightmare and awful for the environment. If they did dot matrix Id take one as long as it could print legible documents. For photos- Id just get them done by a company that does prints. Probably not much more expensive in the long run. I use Zno, they have always been good.
    That’s a good point actually, we rarely print pictures anyway.

Number 1 tip: Get a laser printer.

Unlike inkjets - they don't have jets to clog up. You can go months without using it and the quality is still as good as the day you bought it.

Only things to consider are how much toners are to replace (check before you buy as prices vary wildly). Laser printer are much much better than inkjets at printing text but not as good with pictures/ photos.

I've got a Brother HL-L3210CW (cost about £180) I've had it for about 2 years and haven't had to replace any ink. A cartridge costs about 15 quid when I do.

I have a Canon printer, in a lovely shade of light blue. It was about £40 cheaper than the same printer in black.

There's only one to buy, Brother.

Feedback