+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Director of football?

Director of football?

Morison is clearly a good coach at u23 level and may prove good as senior level. I think a lot of us feel he deserves a chance at the big time.
    Rather than swamp him with the responsibility a manager has, why not make him 1st team coach permanently, with a DOF who has responsibility for players contacts, transfers erc.
    Neil Harris is already on payroll, pal of Morison. Could be just the job.

Re: Director of football?

I don't think a director of football should be there to do players contracts

A man sacked of his position (Harris) working with the very people who sacked him?
    Yeah, what could possibly go wrong....

I suppose Harris would have to agree.

Get paid at home or down the golf course or go and do a job for those that sacked you less than a year ago.

The original question was fairly serious. I just threw in the Harris comment to wake people up.😀
    The set up I suggested with a DOF other than Harris may just work.

Remind me, what clubs are successful using a DOF ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    the red bull teams are a pretty good example of being strategically aligned from a footballing point of view.

Liverpool are usually held up as a good example. but in reality almost everyone has one these days, but the scope of their jobs vary wildly some work well, others dont

Serious question?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Serious question?
    Yes !

there seem to be many different types of director of football - for me the best type seems to be someone who is setting the broad direction, rather than involved in the details.
    directors should be doing 80% transformational work, not transactional work - that is for the managers to do.
    they should be putting into place the systems that ensure the long term success, not just the shirt term view of the manager, but giving the manager space to do their thing within their boundaries.
    they should be putting in place the modern recruitment and analysis departments - they don't need to be directly involved themselves but they can be.
    they should be putting in place policies aimed at bringing youth through regularly - again they don't need to be hands on
    similarly with squad age etc

So basically, it’s clubs who are oozing with money, not on the “bones of their arse”

So basically, it’s clubs who are oozing with money, not on the “bones of their arse”
    no, I'd say most of those guys weren't early adopters, with the possible exception of the red bull lot, they're copying what other smaller clubs have found to be successful

Remind me, which clubs have been successful by prioritizing short term stop gaps over long term visions, philosophies, and plans? With youth teams playing a totally different style to their first team? With ridiculous recruitment "strategies" that leave successive managers having to fill round holes with square pegs?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Remind me, which clubs have been successful by prioritizing short term stop gaps over long term visions, philosophies, and plans? With youth teams playing a totally different style to their first team? With ridiculous recruitment "strategies" that leave successive managers having to fill round holes with square pegs?
    Watford

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Watford
    That's our problem - we've not been sacking managers enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Watford
    Watford changing their manager constantly doesn't necessarily suggest there isn't someone looking at the longer term football strategy.
    in fact if they were leaving that stuff to the manager and they had to start again each time they sacked a manager they would be nowhere near as successful as they've been with this approach. it's a Terrible example

It could work for us but I don't think it's necessarily a sure way to achieve success.

There must also be lots of clubs in a mess that also employ someone in this position.

I say we go full continental and have an elected club president.

That's our problem - we've not been sacking managers enough!
    We probably have been to kind to our managers. I think both Warnock and Malky should have been sacked after promotion, in particular Malky (although didn’t think it at the time).

Then as they kept Warnock after promotion the 2nd and probably the biggest mistake was keeping him after relegation.

Then you have Mick well he should never have been given his extended contract but still should have been sacked weeks ago.

Newcastle

man utd are probably the team that spring to mind

Newcastle
    Yeah, they’re going great guns at the moment, aren’t they! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Yeah, they’re going great guns at the moment, aren’t they! ��

Did you actually read what the question was ?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Morison is clearly a good coach at u23 level and may prove good as senior level. I think a lot of us feel he deserves a chance at the big time.
    Rather than swamp him with the responsibility a manager has, why not make him 1st team coach permanently, with a DOF who has responsibility for players contacts, transfers erc.
    Neil Harris is already on payroll, pal of Morison. Could be just the job.
    I don't think they'd they'd after the same types of players

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Serious question?
    They didn't need them in the 70s why bother now is his attitude..