+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COVID - don't get complacent

Re: COVID - don't get complacent

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Masks are in the main just for political purposes with those on the left screaming mask mask, mask, and those on the right basically saying feck it, load of bollox.
    Utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Utter nonsense.
    It's what i think, but whatever, its not that important.

It's what i think, but whatever, its not that important.
    It's the polar opposite to my personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I've said this before somewhere on here. I guy that i know is nearing the end of his studies to become a doctor. I asked him about masks and he replied...I don't know..There have been studies that show that masks aren't that effective during surgery, those studies being from the 90's until now. Some countries have politiczed masks to get their own gain (USA)
    Bullshit.

This evidence review is in favour of the use of masks. https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

This BMJ article shows evidence showing the effectiveness of masks. https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n432

And another article supporting face masks. https://theconversation.com/evidence...y-to-go-167963

If you want to go through the route of quoting doctors, the BMA branch in Wales wanted face masks to stay in healthcare settings. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57770911

And there are many more studies in favour of face masks. Face masks are to help with the pandemic. They are not political.

much of the viral load will be emitted in what we called suspended solids and this is where I believe that masks, whilst not being able to filter the micron rating of the virus, forms a barrier that could filter the suspended solids containing the virus particles
    Is this why ventilation helps with the virus? And also why outdoors and possibly UV helps as well?

Masks don't prevent anything, they're not like an astronauts helmet, but they do lower the chances of catching and transmitting.

With masks and social distancing, I think I've had the sniffles once in the past 18 months and normally I'll have at least 3 colds a year. That can't be coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I've said this before somewhere on here. I guy that i know is nearing the end of his studies to become a doctor. I asked him about masks and he replied...I don't know..There have been studies that show that masks aren't that effective during surgery, those studies being from the 90's until now. Some countries have politiczed masks to get their own gain (USA)
    Hope he has more decisive answers when he takes his exams

People eh 😕 whose to blame eh 😏 where's personal responsibility 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Bullshit.

This evidence review is in favour of the use of masks. https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

This BMJ article shows evidence showing the effectiveness of masks. https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n432

And another article supporting face masks. https://theconversation.com/evidence...y-to-go-167963

If you want to go through the route of quoting doctors, the BMA branch in Wales wanted face masks to stay in healthcare settings. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57770911

And there are many more studies in favour of face masks. Face masks are to help with the pandemic. They are not political.
    For every article you link in evidence to support masks, I could post alternative views by Nobel awarded scientists who have been cancelled for their view) and that's concerning, if its Fred on FB then OK, but as previously said its become a tedious argument, I totally agree that masks were initially to help, but we have seen Fauci, the WHO and others flip flop on their effectiveness over the pandemic, when reviewing evidence, it's not a bad idea to research who has funded the research. Regarding politicisation of the masks the post i was responding to cited the USA, and for a little context, that was in the main as to what i was agreeing with but failed to make it clear although, over the last two years of back and forth in the car to Bridgend I've had BBC for a year (left leaning mask supporting) and Talk Radio for a year (Right leaning mask sceptic) now fed up of both stations have loaded a USB stick loaded with music for neutrality. Some USA red states are banning mask and Vaccine mandates, whilst Blue States are doubling down, it's a right shit show, and has to how this will end does anyone know?

For every article you link in evidence to support masks, I could post alternative views by Nobel awarded scientists who have been cancelled for their view) and that's concerning, if its Fred on FB then OK, but as previously said its become a tedious argument, I totally agree that masks were initially to help, but we have seen Fauci, the WHO and others flip flop on their effectiveness over the pandemic, when reviewing evidence, it's not a bad idea to research who has funded the research. Regarding politicisation of the masks the post i was responding to cited the USA, and for a little context, that was in the main as to what i was agreeing with but failed to make it clear although, over the last two years of back and forth in the car to Bridgend I've had BBC for a year (left leaning mask supporting) and Talk Radio for a year (Right leaning mask sceptic) now fed up of both stations have loaded a USB stick loaded with music for neutrality. Some USA red states are banning mask and Vaccine mandates, whilst Blue States are doubling down, it's a right shit show, and has to how this will end does anyone know?
    If masks really did work , the medical grade ones would be the only ones people would be required to be worn by law, and there would be proper bio bins installed on every street corner.

But there isn’t , can anyone answer why ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    If masks really did work , the medical grade ones would be the only ones people would be required to be worn by law, and there would be proper bio bins installed on every street corner.

But there isn’t , can anyone answer why ?
    A few ideas come to mind.

1. Giving these masks to everyone would be expensive.

2. Giving these masks to everyone would vastly exceed supply and would take at the very least months to achieve

3. Giving these masks to everyone might well mean that medical services struggle to get hold of them

4. Putting a bio bin on every corner would also be expensive and beyond plausible to achieve.

When you were a child and were asked to cover your mouth when you coughed or sneezed, did you refuse because your hand won't absorb every single germ? Did you say "it's 100% or nothing"?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    A few ideas come to mind.

1. Giving these masks to everyone would be expensive.

2. Giving these masks to everyone would vastly exceed supply and would take at the very least months to achieve

3. Giving these masks to everyone might well mean that medical services struggle to get hold of them

4. Putting a bio bin on every corner would also be expensive and beyond plausible to achieve.

When you were a child and were asked to cover your mouth when you coughed or sneezed, did you refuse because your hand won't absorb every single germ? Did you say "it's 100% or nothing"?

You are correct , you may as well (and should always ) cover you mouth when you cough and sneeze , it has the same effect as the non N95 ones.

They government would find the finances if they were that effective ( they spent £37 billion on track and trace )

I’m no expert but I can read data

Bore da, firstly thanks for the kind messages of support.

I think i'm moving in the right direction but still have a persistent gunky cough which is worse when lying down. Sense of smell returning but I did watch Man U the other night so taste still iffy.

On the subject of masks I think it's pretty easy to understand if I cough right now I'm spreading bad stuff which is why I'm confined to one room in the house and the windows open and my door shut.

If and when I go out then wearing a mask will reduce me spreading things although I'm diligently following the rules so not planning to but even after my isolation period it'll be a no brainer.

It seems now the government are reconsidering masks again.

Stay safe, TIB

You are correct , you may as well (and should always ) cover you mouth when you cough and sneeze , it has the same effect as the non N95 ones.

They government would find the finances if they were that effective ( they spent £37 billion on track and trace )

I’m no expert but I can read data
    So you've solved the expense problem. Great work!

Now what about supply? Let me guess - they'll just make more?

So you've solved the expense problem. Great work!

Now what about supply? Let me guess - they'll just make more?

Why are you concerned about expense , how much do you think these tests cost ( we test more in a day in the UK that the whole of the EU combined)

As I say if they were they effective they would find the money wouldn’t they ?

Ultimately you seem more concerned about cost and supply than safety?

Why are you concerned about expense , how much do you think these tests cost ( we test more in a day in the UK that the whole of the EU combined)

As I say if they were they effective they would find the money wouldn’t they ?

Ultimately you seem more concerned about cost and supply than safety?
    I gave you practical reasons why everyone in the country hasn't been issued with medical grade masks.

I don't make the rules. I'd love everyone to have top grade masks.

I gave you practical reasons why everyone in the country hasn't been issued with medical grade masks.

I don't make the rules. I'd love everyone to have top grade masks.

On a positive most people are now double Vaxed and the IFR is the same as flu , hopefully we can start to move forward now and learn to live with it in a sensible way.

Seems along time ago when the then health secretary stated it was 15m jabs to freedom.

On a positive most people are now double Vaxed and the IFR is the same as flu , hopefully we can start to move forward now and learn to live with it in a sensible way.

Seems along time ago when the then health secretary stated it was 15m jabs to freedom.
    Let's hope so because quite frankly I'm sick of covid life.

Let's hope so because quite frankly I'm sick of covid life.

Me too , even the City last night ( gaining entry ) was ridiculous. I feel sorry for people who can’t fulfil the entry requirements

Me too , even the City last night ( gaining entry ) was ridiculous. I feel sorry for people who can’t fulfil the entry requirements
    I thought anyone could go into the ground with either covid passport or a lateral flow result?

Myself and Doris went to the Port yesterday for a few drinks, missed the 2nd half of the game (City) and joined in the madness of trying to get a bus out of the City Centre on a Rugby day, we got on at Greyfriars road and being a sad 2hat, I counted 12 people on the lower level, me, Doris and 1 other were the only ones masked up and by the time we got off at the Royal Gwent I would say it was more 50/50 as people were getting on and off the bus, to digress a little, the amount of seriously obese women going about their day, and off their trolleys with alcohol was quite sad, says the person by the time i got home was a little worse for wear!! when we go to the Port for a few sherbets it's usually 22 sheets for the taxi home, 30 sheets home last night and the driver was licking his lips as he was staying in Cardiff for the rest of his shift, he was quite straight up in his delight of the easy money he was going to make. But i suppose the amount of crap he would have had to put up with in his cab I wouldn't begrudge him jacking up the price for the night.