+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owen Paterson - 'there's nothing to see here...'

Owen Paterson - 'there's nothing to see here...'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59143727

Good to see MPs thoroughly investigated and held accountable on alleged cases of corruption.

My faith in the system is restored.

Re: Owen Paterson - 'there's nothing to see here...'

not that he would particularly fear a by-election, as he got 2/3 of the vote last time around

Been found guilty of corruption? No problem, we'll just change the rules.
    This absolutely stinks.

Confirmation of the news everyone knew was coming - the what’s in it for me party looking after one of their own.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59154221

Dodgy bastards.

Our democracy is slowly being dismantled, one brick at a time.

Henry Dyer @Direthoughts

BREAKING: 22 Tory MPs investigated or censured by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards voted for Leadsom amendment to set up commission to overhaul sleaze system.

[19 of them have had complaints against them upheld.]

Vote only passed by 18, so could not have succeeded without their support.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Henry Dyer @Direthoughts

BREAKING: 22 Tory MPs investigated or censured by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards voted for Leadsom amendment to set up commission to overhaul sleaze system.

[19 of them have had complaints against them upheld.]

Vote only passed by 18, so could not have succeeded without their support.
    That brings home the shameful nature of this episode so effectively- how on earth can anyone still back these people?

This seems a much more clear cut case than some of the others speculated about. Aside from anything else, whatever the perceived injustices of the system you should change it after an event, not to prevent it from occuring. At the very least it's a really bad look.

Couple of things I find interesting;

Firstly, this is a very peculiar sword to fall on. He's not a particularly important politician, it is only a relatively short suspension and even if it did lead to a by-election, it is a very safe Tory seat, and even if they lost it, their majority would be totally unchallenged. Why the strength of feeling from fellow MPs?

Secondly, his wife killed herself last year and he claims this case was a contributory factor. That tragedy, of course, is not an excuse for him not to be suspended if found guilty (which he was) but it does all make the story very curious.

Purely for the sake of hearing both sides, this is his statement, but without question he should be suspended as the committee determined and if that committee is itself not fit for purpose then any changes should apply in future, not to correct existing judgements.

As far as I'm concerned he should accept the suspension and learn from it. Make any protestations after the event.

https://www.owenpaterson.org/stateme...ttee-standards

Dreadful decision should take the suspension as the existing rules are applied.

If there is a need to review or overall the process to allow the right to defence it should then formulated by a cross party group after the suspension.

He could still be suspended as this decision simply shelves it .

I'm struggling to understand why pick fight this now as it creates a bigger headline ??

Strange.

Hang your head in shame if you voted for this. The corruption is relentless. We're a banana republic.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Firstly, this is a very peculiar sword to fall on. He's not a particularly important politician, it is only a relatively short suspension and even if it did lead to a by-election, it is a very safe Tory seat, and even if they lost it, their majority would be totally unchallenged. Why the strength of feeling from fellow MPs
    It is odd from that point of view. I think they must be using this as the excuse to rip up the existing rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    It is odd from that point of view. I think they must be using this as the excuse to rip up the existing rules.
    Think the real issue is they want Kathryn Stone gone as the Tories believe she is not impartial , a deeper look at other cases may reveal more or why they have acted in this way.

Sad to read his wife committed suicide?

Still think he should be suspended and an appeal allowed as everyone deserves a defence or right to appeal to a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Hang your head in shame if you voted for this. The corruption is relentless. We're a banana republic.
    I wouldn't say we're unstable as a country with our economy dependent upon the exportation of limited-resource product, such as bananas or minerals.

Well we've just left the world's biggest trading block in a huge act of economic self harm. Corruption has basically just been legalised. Our government has clearly been bought out by private interests. Our media is basically propaganda arms of our government...

🍌🍌🍌🍌

Screeching U turn today

There will be another vote on the Owen Paterson suspension and his case will not go before any revised standards body.

Government will now consult on any new standards body.

Not this governments finest hour.

I can only think that this was even considered a step too far by the forty per cent and Conservative MPs’ e Mail in boxes were reflecting that.

Whatever the reason, it’s a correct decision morally and, probably, politically.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can only think that this was even considered a step too far by the forty per cent and Conservative MPs’ e Mail in boxes were reflecting that.

Whatever the reason, it’s a correct decision morally and, probably, politically.
    I think perhaps someone told Boris something like this....

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ed+silly+thing

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Screeching U turn today

There will be another vote on the Owen Paterson suspension and his case will not go before any revised standards body.

Government will now consult on any new standards body.

Not this governments finest hour.
    Right decision.

I can well believe there are grounds to reform the process, and a lack of right to appeal is very curious, and this whole thing with his wife committing suicide and the level of support for him makes me suspect something is out of the norm here.

But you cant reform things retrospectively or to save one person. Presumably if they reform this standards committee structure, then he can be considered in future.

Either way, it was all a very bad look.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Right decision.

I can well believe there are grounds to reform the process, and a lack of right to appeal is very curious, and this whole thing with his wife committing suicide and the level of support for him makes me suspect something is out of the norm here.

But you cant reform things retrospectively or to save one person. Presumably if they reform this standards committee structure, then he can be considered in future.

Either way, it was all a very bad look.
    Totally agree someone was badly advised maybe Carrie had a whisper in Bo Jo ear , do agree right to appeal is a fundamental human right.

I also think it should not be judged by MP 's something like a court of arbitration based on fact and reason .

Done the decent thing

Owen Paterson says ‘I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics’ as he steps down.

Owen Paterson says he is quitting as an MP

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Totally agree someone was badly advised maybe Carrie had a whisper in Bo Jo ear , do agree right to appeal is a fundamental human right.

I also think it should not be judged by MP 's something like a court of arbitration based on fact and reason .
    He did have a right to appeal, he did and it was turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Done the decent thing

Owen Paterson says ‘I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics’ as he steps down.

Owen Paterson says he is quitting as an MP

Decent thing?

I think he knew it was going to get much worse for him, and without Johnson providing cover he was in more trouble.

He jumped before he was pushed.

A sleazebag and probably corrupt. Behaviour that was excused by the government before they realised the size of the shitstorm they had brought down on themselves (especially from the minority within their own ranks).

Good riddance!

I am normally a bit wary when the opposition (whether blue or red) wade in with cries of sleaze etc but the evidence is pretty damning in this case. This is from the BBC news website:

Mr Paterson has been a paid consultant for clinical diagnostics company Randox since 2015 and to meat distributor Lynn's Country Foods since 2016, earning a total of £100,000 a year on top of his MP's salary.

MPs are allowed to have these jobs, but are not allowed to be paid advocates - using their influence in Whitehall for the company's gain.

The committee concluded that Mr Paterson had breached this rule on paid advocacy by:

Making three approaches to the Food Standards Agency relating to Randox and the testing of antibiotics in milk
    Making seven approaches to the Food Standards Agency relating to Lynn's Country Foods
    Making four approaches to Ministers at the Department for International Development relating to Randox and blood testing technology

Mr Paterson was also found to have broken conduct rules by:

Failing to declare his interest as a paid consultant to Lynn's Country Foods in four emails to officials at the Food Standards Agency
    Using his parliamentary office on 16 occasions for business meetings with his clients
    And in sending two letters relating to his business interests, on House of Commons headed notepaper

I haven't heard or seen the usual "no law has been broken" statement which is normally trotted out in these cases. Such pronouncements annoy me intensely.