+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 from 5 to go down

Re: 3 from 5 to go down

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If anyone honestly believes going down is good for your club they’re delusional
    Absolutely correct. Relegation is a distinct possibility. Dalman stated at the meeting before the Boro game that no funds would be available in January. It is difficult to envisage that the recall of Wintle being enough to turn the season around on its own. So perhaps Tan will dig deep to fund other initiatives to avoid relegation be they loan or whatever. Perhaps relegation to League 1 might cause him to lose face which he might like to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If anyone honestly believes going down is good for your club they’re delusional
    Totally agree, some seem to think relegation means rebuilding and an instant better quality of football. If we don’t have any money in the championship then no doubt we will have even less in league one with lower gates, lower prize money etc I’d imagine further cut backs. We have to do everything we can to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Absolutely correct. Relegation is a distinct possibility. Dalman stated at the meeting before the Boro game that no funds would be available in January. It is difficult to envisage that the recall of Wintle being enough to turn the season around on its own. So perhaps Tan will dig deep to fund other initiatives to avoid relegation be they loan or whatever. Perhaps relegation to League 1 might cause him to lose face which he might like to avoid.
    I'll keep saying it but it was easy to say that without the barrel of a L1 shotgun being pushed in his and Tan's face. If we're in the bottom 3 by January then there's some creative accounting to be done. It's not like the club doesn't have form in that area. It just makes zero sense to say this. I can't fathom it. Seriously, I don't believe.

it's possible that we can't afford any more money in january without risking breaking FFP regulations in 2022

We lost 8 in a row, literally the worst run in our entire 122 year history, and we’re still not in the relegation zone. Yet some people are already resigned to relegation? Madness imo.

Mick’s gone and in our first 2 games we already look a lot better. QPR and Stoke are both in the top 6 and aren’t the teams we need to be beating. It’s the games against the bottom 10 where we need to be picking up points and based on the last two performances, and with Morison given some time to work with the team, I can definitely see us winning some of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's possible that we can't afford any more money in january without risking breaking FFP regulations in 2022
    Sadly true and the paying off or continuing to pay (whichever one it is) MM and TC will not have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'll keep saying it but it was easy to say that without the barrel of a L1 shotgun being pushed in his and Tan's face. If we're in the bottom 3 by January then there's some creative accounting to be done. It's not like the club doesn't have form in that area. It just makes zero sense to say this. I can't fathom it. Seriously, I don't believe.
    Hoping that Dalman’s intention is to under promise and over deliver when it comes to transfer/loan funds is all part of my grasping at straws.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Well I'm not telling him
    I think I know what you are referring to so I will.

That's 3 from 6 not 3 from 5.

Other than swapping Reading for Preston I think you are correct. Maybe Blackpool will get dragged back into it especially if we recall Wintle.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I think I know what you are referring to so I will.

That's 3 from 6 not 3 from 5.

Other than swapping Reading for Preston I think you are correct. Maybe Blackpool will get dragged back into it especially if we recall Wintle.
    Blackpool will be fine. Best side we have played this season,

I would hate to have been in the trenches with some of you lot

Yes its not looking great, we have been on a shocking run, but its the 1st week in Nov and people are talking about relegation

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Yes its not looking great, we have been on a shocking run, but its the 1st week in Nov and people are talking about relegation
    Us lot arent in the trenches.

All we can do is sit back and watch it unfold.

Hoping that Dalman’s intention is to under promise and over deliver when it comes to transfer/loan funds is all part of my grasping at straws.
    I think that's a distinct possibility but it's unlikely to be Dalman in my view. I think Tan will make a statement in January for three reasons. 1. It has to be done because of the threat of relegation 2. He (maybe via Dalman) will look good and 3. As has already been mentioned, failure is not an option for him and a good look for him.

I stress, I'm totally guessing here.

We should be in this group.
    We are falling down the table and Tues night was nothing short of a f’ing disgrace.

I've paid hundreds of pounds to be in these trenches. I'm gonna get my money's worth!

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    We lost 8 in a row, literally the worst run in our entire 122 year history, and we’re still not in the relegation zone. Yet some people are already resigned to relegation? Madness imo.

Mick’s gone and in our first 2 games we already look a lot better. QPR and Stoke are both in the top 6 and aren’t the teams we need to be beating. It’s the games against the bottom 10 where we need to be picking up points and based on the last two performances, and with Morison given some time to work with the team, I can definitely see us winning some of those games.
    We were lucky at Stoke and lost at home AGAIN. In a relegation battle performance means nothing, it's wins we need

Ah the old trenches analogy. 🙄 I suppose you would have been sat there with bullets whistling passed your head singing "always look on the bright side of life". The facts are we are in a relegation dog fight and no amount of overly positive thinking will change that.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Ah the old trenches analogy. �� I suppose you would have been sat there with bullets whistling passed your head singing "always look on the bright side of life". The facts are we are in a relegation dog fight and no amount of overly positive thinking will change that.
    as good a analogy as any in this circumstance

you are a glass 1/2 empty type of person, fair enough

trenches

Get in the bin, that's a ridiculous analogy. We're talking about a team who's just acquired 1 point out of a possible 30 it's hardly ridiculous to be talking about relegation.

And yes it's November, but we've played over a quarter of the season and have only won 3 games, get real.

as good a analogy as any in this circumstance

you are a glass 1/2 empty type of person, fair enough
    I deal in facts mate. Fact is we've not got enough quality, aren't scoring, aren't winning and have been told that in January nothing will be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    We were lucky at Stoke and lost at home AGAIN. In a relegation battle performance means nothing, it's wins we need
    Morison has had barely a week in charge and already got the team playing better. Yes we lost at home AGAIN, but we’re STILL not in the bottom 3 after 1 point from 10 games. Surely this shows our squad has enough talent to stay up when led by a slightly competent manager. A draw and a narrow loss against 2 top 6 sides is fine with me. It’s the upcoming games against the likes of Derby, Hull, Sheffield, etc where I’d find losses concerning.

As for performance meaning nothing, nonsense. I was a lot happier and more confident of results seeing our performance last night than compared to the performance against Swansea or West Brom.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Morison has had barely a week in charge and already got the team playing better. Yes we lost at home AGAIN, but we’re STILL not in the bottom 3 after 1 point from 10 games. Surely this shows our squad has enough talent to stay up when led by a slightly competent manager. A draw and a narrow loss against 2 top 6 sides is fine with me. It’s the upcoming games against the likes of Derby, Hull, Sheffield, etc where I’d find losses concerning.

As for performance meaning nothing, nonsense. I was a lot happier and more confident of results seeing our performance last night than compared to the performance against Swansea or West Brom.
    I can see what you mean but points on the board are all that matter. The best teams still win even when they play badly. Relegated teams play badly/well but don't have the quality to get the wins..I fear that's where we are now..

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We'll stay up based on other teams' deductions, as long as we don't get one ourselves of course
    I don’t think it’s as simple as that. If Derby and Cardiff maintain their current points per game ratios for the rest of the season, Derby would finish above City.

The same is true for Reading with a 9 points deduction. They would still finish above City.

Statement of the obvious, but the Bluebirds need to start winning matches sooner rather than later, because the current points per game ratio wouldn’t even be good enough to finish in front of sides who have or might have points deductions.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think that's a distinct possibility but it's unlikely to be Dalman in my view. I think Tan will make a statement in January for three reasons. 1. It has to be done because of the threat of relegation 2. He (maybe via Dalman) will look good and 3. As has already been mentioned, failure is not an option for him and a good look for him.

I stress, I'm totally guessing here.
    I'm not sure he can without risking breaking FFP and a points deduction

A sign of how difficult our season has been is that four of the five youngest players to play in the Championship this season are Reading players

The threat caused by FFP means that we might not even be able to recall Wintle in January without having someone move out first. There have been one or two comments from club employees about loaning out youngsters when the window reopens and, again, it may be that this will apply to some who have been involved with the first team in recent weeks. Therefore, I really don't think that we should expect Vincent Tan to make money available for the window no matter how much trouble we're in.

So, it seems to me that the search for a new manager should take into account a part of the job that doesn't get as much attention as other facets of it do - the ability to improve players already at the club. Clearly, the potential for that happening is greater with younger players than it is for the senior players, many of whom could well not be offered a new contract, but, in many cases, they need to up their performances this season if they are going to attract the interest of the sort of club they think will be after them, so I'd say there's a motivation for them to work constructively with the new manager as well.

Depressingly, there have been stories this week alleging that some on the Board favour another McCarthy type "safe pair of hands" appointment - surely after the disaster that was McCarthy at Cardiff once he'd signed his contract, we don't need more of that. Before they were appointed by us and Forest respectively, I thought the one thing which could be virtually guaranteed when appointing a McCarthy or Hughton in the Championship was that you wouldn't be relegated, but it would appear that those days are gone now maybe because the modern day pro is not too keen about playing the boring football preached by some old guy whose playing career was over before they were born?

To me, it's simple, a younger dynamic manager with a strong background in coaching is better placed to get improved performances out of the squad. Morison has the advantage of already being known and there can be no doubt that he has had a positive impact on the Under 23s, but, for me, someone like Beale has that recognised and successful background in coaching at high levels of the game that we should be looking for. Granted, he has not got the medals won from a playing career that was virtually over before it had to begun to impress the players with, but, you'd hope that they would know enough about him to see that his record tells you he certainly has something about him when it comes to coaching at least.

Of course, the risk comes because it's not known whether a young coach with a good reputation has it within him to make it as a manager (see Paul Clement for example), but it seems to me that it is a little easier these days for a top coach with no great background as a player to talk of to make a success of the manager's job - it would be a risk, but then so would another "safe pair of hands" appointment.