+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If Steve Morison gets the job?

If Steve Morison gets the job?

If he gets the job and a few quid to bring in say two or three players in January do you think he has enough knowledge and contacts to bring in the right players?

Re: If Steve Morison gets the job?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    If he gets the job and a few quid to bring in say two or three players in January do you think he has enough knowledge and contacts to bring in the right players?
    are "contacts" really that useful these days?

If Morison gets the job, I’d have thought that this would make it more likely that there is a little money for some loan players to hopefully get us through this season, so that we don’t go down.

I will grant you that Morison has done a good job with the under 23s but nobody has any real idea if he is capable of managing a championship club which is a much more complex task than managing an under 23 side. The jury is still out on that and we may know more after Huddersfield.

Don't subscribe to the view that we were good last night and just unlucky. Thought we never looked like scoring and didn't really go for it when we were behind. The only chance of us scoring was Flint heading in a corner towards the end and he wasn't even on the pitch. Thought he could have given Simba a go towards the end instead just a couple of negative like for like subs. Flynn is starting to look a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    If Morison gets the job, I’d have thought that this would make it more likely that there is a little money for some loan players to hopefully get us through this season, so that we don’t go down.
    Do you think Morison will have the knowledge to get the players in that we need?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    are "contacts" really that useful these days?
    I think it helps if a manager knows and chats to a few others in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I think it helps if a manager knows and chats to a few others in the game.
    We have a recruitment team, analysts, there are agents etc. The manager should be identifying the types of players he wants, then getting back a list of targets who meet that criteria and trying to get their preferred ones of those. to rely on a manager to be able to bring in players because he knows other managers or players in the game is very old school - and doesn't mean you're going to get the players you need. I know of several heads of recruitment / sporting directors who have very little history in the game here, but are ushering in a much higher level of professionalism in looking at recruitment than relying on a tip from a mate of a mate . I'm pretty sure Leicester didn't sign the likes of Mahrez and Kante from Le Havre and Caen because Nigel Pearson was golfing buddies with his counterparts in France.

We played a bit of football last night.
    The players that have been castigated on here (with one or two exceptions) can actually take a pass , find time to look around and find a teammate with a pass. QPR played a very high press and we still managed to play a bit of football right till the bitter end . And we even looked like scoring near the end .... .
    Rome wasn't built in a day , but if Morrison can do this in a week , give him till xmas. Imagine watching real football being played by Cardiff City...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day , but if Morrison can do this in a week , give him till xmas. Imagine watching real football being played by Cardiff City...
    Morison’s failure to use Flint in the latter stages puzzled me last night. He’s far more dangerous in opposition penalty areas than Nelson, so why not bring Flint on with the team desperately chasing an equaliser?

QPR looked uncomfortable with the late flurry of corners and throw-ins. They would have been more uncomfortable if Flint had been on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Morison’s failure to use Flint in the latter stages puzzled me last night. He’s far more dangerous in opposition penalty areas than Nelson, so why not bring Flint on with the team desperately chasing an equaliser?

QPR looked uncomfortable with the late flurry of corners and throw-ins. They would have been more uncomfortable if Flint had been on the field.
    To be honest I am a little surprised that Flint didn’t make the starting eleven last night.
    Morrison has been poor for quite some time and him and Nelson were terrible against Stoke.
    I agree when you are chasing an equaliser I would prefer to have Flint in there to push up for free kicks and corners

Agree; I'm hoping Morison doesn't make the same mistake against Huddersfield.

Flint and Zimba on last 5 might have won that game last night , with the number of ball into the penalty area , doesn't Zimba have good pace and strength ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Flint and Zimba on last 5 might have won that game last night , with the number of ball into the penalty area , doesn't Zimba have good pace and strength ??
    Drawing the game would have been a start. Putting Zimba on the bench and not using him last night seemed a bit pointless, but Morison had only one sub left in the latter stages. For me, chucking Flint on would have made the most sense, but Morison didn’t use either.

Drawing the game would have been a start. Putting Zimba on the bench and not using him last night seemed a bit pointless, but Morison had only one sub left in the latter stages. For me, chucking Flint on would have made the most sense, but Morison didn’t use either.
    I was disappointed he didn't sub Morrison after his 3rd(?) pointless back pass to Smithies when every other player was in-front of him. Flint was still warming up even in the 90th minute and had been for most of the second half - even with 4mins of added time he was looking over to the gaffer as if to say 'look, I can still get us something!'

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Agree; I'm hoping Morison doesn't make the same mistake against Huddersfield.
    Im hoping we are winning and not needing Flint on to grab an equaliser.😂

Agree it was strange we didnt use Flint or Zimba.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Im hoping we are winning and not needing Flint on to grab an equaliser.😂
    What is this thing of which you speak?

I'm not sure he's the right man at the moment. He may be a great coach, but we need a good manager. Someone who has worked in the Championship, and preferably who has been in a relegation dogfight at some stage. He must also know how to organise a defence, because none of the guys we've had recently had a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'm not sure he's the right man at the moment. He may be a great coach, but we need a good manager. Someone who has worked in the Championship, and preferably who has been in a relegation dogfight at some stage. He must also know how to organise a defence, because none of the guys we've had recently had a clue.
    maybe bring in a defence coach

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    To be fair I thought we limited QPR, I think the commentator said QPR are one of the highest teams for shots in the box and possession in the championship. I think we limited them and the goal frustratingly was more a lapse in concentration rather than not being organised.

I don’t think QPR would have complained if it was a draw. I thought generally considering who we had available the shape was pretty good against the sort of team we often struggle against.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    We played a bit of football last night.
    The players that have been castigated on here (with one or two exceptions) can actually take a pass , find time to look around and find a teammate with a pass. QPR played a very high press and we still managed to play a bit of football right till the bitter end . And we even looked like scoring near the end .... .
    I agree that Morison should be given a lot longer than 3 games -

He is being asked to something almost impossible;

a) get this squad confident
    b) get this squad playing football, and
    c) utilise the experienced players while bringing in talented young ones.

But who is in a better position to do this with no funds available? And I agree with Jimmy, if in a week we can see a difference, even if a gradual one, how much better can this articulate man do with more time? I think the answer is quite a lot better.