Re: Genesis

Busta Rhymes best album imho

Feedback

Utter shite

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Utter shite
    I've not listened to much of genesis stuff, but what i have heard could curdle milk at 100 paces. It's so boring and in my opinion it doesn't say anything. I'm no music aficionado, but i do like reading the music threads on here and give a little listen to what other posters like. There's some good stuff, but plenty of nondescript lift music that doesn't rouse any part of my being. My opinion of course (who else's) i suppose music taste is determined by so many aspects of life experience.

Whenever people discuss Genesis it's usually about the prog rock era of Gabriel/Hackett and the radio friendly rock of the Phil Collins years, neither of which I'm particularly keen on. What is often overlooked is Genesis's debut album From Genesis To Revelation which doesn't fall into either camp and is actually very good.

A mixture of psychedelic rock and baroque pop. There's one track that sounds like late 1960s Bee Gees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've not listened to much of genesis stuff, but what i have heard could curdle milk at 100 paces. It's so boring and in my opinion it doesn't say anything. I'm no music aficionado, but i do like reading the music threads on here and give a little listen to what other posters like. There's some good stuff, but plenty of nondescript lift music that doesn't rouse any part of my being. My opinion of course (who else's) i suppose music taste is determined by so many aspects of life experience.
    “I’m no music aficionado” is absolutely spot on. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. This is one of the greatest bands ever ,who have been very successful for over 50 years. Next time you go shopping, buy yourself some milk that won’t curdle. You do not stay at the top of your business if you have no talent. Please do not insult this band any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    “I’m no music aficionado” is absolutely spot on. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. This is one of the greatest bands ever ,who have been very successful for over 50 years. Next time you go shopping, buy yourself some milk that won’t curdle. You do not stay at the top of your business if you have no talent. Please do not insult this band any more.
    **** me, keep your hair on Ivor. I didn't say that they weren't talented.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I have no idea what defines a music aficionada but I watch a lot of live music (last night I watched Odd Morris in M/cr and tonight I'm off to watch the OCs, next week I've got Working Mens Club and Porridge Radio, the week after is Shame and then the Liines - you get the idea), and quite frankly selling a lot of records does not imply you're any good whatsoever. in fact, the more records you sell, the more you move away from what you were in the beginning and start producing music that sells, and not music that you want to make.

Genesis are ****ing gash, utter drivel, a muzak make machine. the only good thing to come out of Phil Collins was the jizz that made Lily.

I have no idea what defines a music aficionada but I watch a lot of live music (last night I watched Odd Morris in M/cr and tonight I'm off to watch the OCs, next week I've got Working Mens Club and Porridge Radio, the week after is Shame and then the Liines - you get the idea), and quite frankly selling a lot of records does not imply you're any good whatsoever. in fact, the more records you sell, the more you move away from what you were in the beginning and start producing music that sells, and not music that you want to make.

Genesis are ****ing gash, utter drivel, a muzak make machine. the only good thing to come out of Phil Collins was the jizz that made Lily.
    In your opinion! and what you say in your first paragraph there is some sense.But prog is about musicianship. ELP nothing for me but individually they are super musicians...the same goes for yes and genesis and king crimson. Pink fFoyd are blues based and frank Zappa more fusion jazz. Different strokes for different folks

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    In your opinion! and what you say in your first paragraph there is some sense.But prog is about musicianship. ELP nothing for me but individually they are super musicians...the same goes for yes and genesis and king crimson. Pink fFoyd are blues based and frank Zappa more fusion jazz. Different strokes for different folks
    Well yes of course its my opinion. I prefer finding new music than listening to the same band over and over. There's few bands who make an album better than their first. They played those first songs over many years, honing the songs until they were right. The 2nd album has no such luxury as its usually rushed to market at the behest of the record label

Sabbath

Metal

Have it

Close the book

Bring out your dead 💀

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Bloody crap

Been trying to listen to them after seeing so many people go to see them

Don't get it

One of most overrated bands of all time
    Dreadful, they managed to convince all the LCD pot heads they were good poor man's ELP, YES, Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sabbath

Metal

Have it

Close the book

Bring out your dead 💀
    It's far too obvious that all this metal talk is just a front and you've really been listening to the new ABBA album all day 🙂

Well yes of course its my opinion. I prefer finding new music than listening to the same band over and over. There's few bands who make an album better than their first. They played those first songs over many years, honing the songs until they were right. The 2nd album has no such luxury as its usually rushed to market at the behest of the record label
    Been in that position myself...of course your first materiel is the best...maybe not the best produced so the second album does well due to better production...then the third is hit and miss...The police are a great example

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It's far too obvious that all this metal talk is just a front and you've really been listening to the new ABBA album all day 🙂
    Take a chance on me , unstoppable pop

Imagine that with chainsaw guitars 🎸

Feedback

Been in that position myself...of course your first materiel is the best...maybe not the best produced so the second album does well due to better production...then the third is hit and miss...The police are a great example
    You get it, this is spot on.

Anyway, the OCs were great tonight, proper psychedelic rock with a bit of closet prog rock

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oh look at that bird on Mrs coldtarts roof !
    ....put your foreskin over your head

Why be so offensive ? No doubt loads of people (including me) think that the stuff you listen to is utter, tuneless and talentless, crap. Collins and the rest have had a 50 year successful career at the top and still fill large venues whereas the people you mention will probably disappear without trace quite quickly.

Just to write Genesis off as crap is a bit daft. Their work is so varied. Trespass is massively different from The Lamb Lies down on Broadway. The Lamb Lies down on Broadway is nothing like Duke etc.
    I’m no Collins fan but a big PG fan. However they kept going under Collins and became more successful.

Just to add they are proper musicians too. Hackett is one of the finest guitarists around. Collins one of the best drummers in his prime. Hardly crap.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Bloody crap

Been trying to listen to them after seeing so many people go to see them

Don't get it

One of most overrated bands of all time
    Went to see Kansas once (free tickets). They had two songs. The rest of the time reminded me either of crockery breaking against the wall during a barney with the missus or a chainsaw cutting through metal.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Went to see Kansas once (free tickets). They had two songs. The rest of the time reminded me either of crockery breaking against the wall during a barney with the missus or a chainsaw cutting through metal.
    Jimmy I can't believe what you've written. Kansas are absolutely superb. Carry On My Wayward Son is amazing. Sorry one of the best in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Jimmy I can't believe what you've written. Kansas are absolutely superb. Carry On My Wayward Son is amazing. Sorry one of the best in my opinion.
    As I said, they had two songs. You've named one. The other was "Dust in the Wind."

The rest was noise.

prog lesson

prog lesson

Jeremy Bender

Casper???