+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Have Villa got to be worried about relegation?

Have Villa got to be worried about relegation?

I haven’t seen a great deal of Villa this season and I know West Ham are genuine top four candidates, but I’ve been surprised at how poor they’ve been today (even before they went down to ten men) and that there seems to be an air of crisis about the place. Burnley will probably start to climb clear like they normally do and Newcastle will spend big in January, I think Villa might have to as well.

Re: Have Villa got to be worried about relegation?

Lost 4 in a row now, I thought they'd be good this season, seemed to have made some astute signings. I think they'll be fine, Norwich, Newcastle and Watford will be the ones to go down I think

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I haven’t seen a great deal of Villa this season and I know West Ham are genuine top four candidates, but I’ve been surprised at how poor they’ve been today (even before they went down to ten men) and that there seems to be an air of crisis about the place. Burnley will probably start to climb clear like they normally do and Newcastle will spend big in January, I think Villa might have to as well.
    Bugger Villa what about us?

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Bugger Villa what about us?
    I think we're covered discussion wise on here

Thought they bought well after selling Grealish but Smith doesn’t seem to know his best team anymore

If Watkins scores instead of hitting the bar, it’s a different game entirely. Villa posed a few problems but lacked the end product. As for West Ham, they flatter to deceive.Expect a mid table finish. It’s going their way at the moment , and they only looked in control when Villa had a player sent off. No way was that a 1-4 game at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    If Watkins scores instead of hitting the bar, it’s a different game entirely. Villa posed a few problems but lacked the end product. As for West Ham, they flatter to deceive.Expect a mid table finish. It’s going their way at the moment , and they only looked in control when Villa had a player sent off. No way was that a 1-4 game at the end.
    It definitely was, i saw the final score.

Villa's board seem to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Lost 4 in a row now, I thought they'd be good this season, seemed to have made some astute signings. I think they'll be fine, Norwich, Newcastle and Watford will be the ones to go down I think
    How Burnely manage to survive all the time is beyond me. Even when we played them here in the PL they were shocking, they won with some good fortune if I recall and only one or two attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Villa's board seem to think so.
    And rightly so Dave.

If they get relegated they are facing a huge financial penalty (and possible other sanctions such as transfer embargo and points deduction) from the EFL for breaches of financial fair play when they were in the Championship which couldn`t be imposed because they got promoted to the Premier but will be if and when they get relegated again to the EFL .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There's no clear candidate to go down besides probably Watford and definitely Norwich. I think Leeds, Villa and Newcastle should be very, very worried. Leeds have been absolutely awful every time I've watched them, injuries are mounting up and their squad is paper thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    There's no clear candidate to go down besides probably Watford and definitely Norwich. I think Leeds, Villa and Newcastle should be very, very worried. Leeds have been absolutely awful every time I've watched them, injuries are mounting up and their squad is paper thin.
    I confess to not following much of what's happened in the EPL this season but why are they so bad? They were all guns blazing when they got promoted and they seemed to be playing some exciting football. I haven't seen them at all so was just wondering why? Is it just down to injuries and a small squad? Has something else been going on? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    And rightly so Dave.

If they get relegated they are facing a huge financial penalty (and possible other sanctions such as transfer embargo and points deduction) from the EFL for breaches of financial fair play when they were in the Championship which couldn`t be imposed because they got promoted to the Premier but will be if and when they get relegated again to the EFL .
    So there are no penalties for breaching FFP if a side wins promotion until they are relegated again? Surely that does little to discourage breaches of FFP....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So there are no penalties for breaching FFP if a side wins promotion until they are relegated again? Surely that does little to discourage breaches of FFP....
    Agreed. The problem is caused by having the two sets of football organisations setting two varying sets of rules and not being able to control clubs not in its own organisation.

You are right about the lack of discouragement. In fact it encourages clubs to take greater financial risks in their efforts to reach the riches of the Premier League when , of course, not all of them can.

The most recent club who received a deferred punishment on relegation back to the Championship was QPR who faced a fine of around £50m. The EFL then bottled it and significantly reduced the fine if Tony Fernandez put more shares into the club and then even allowed the remaining fine to be paid off over ten years. Unbelievable and "toothless" as a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    Agreed. The problem is caused by having the two sets of football organisations setting two varying sets of rules and not being able to control clubs not in its own organisation.

You are right about the lack of discouragement. In fact it encourages clubs to take greater financial risks in their efforts to reach the riches of the Premier League when , of course, not all of them can.

The most recent club who received a deferred punishment on relegation back to the Championship was QPR who faced a fine of around £50m. The EFL then bottled it and significantly reduced the fine if Tony Fernandez put more shares into the club and then even allowed the remaining fine to be paid off over ten years. Unbelievable and "toothless" as a punishment
    And I dare say the PL has no interest in working with the EFL on this as clubs who give the 'v' sign to FFP and win promotion are likely to be bigger players in the PL after promotion, strengthening the PL in the process.