+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snowflake schools

Banned

Snowflake schools

We had our 2 grandchildren over last night to take to the display in Barry.
    This diwali celebration thing popped up on the news and they said "ow bamp we were taught about this in school today" , and proceeded to rattle off this big long story about the event.

I said to them, "oh that's interesting, now as its bonfire night, can anyone tell me why we celebrate bonfire night?"

No, they heard of the name guy fawkes but that's it.

Now what is happening here in the world? Uh?
    Where my grandkids are taught Asian holiday history but don't know why I've paid £5 per person to go to a firework display?

Cmon mun.

Re: Snowflake schools

Yeah, teach them the truth, stuff like:

The Attorney General Sir Edward Coke told the court that each of the condemned would be drawn backwards to his death, by a horse, his head near the ground. They were to be "put to death halfway between heaven and earth as unworthy of both". Their genitals would be cut off and burnt before their eyes, and their bowels and hearts removed. They would then be decapitated, and the dismembered parts of their bodies displayed so that they might become "prey for the fowls of the air"
    As Fawkes awaited his grisly punishment on the gallows, Fawkes leapt to his death - to avoid the horrors of having his testicles cut off, his stomach opened and his guts spilled out before his eyes. He died from a broken neck.

His body was subsequently quartered, and his remains were sent to "the four corners of the kingdom" as a warning to others.
    And that according to historian Lewis Call, Fawkes is now "a major icon in modern political culture" whose face has become "a potentially powerful instrument for the articulation of postmodern anarchism" in the late 20th century.

I'm all for teaching kids the truth in these snowflake schools then counselling them for PTSD afterwards.

Banned

Just teach them the thwarting of a failed terrorist attack on Parliament would suffice I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Just teach them the thwarting of a failed terrorist attack on Parliament would suffice I'd say.
    In 1605. Hardly relevant to 2021. Interestingly, his former school, St. Peter’s in York, does not celebrate Guy Fawkes Night, as they refuse to burn a guy out of respect for one of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yeah, teach them the truth, stuff like:

The Attorney General Sir Edward Coke told the court that each of the condemned would be drawn backwards to his death, by a horse, his head near the ground. They were to be "put to death halfway between heaven and earth as unworthy of both". Their genitals would be cut off and burnt before their eyes, and their bowels and hearts removed. They would then be decapitated, and the dismembered parts of their bodies displayed so that they might become "prey for the fowls of the air"
    As Fawkes awaited his grisly punishment on the gallows, Fawkes leapt to his death - to avoid the horrors of having his testicles cut off, his stomach opened and his guts spilled out before his eyes. He died from a broken neck.

His body was subsequently quartered, and his remains were sent to "the four corners of the kingdom" as a warning to others.
    And that according to historian Lewis Call, Fawkes is now "a major icon in modern political culture" whose face has become "a potentially powerful instrument for the articulation of postmodern anarchism" in the late 20th century.

I'm all for teaching kids the truth in these snowflake schools then counselling them for PTSD afterwards.
    We have "snowflaked" the process of "hanging, drawing and quartering" for donkeys years by leaving out any reference to "emasculation".

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    In 1605. Hardly relevant to 2021. Interestingly, his former school, St. Peter’s in York, does not celebrate Guy Fawkes Night, as they refuse to burn a guy out of respect for one of their own.
    My Grandparents didn't like my sister and i celebrating Guido Fawkes night. Staunch Catholics. I loved it as a kid, absolute mayhem. Each little estate in Llanededyrn would have it's own bonfire. Kids collecting anything that would burn and plenty of stuff that wouldn't. The fire, probably 5 or 6 mts in height would be thrown up next to houses and flats on a little bit of wasteland. No health and safety and the parents didn't seem to give a ****. How more people weren't killed is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    My Grandparents didn't like my sister and i celebrating Guido Fawkes night. Staunch Catholics. I loved it as a kid, absolute mayhem. Each little estate in Llanededyrn would have it's own bonfire. Kids collecting anything that would burn and plenty of stuff that wouldn't. The fire, probably 5 or 6 mts in height would be thrown up next to houses and flats on a little bit of wasteland. No health and safety and the parents didn't seem to give a ****. How more people weren't killed is beyond me.
    Crazy, how many were killed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I used to love bonfire night but was given the 'edited' version of why it happened. I'm amazed we didn't lose fingers or eyes when playing with 'bangers' and daring each other. These days I hate fireworks for bonfire night. Yesterday, though, near me, the Hindu Temple had a massive display celebrating Diwali which was very much part of the local community.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    We have "snowflaked" the process of "hanging, drawing and quartering" for donkeys years by leaving out any reference to "emasculation".
    The truth is out there, albeit extremely gruesome!

This diwali celebration thing popped up on the news and they said "ow bamp we were taught about this in school today" , and proceeded to rattle off this big long story about the event.

I said to them, "oh that's interesting, now as its bonfire night, can anyone tell me why we celebrate bonfire night?"

Where my grandkids are taught Asian holiday history but don't know why I've paid £5 per person to go to a firework display?

Cmon mun.
    I usually ask my kids if they want a hot dog or a burger at events like this and swerve the subject of political and religious history that entails religious persecution, terrorism, torture and execution and keep it for a Sunday night after Songs of Praise.

The Diwali celebrations are a great laugh

Went to one in the Hindu temple in Grangetown several years back

Fantastic food , great dancing 💃

Why anybody would object to their grandchildren taking part in this and learning about it I have no idea 🤔

Cmon mun.
    The firework display is complete bollocks and learning about different cultures is far more interesting ?

In 20 years time one of your grandchildren might have an Asian boyfriend or girlfriend !

Blimey

What year are your grandchildren in? Learning about Guy Fawkes may come later in the curriculum, or the school may just have decided to teach something more diverse instead to broaden children’s minds and understanding. How can that be a bad thing 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Aparently the "hanging" part of the punishment gave the victim a huge erection, so they started removing the object of the crowd's amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I usually ask my kids if they want a hot dog or a burger at events like this and swerve the subject of political and religious history that entails religious persecution, terrorism, torture and execution and keep it for a Sunday night after Songs of Praise.
    I've got some sort of bug and sputtering cough and sore throat so this post making me laugh was painful, but I stoically guffawed. Liking your sense of humour!

Only utter pricks use the term "snowflake" in 2021.

Schools can't teach kids absolutely everything, and you can teach them things yourself, as I'm guessing you did.

Did you ask them last week if they knew what Halloween was about, or did they just help carve a pumpkin and ask some neighbours for some sweets?

Careful there, you’re sounding a bit like a snowflake....

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Why anybody would object to their grandchildren taking part in this and learning about it I have no idea 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Only utter pricks use the term "snowflake" in 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Careful there, you’re sounding a bit like a snowflake....
    Not many snowflakes round here -
    they're melting away.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Schools can't teach kids absolutely everything, and you can teach them things yourself, as I'm guessing you did.
    He's doing modern history with them next week.

The Battle of the Boyne 1690.

Fun Bampi he's known as.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Aparently the "hanging" part of the punishment gave the victim a huge erection, so they started removing the object of the crowd's amusement.
    Stiff punishment.

Cmon mun.
    I’m sure more people celebrate Diwali in the world than bonfire night

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Well the food that my Hindu mates gave me have made me gain some weight… whoopsie… so good… 🤤