+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 81

Thread: Snowflake schools

  1. #41

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    These days if you say youíre British they throw you in jail.

  2. #42

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    People have skewed what I said here lads.
    I got no objection to em being taught anything, however being taught a foreign topic before British history is quite wrong.
    Umm... Hindus have been in the UK for many generations

  3. #43

    Re: Snowflake schools

    I'd love to see or take part in the Holi Celebrations.
    It looks like amazing fun.

  4. #44

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Iíve not got a issue with anything taught in school but Welsh history should be prioritised

  5. #45

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Iíve not got a issue with anything taught in school but Welsh history should be prioritised
    Agreed, definitely not enough taught about it when I was at school.

  6. #46

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Why is learning different cultures better than British history
    Because British (English) history is largely a fckin disgrace maybe ?

  7. #47

    Re: Snowflake schools

    At school did history

    Taught endless cobblers about Henry the 8th ......he was a shit ....

    Nothing about the colonialism of the British Empire , Slavery etc

    The latter is far more interesting than talking about some fat bloke in a pair of tights

  8. #48

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Because British (English) history is largely a fckin disgrace maybe ?
    All kids should be given a copy of 52 Times Britain Was a Bellend. Lots of examples there that certainly don't get taught in schools.

  9. #49

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    All kids should be given a copy of 52 Times Britain Was a Bellend. Lots of examples there that certainly don't get taught in schools.
    Just 52? I assume there are several more volumes

  10. #50

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Only utter pricks use the term "snowflake" in 2021.
    Totally true!!! They're usually to be found on the loony Donald Trump/Twathead Farage/Bolsanaro side of the spectrum.

  11. #51

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    All kids should be given a copy of 52 Times Britain Was a Bellend. Lots of examples there that certainly don't get taught in schools.
    The self deprecating nature of the British is depressing at times

    Yes Britain have been arseholes, no different to pretty much any other country on earth.

  12. #52

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Iíve not got a issue with anything taught in school but Welsh history should be prioritised
    There's a very simple but extremely important reason why Welsh "history" isn't prioritised in our schools and thank goodness it isn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with the mere fact we are governed from London.

    Like it or not (and there's so very much of it to be embarrassed about) English (and latterly) British history has played an overwhelming contribution to the development of the Western World as it is today. Yes, other countries too, as in France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Hungary, Russia, USA etc. However the English/British significance is arguably the most important of it all.

    Wales on the other hand, similar to Catalunya, Andorra, Malta, Chad, Bermuda, Lesotho etc etc etc. has played such a miniscule part on the history of the World it would be unnecessary and propernfor it to be included in student's history lessons.

    There's a place for local "history" in early years teachings as a warm up to History but it should never ever be integrated into mainstream History lessons except in special contexts as is historically necessary.

    Could you imagine how I'll prepared students would be if they learned their own local history as opposed to the important course of events of world History of they lived in Mauritania, Antigua, Turkmenistan, Tonga or Paraguay for example?

  13. #53

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The self deprecating nature of the British is depressing at times

    Yes Britain have been arseholes, no different to pretty much any other country on earth.
    Itís not self deprecating itís true and itís interesting stuff to learn about. Who wants to be taught an edited positive version of what happened rather than the facts.

    Cover Belgium, France and Spain as well itís genuinely interesting history.

    The actual ďsnowflakesĒ are the ones who want british history taught but through rose coloured glasses.

    Iíd love to have been taught an actual unbiased version of the English/british role in Ireland.

  14. #54

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    There's a very simple but extremely important reason why Welsh "history" isn't prioritised in our schools and thank goodness it isn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with the mere fact we are governed from London.

    Like it or not (and there's so very much of it to be embarrassed about) English (and latterly) British history has played an overwhelming contribution to the development of the Western World as it is today. Yes, other countries too, as in France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Hungary, Russia, USA etc. However the English/British significance is arguably the most important of it all.

    Wales on the other hand, similar to Catalunya, Andorra, Malta, Chad, Bermuda, Lesotho etc etc etc. has played such a miniscule part on the history of the World it would be unnecessary and propernfor it to be included in student's history lessons.

    There's a place for local "history" in early years teachings as a warm up to History but it should never ever be integrated into mainstream History lessons except in special contexts as is historically necessary.

    Could you imagine how I'll prepared students would be if they learned their own local history as opposed to the important course of events of world History of they lived in Mauritania, Antigua, Turkmenistan, Tonga or Paraguay for example?
    Why not teach a bit of both though. The Chartists in wales is a really interesting and important part of history.

  15. #55
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,919

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    These days if you say youíre British they throw you in jail.
    English not British!


  16. #56

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    We had our 2 grandchildren over last night to take to the display in Barry.
    This diwali celebration thing popped up on the news and they said "ow bamp we were taught about this in school today" , and proceeded to rattle off this big long story about the event.

    I said to them, "oh that's interesting, now as its bonfire night, can anyone tell me why we celebrate bonfire night?"

    No, they heard of the name guy fawkes but that's it.

    Now what is happening here in the world? Uh?
    Where my grandkids are taught Asian holiday history but don't know why I've paid £5 per person to go to a firework display?

    Cmon mun.
    Is it possible your grandkids just forgot what they were told?

  17. #57

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Only utter pricks use the term "snowflake" in 2021.
    +1

  18. #58

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    English not British!

    Was tailoring the response

  19. #59

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    There's a very simple but extremely important reason why Welsh "history" isn't prioritised in our schools and thank goodness it isn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with the mere fact we are governed from London.

    Like it or not (and there's so very much of it to be embarrassed about) English (and latterly) British history has played an overwhelming contribution to the development of the Western World as it is today. Yes, other countries too, as in France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Hungary, Russia, USA etc. However the English/British significance is arguably the most important of it all.

    Wales on the other hand, similar to Catalunya, Andorra, Malta, Chad, Bermuda, Lesotho etc etc etc. has played such a miniscule part on the history of the World it would be unnecessary and propernfor it to be included in student's history lessons.

    There's a place for local "history" in early years teachings as a warm up to History but it should never ever be integrated into mainstream History lessons except in special contexts as is historically necessary.

    Could you imagine how I'll prepared students would be if they learned their own local history as opposed to the important course of events of world History of they lived in Mauritania, Antigua, Turkmenistan, Tonga or Paraguay for example?
    Seems a bit absolute this opinion. I always have my doubts about absolutists.

    Then again, I can't tell you how much I have benefited from studying the Bayeux Tapestry and the battle of Hastings at GCSE level. Totally opened things up for me.

    In all seriousness. As someone who only holds a passing interest in history, the book I enjoyed most was John Davies' a History of Wales. Gives a whole new understanding of the modern idea of being British. An antidote to the toxic British nationalism of recent times possibly.

    Alas. We have to learn about the good old industrial revolution..... another bad idea it seems.

  20. #60

    Re: Snowflake schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Why not teach a bit of both though. The Chartists in wales is a really interesting and important part of history.
    Yes I agree the Chartist movement was very compelling and I agree in an ideal world we can never have enough learning.

    The problem is there are only so many hours in a day and indeed a lifetime. Also, children need to learn other subjects like Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geography etc. Any school curriculum is necessarily constrained to the amount of time which can be devoted to a subject in the context of a child's concentration span. It's a bit easier with the science subjects.

    In the case of History which is much more subjective and open to interpretation the issue is to fix upon the mainstream historical narrative without deviating too much into minor but no less interesting themes. There is an extremely good argument that children should learn a broader world view of History but on the interest of practicality that can be accessed as further education learning.

    There's maybe a place for Welsh culture learning for small children but I would argue that the vast majority of Welsh 'history" is of no significance to an understanding of how the World developed. Therefore apart from
    certain historically important aspects in the wider historical context my opinion is it should only be taught as a non compulsory subject for those who want to learn about it.

    The problem about people wanting more "cultural identification" for children is that it detracts from the practicalities of delivering to them a sound education. That's not to say it has its place by the way as a voluntarily chosen further education course.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •