+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City players you've seen out and about.

Re: City players you've seen out and about.

Various players in gyms. Surely the club have their own gym? Odd.

Damon searle (when he was a player) at the football pitches in Fairwater. He stopped and had a 20 minute game of 2-touch with us.

Jason Fowler at my friend's house - he was going out with my mate's sister. Not surprisingly, he never wanted to come out for a kick about with us.

Not me, but my dad said he saw Lee Jarman recently working on a neighbour's garden.

I remember sitting on the table next to Rossco at the custom house after a game when he was in his prime with his girlfriend and his girlfriends mother…. Both very nice.

The waitress dropped a glass on their table, I remember feeling quite protective lol

I had a beer with Carl Dale and Nathan Wigg one night in Newport Fugitives cricket club after they’d just arrived back from winning at Darlington. Jason Perry was there too but was more interested on checking out the dance floor.

Bobby Brown in Bookers in Haverfordwest. (He used to run the Rising Sun pub down here)

Seen Whitts on Queen Street with a group of boys I assume we’re his mates. All dodgy clobber like that famous photo of the Man Utd team out on the town.

Kav a few times in town. Once queing outside Creation. Funnily enough, he didn’t want to chat with a pissed up teenager from the valleys.

A load of the team in Soda bar at the end of the season. Must have been around 2012. Remember thinking Joe Mason was a young child. Had a pint with Super Kev. Enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Was on a cruise a few years back.
    Keith Pontin was on there with his Wife and another couple.
    Lovely guy.

We shared a cable cart in Madeira.
    Keys in the bowl?

Super kev out running near Sophia Gardens. I was running the other direction, with my city shirt on and he gave me a nod.

He was out with injury at the time and I regret not saying 'looking forward to seeing you back soon' or something but there was no time (obviously as I was running so very fast).

Fred Stansfield in his newsagent shop in Whitchurch

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Fred Stansfield in his newsagent shop in Whitchurch
    I used to chat to him when waiting for my Football Echo on a Saturday night. I also met loads when I was involved at Welsh League level and particularly remember an afternoon chatting with George Wood, who I saw every week, Don Murray and Nigel Rees after a game had been called off. The Giles brothers were also joint managers of my team and they were real characters. Spent an evening with Derek Tapscott when he was invited along as a guest for a game against Barry and Ron Stitfall gave me a bottle of wine he won in the raffle because he didn't drink. Ronnie Bird was often around as well because players in those days frequently stayed involved in local football. More recently, Derek Brazil was a great bloke and finally, I sat next to Brian Clark at a rugby international - he said he loved the atmosphere!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    The most recent one for me was Gunnarsson shortly before he left the club.

He was sat a few tables away from me in Wagamama with his family in Mill Lane.
    Robin Friday, 1.5 hours before a game, lost near Cardiff Bus Station. Put him on the correct bus, resulted in free tickets for me and my mates.

The whole squad a few weeks before the FA Cup final in M+S Culverhouse Cross, going for suit fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Was on a cruise a few years back.
    Keith Pontin was on there with his Wife and another couple.
    Lovely guy.

We shared a cable cart in Madeira.
    Cart!!! How the f*ck did they get the horse up there?

Steve Thompson dining at The Custom House in Penarth, a few tables away from us.

My wife asked him to autograph a paper napkin and he was very happy to. For our boys of course.....

Once upon a time, as a kid during the long-ago days of Harold Wilson and Alf Garnett, I was watching a movie at the Old Capitol Theatre, when I heard some rustling in the seats behind me. I turned around and there was Bobby Woodruff seating a couple of kids. He didn't stay with them. Probably just dropping them off while he ran some errand.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cart!!! How the f*ck did they get the horse up there?
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Once upon a time, as a kid during the long-ago days of Harold Wilson and Alf Garnett, I was watching a movie at the Old Capitol Theatre, when I heard some rustling in the seats behind me. I turned around and there was Bobby Woodruff seating a couple of kids. He didn't stay with them. Probably just dropping them off while he ran some errand.
    That had just reminded me, that I have got Bobby Woodruff’s autograph.
    Our junior school had some sporting event at Cyncoed college in the mid seventies. Our football teacher saw him and told us about the Cardiff City footballer “over there” and cajoled us to go over to him and get his autograph, while we had the opportunity.
    Unfortunately, as I wasn’t following City back then and I didn’t know who he was, I initially came back with the wrong signature.
    I did go back and get the correct one.

Cohen Griffith in a restaurant in Cyprus.
    Peter Thorne waiting for his medical at UHW.
    Paul Millar and Nick Richardson on Cowbridge Road in Canton.
    Peter Whittingham in St Davids Centre, Cardiff.
    Jorn Schwinkendorf in the club Boardroom.
    Also met Jason Perry, Damon Searle, Derek Brazil, and many others while doing TBL interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Cohen Griffith in a restaurant in Cyprus.
    Peter Thorne waiting for his medical at UHW.
    Paul Millar and Nick Richardson on Cowbridge Road in Canton.
    Peter Whittingham in St Davids Centre, Cardiff.
    Jorn Schwinkendorf in the club Boardroom.
    Also met Jason Perry, Damon Searle, Derek Brazil, and many others while doing TBL interviews.
    The club boardroom doesn’t really classify as ‘out and about’, does it? ;-) Fair play for having actually met Schwinky though.

George Wood a right gobby kent.

Robbie James in Bradford

He was playing for CCFC and we had beaten Halifax , chatted to him in the players bar , he invited me back to the hotel he always stayed in when he was playing for Bradford

Arrived and they had the ticker tape out for him , welcomed like a hero

Told me bar was paid for and when I had had enough to ask at reception and they would give me a room

1993 I think 🤔

He was a minor celebrity up there . He loved playing for Cardiff , said it wasxa great way to end his career .

Rest In Peace Robbie James

John Charles in his shop in Rhiwbina

Rhys Weston, patiently waiting in a rather long Starbucks queue in Queen Street.

Garry Stevens, having returned home from an away game and drinking in the Queen's Vaults. Explaining to a group of City players how his downward header, in front of goal, had hit a divot and failed to go in. Exclaiming that it was just typical of his bad luck!

John Buchanan, who was visiting his wife in the maternity ward of UHW, 1976.

Banned

Saw Joe ledley in town when he was about to leave us.

Saw David Marshall in Cardiff West services petrol station

Neil Alexander in Hawthorn leisure centre

Working away in North Wales seen Carl Dale a few times as he runs a electrical firm

Whitts could often be found down the ship inn in Barry

Damon searle goes up the tynewydd Inn in Barry sometimes after games.

On a side note I've Saw loads of celebs while working in London.

Mickey Rourke and Alicia Silverstone being the top of that tree.

John Buchanan in the Bluebirds Club 1976 . He was presenting the prizes for an Association of Supporters Clubs football quiz.

John Charles, my gran used to take me to look through his shop window in Rhiwbina to see if he was there
    Willie Andersons labrador licked my face when I was connecting the street light outside his house in Radyr when I was an apprentice
    I was star struck when I saw him so could only smile
    Keith Pontin was my postman for a while when he finished playing
    Morrison in B&M culver, I was behind him at till, he looked like 70's man without his ponytail in