+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Do you want Steve Morison to be our manager until the end of the season?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 73.13%
  • No

18 26.87%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you want Steve Morison to be given a managerial contract until the end of the season?

Re: Do you want Steve Morison to be given a managerial contract until the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    The reaction of the crowd on his return was vomit-inducing. We'd just lost.
    Fans have gone soft.
    Years ago most returning players and managers would have grief but these days our fans want to lick arse even though they score against us or manage the opposition.
    Shame McCarthy didn't go over and plant one on Warnock..

Re: Do you want Steve Morison to be given a managerial contract until the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    There's reasons to criticise our board but has any board ever actually done this?
    I don't think they did it right away but I remember Southampton sacking Nigel Adkins pretty quickly, having taken them from League 1 to the PL, and replacing him with some unknown guy from abroad. They got absolutely crucified for it in all quarters.

Of course, that unknown foreigner was Mauricio Pochettino, and Southampton haven't been relegated since, so I guess there's something to be said for being ruthless.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I don't think they did it right away but I remember Southampton sacking Nigel Adkins pretty quickly, having taken them from League 1 to the PL, and replacing him with some unknown guy from abroad. They got absolutely crucified for it in all quarters.

Of course, that unknown foreigner was Mauricio Pochettino, and Southampton haven't been relegated since, so I guess there's something to be said for being ruthless.
    In most instances like this, the club has someone else lined up, another plan and a vision of what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I agree. The reaction of the crowd on his return is probably a fairer reflection of how he is remembered and respected than the bizarre summing up of a couple of dozen regulars on here.
    What's "bizarre" about pointing out that Warnock wasn't City manager only from October 2016 until May 2018, there was also June 2018 until November 2019? After making some great free transfer signings, in January 2018 Warnock had given the Board a taste of what was to come with the buying of Madine for an utterly ridiculous fee (although there are some on here who'll tell you he was a good signing because he made a goal against Sheffield United and, rather than hitting the woodwork, he forced the keeper into making a save from a penalty he took!).

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Fans have gone soft.
    Years ago most returning players and managers would have grief but these days our fans want to lick arse even though they score against us or manage the opposition.
    Shame McCarthy didn't go over and plant one on Warnock..
    If that's how a Warnock 'good mate' treats you, imagine what a p*ssed off Warnock is capable of? Great if you're one of his faves (Paterson) but sh*t if you p*ss him off (Decordova-Reid and a load of his other signings).

Remember him going mental with Nuno for not shaking hands in the required Warnock time-period?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What's "bizarre" about pointing out that Warnock wasn't City manager only from October 2016 until May 2018, there was also June 2018 until November 2019? After making some great free transfer signings, in January 2018 Warnock had given the Board a taste of what was to come with the buying of Madine for an utterly ridiculous fee (although there are some on here who'll tell you he was a good signing because he made a goal against Sheffield United and, rather than hitting the woodwork, he forced the keeper into making a save from a penalty he took!).
    It's a bit like the view that we played great football week in week out under Dave Jones and that if he'd had more money he'd have won promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's a bit like the view that we played great football week in week out under Dave Jones and that if he'd had more money he'd have won promotion.
    Yes the Dave Jones shoestring budget myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes the Dave Jones shoestring budget myth.
    we didn't pay that much in transfer fees, but we had a very high wage budget.

at our best we played a good brand of football, we were brittle though, but when you've got more footballers than cloggers in the side that's a price I'm happy to pay at times. we could also still be pretty direct when we needed.

the most impressive thing about the Dave Jones era for me is he was here for 6 years, and in each of those 6 years we improved our points total on the previous year. that is a pretty unheard of level of consistent success. probably anywhere in the league.
    at our best in his final season I think we were better than either of the sides that got promoted. if Jones had the Tan money to spend we would have had a decent chance of going up I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we didn't pay that much in transfer fees, but we had a very high wage budget.

at our best we played a good brand of football, we were brittle though, but when you've got more footballers than cloggers in the side that's a price I'm happy to pay at times. we could also still be pretty direct when we needed.

the most impressive thing about the Dave Jones era for me is he was here for 6 years, and in each of those 6 years we improved our points total on the previous year. that is a pretty unheard of level of consistent success. probably anywhere in the league.
    at our best in his final season I think we were better than either of the sides that got promoted. if Jones had the Tan money to spend we would have had a decent chance of going up I think.
    I disagree. Jones rigid 442 tactics lack of fitness , poor discipline were meant we were destined to full short.

The tales of ex players of their time here as well whilst funny is quite depressing when us fans are shelling out to pay their wages and they are pissed up on inflatables in the Algarve.

The transformation under Malky in 2 years was incredible.

Jones deserves credit for some excellent signings though there were awful ones as well. But a better manager would have done better.

I disagree. Jones rigid 442 tactics lack of fitness , poor discipline were meant we were destined to full short.

The tales of ex players of their time here as well whilst funny is quite depressing when us fans are shelling out to pay their wages and they are pissed up on inflatables in the Algarve.

The transformation under Malky in 2 years was incredible.

Jones deserves credit for some excellent signings though there were awful ones as well. But a better manager would have done better.
    if he was so awful then why did he get more points every season for 6 consecutive seasons?
    who else has achieved that?

What's DJ up to these days?

if he was so awful then why did he get more points every season for 6 consecutive seasons?
    I didnt say he was so awful. Highlighted his failings. Malky didnt need 6 seasons. A squad left in a mess by Jones. Play offs , Carling Cup Final , Football League Championship. In 2.

Ultimately Jones failed.

That play off final tactically was a complete disaster. It was so predictable as well. Bothroyd injured. Add in an overwhelmed centre midfield. Disaster.

Just to clear this up, he didn't get more points every season for 6 consecutive seasons - our points tally for his 6 seasons was 60, 64 (GD +4), 64 (GD +4), 74, 76, 80. However, I think that's a moot point. We could say we didn't go backwards during his time, except possibly for the whole of 2007, when we were pretty poor for most of it.

Jimmy Scoular had 5 successive seasons where his side got more points each season (between 1966/67 and 1970/71).

Anyway, in another reply you suggest that, at our best in Jones' last season, we were better than either of the sides that won promotion. I couldn't agree more. When we did play well, we were a very good side. I'd even say that was true of the sides from each season after the FA cup final. When we played well, we played exciting football and would have easily survived in the Premier League. I think Jones and Ridsdale were a good combination in terms of recruting players; pay little up front and spend big on wages. I think we had a general plan of how to play - players that left were often replaced with similar. The club signed some duds but also brought in some very good players for little money. By comparison, our recent transfer activities have been atrocious! While Jones deserves some credit, I also think it's important to consider Ridsdale - a football man who knows the game very well, who was our chairman. We certainly can't say the same about our current chair or the board!!

I think the fact that most City fans would agree that the sides we had under Jones were good enough to have stayed in the Premier League is actually a damning indictment on Jones as a manager - we were good enough to be there but we never got there. We failed at every final hurdle. There was never an advantage that we couldn't throw away. There was always a run of abysmal performances and form waiting to strike when we looked invincible. There were usually struggles against sides down the bottom of the table, yet we could play the best sides in the division off the park. TOBW called us flat track bullies and he was right. When it got difficult, we wilted. It got to the point where we knew we were good enough to walk the division, yet the same failings cropped up time and again.

Two away games, for me, sum up Jones' tenure with us. Bristol City 0-6 Cardiff City. We declared early in the second half. It could have been 10. Peterborough 4-4 Cardiff City. 4-0 up, cruising, looking like nothing could stop us, then we got complacent and threw away what looked like an unassailable lead. Bit like missing out on the playoffs in 2009.

We always had the talent under DJ but certainly not the discipline. I always reminisce about going back to the DJ days then I remember how quickly we imploded after Christmas.

On to Steve Morrison, I think he's done a great job since taking over. It's a challenge transitioning into a footballing side compared to our last few years however I don't want him to have the job simply as he's onto a loser if he takes over.

I didnt say he was so awful. Highlighted his failings. Malky didnt need 6 seasons. A squad left in a mess by Jones. Play offs , Carling Cup Final , Football League Championship. In 2.

Ultimately Jones failed.

That play off final tactically was a complete disaster. It was so predictable as well. Bothroyd injured. Add in an overwhelmed centre midfield. Disaster.
    He did leave it in a mess, but Malky more or less had a clean slate. Didn't have seasons of moving players in and out, must make it easier to stamp your name on a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just to clear this up, he didn't get more points every season for 6 consecutive seasons - our points tally for his 6 seasons was 60, 64 (GD +4), 64 (GD +4), 74, 76, 80. However, I think that's a moot point. We could say we didn't go backwards during his time, except possibly for the whole of 2007, when we were pretty poor for most of it.

Jimmy Scoular had 5 successive seasons where his side got more points each season (between 1966/67 and 1970/71).

Anyway, in another reply you suggest that, at our best in Jones' last season, we were better than either of the sides that won promotion. I couldn't agree more. When we did play well, we were a very good side. I'd even say that was true of the sides from each season after the FA cup final. When we played well, we played exciting football and would have easily survived in the Premier League. I think Jones and Ridsdale were a good combination in terms of recruting players; pay little up front and spend big on wages. I think we had a general plan of how to play - players that left were often replaced with similar. The club signed some duds but also brought in some very good players for little money. By comparison, our recent transfer activities have been atrocious! While Jones deserves some credit, I also think it's important to consider Ridsdale - a football man who knows the game very well, who was our chairman. We certainly can't say the same about our current chair or the board!!

I think the fact that most City fans would agree that the sides we had under Jones were good enough to have stayed in the Premier League is actually a damning indictment on Jones as a manager - we were good enough to be there but we never got there. We failed at every final hurdle. There was never an advantage that we couldn't throw away. There was always a run of abysmal performances and form waiting to strike when we looked invincible. There were usually struggles against sides down the bottom of the table, yet we could play the best sides in the division off the park. TOBW called us flat track bullies and he was right. When it got difficult, we wilted. It got to the point where we knew we were good enough to walk the division, yet the same failings cropped up time and again.

Two away games, for me, sum up Jones' tenure with us. Bristol City 0-6 Cardiff City. We declared early in the second half. It could have been 10. Peterborough 4-4 Cardiff City. 4-0 up, cruising, looking like nothing could stop us, then we got complacent and threw away what looked like an unassailable lead. Bit like missing out on the playoffs in 2009.
    Another saying which typified the Jones years was "feast or famine". Time was I used to say that I didn't care less about the style as long as City won, but I think it's a combination of Dave Jones sides in a "feast" phase and the long ball crap we've had to put up with under Slade, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy that changed my mind on that score.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    He did leave it in a mess, but Malky more or less had a clean slate. Didn't have seasons of moving players in and out, must make it easier to stamp your name on a team.
    Lets hope similar happens next summer.

Back to the OP yes Steve one R needs to be given the job I can't see how anyone can really suggest otherwise whilst we stay on our current direction of cutting costs, running down expensive contracts and bringing on our wonderful youngsters , surely Steve M is best placed to know thier strengths and weaknesses???

Bringing in someone else will simply put back the promise we can see in our youngsters as new managers always revert to old colleagues to prop up thier tactics and we cannot afford repeating that backward process.

One step back may reap future benefits, even if this year is a struggle.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

If Morrison is given the job until the end of the season he needs a good DoF to do the donkey work for the January window and to provide the understanding about and access to loanees which he may not have yet

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Back to the OP yes Steve one R needs to be given the job I can't see how anyone can really suggest otherwise whilst we stay on our current direction of cutting costs, running down expensive contracts and bringing on our wonderful youngsters , surely Steve M is best placed to know thier strengths and weaknesses???

Bringing in someone else will simply put back the promise we can see in our youngsters as new managers always revert to old colleagues to prop up thier tactics and we cannot afford repeating that backward process.

One step back may reap future benefits, even if this year is a struggle.
    I think this year AND next year are going to be tough - BUT...if we can get through those and potentially even move the club forwards then we could be in a good place the season after. A lot will depend on whether we manage to avoid FFP censure *next* season

Latest Skybet odds:

5/4 - Steve Morison
    7/4 - Michael Flynn
    6/1 - Neil Warnock
    7/1 - Michael Beale
    16/1 - Jody Morris
    18/1 - Craig Bellamy
    20/1 - Neil Lennon
    20/1 - Robert Page
    22/1 - Sam Allardyce
    25/1 - Alex Neil
    25/1 - Neil Harris
    25/1 - Steve Bruce

Changed again.

Beale 3rd fav now 4/1

https://m.skybet.com/football/manage...event/28470391

Changed again.

Beale 3rd fav now 4/1

https://m.skybet.com/football/manage...event/28470391
    Wonder if that’s to do with Gerrard potentially going to Villa. May seem a good time for Beale to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Wonder if that’s to do with Gerrard potentially going to Villa. May seem a good time for Beale to move on.
    on the other hand he might fancy a crack at the Rangers job as a caretaker initially, or being an assistant at Villa is a step up for him too

Lets hope similar happens next summer.
    Absolutely