Thread: Classic headed goal today

Classic headed goal today

Get to the by line

Pull the ball back to the incoming striker and away from the defenders

Bang

Have it

It's not complicated

Re: Classic headed goal today

Some people never liked us scoring from headers. It wasn’t the right way.

Ive recorded it on my phone to show my girls team how its done, I'll save it aswell for future use as we are not quite at that standard yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I love old skool

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive recorded it on my phone to show my girls team how its done, I'll save it aswell for future use as we are not quite at that standard yet
    CCFC or your daughters team ?

Watching the game I was thinking how nice it was to see a left footer playing wide on the left. Giles was always looking to beat his man on the outside, which always seems more exciting to me rather than wingers playing on the wrong flank and having to cut inside all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Watching the game I was thinking how nice it was to see a left footer playing wide on the left. Giles was always looking to beat his man on the outside, which always seems more exciting to me rather than wingers playing on the wrong flank and having to cut inside all the time.
    Get a decent ball pulled back like that and the defenders always struggle

Easy football

Beautiful Brian Clark type of header.

All the neck muscles strained

Quality

It really was

I don’t like it that, for much of the season, it almost looked like we couldn’t score anything else but headers.

i don't like us scoring at all tbh...it feels unnatural

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    You should like Isaak Davies then, he doesn't seem to have a wrong flank. He beat his man on the outside which led to the corner for the first goal, then did the same up the opposite side to set up the winner. Brilliant bit of play. The defender must have seen him burst up the right earlier and thought he's going to cut in now he's on the left but Davies made a mug of him and put over a perfect cross to round it off.

Me and TOBW have seen him pull off a similar move to set up a winner at Academy level (with a right footed cross) and I said at the time that I'm not sure how a defender is meant to deal with a two-footed player in that situation, you don't know where he's going or even where it's best to show him. Great to see him do it at Championship level. Great header from Moore too, as Sludge says.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    You should like Isaak Davies then, he doesn't seem to have a wrong flank. He beat his man on the outside which led to the corner for the first goal, then did the same up the opposite side to set up the winner. Brilliant bit of play. The defender must have seen him burst up the right earlier and thought he's going to cut in now he's on the left but Davies made a mug of him and put over a perfect cross to round it off.

Me and TOBW have seen him pull off a similar move to set up a winner at Academy level (with a right footed cross) and I said at the time that I'm not sure how a defender is meant to deal with a two-footed player in that situation, you don't know where he's going or even where it's best to show him. Great to see him do it at Championship level. Great header from Moore too, as Sludge says.
    Keepers rarely save those type of headers

Apart from Gordan Banks

Thought Davies showed great composure to look up and put the ball into Moore, he could have just crossed it into an area.

Here’s a question though, do you think he’ll get used as an impact player coming on as sub for the short term? Exploiting tired defenders who have been shifted about by the work load Mark Harris was doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Thought Davies showed great composure to look up and put the ball into Moore, he could have just crossed it into an area.

Here’s a question though, do you think he’ll get used as an impact player coming on as sub for the short term? Exploiting tired defenders who have been shifted about by the work load Mark Harris was doing?
    Good question as coming on seems to be Harris's strength too.

I'd use the same tactic again for now and start Harris, Davies on that showing should will get his chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

That's a good question, and an interesting point about Harris. Overall there was more intensity about us yesterday, everyone put a shift in, we kept the ball a bit more than usual (56% possession apparently) and they had to use two subs up in the first half so tiredness may have contributed to the winner but, at the same time, I wouldn't say we've stumbled across a winning formula there. I hoped we'd push on after the first but I never felt we'd worn them down and a winner was inevitable, far from it.

The problem we've got with Davies is the one we'll have with most of the youngsters, how to play to their strengths when the experience we need to bring them through is provided by such limited players as Flint, Nelson, Morrison, Pack, Ralls and Vaulks. He was on for half an hour yesterday, we had plenty of possession yet only managed to play it to his feet twice in all that time. I'd like to think the fact that the two goals came from those moments will be a lesson learnt all round.

I guess he'll be used as an impact sub for now, yes, but I hope he can develop into more than that. He's pacy with an eye for goal, can play anywhere along the front line, effective running from deeper too. He'd give us something different if he can fulfil his potential here.

That’s not what a whole didn’t like. What people didn’t like it we couldn’t score any other way other than set pieces which was always going to limit us at some point.

If he’s 2- footed that’s a massive plus. Not many genuine 2 footed players around. Well impressed with him yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    If he’s 2- footed that’s a massive plus. Not many genuine 2 footed players around. Well impressed with him yesterday
    I thought they were all two-footed, otherwise they'd fall over. I'll have a closer look at the next game, maybe I'm missing something. If you're right, the club's budget for procuring boots and trainers is half as much as I thought it was. Sorry, I'll get my coat.....

Me and TOBW have seen pull off a similar move to set up a winner at Academy level (with a right footed cross) and I said at the time that I'm not sure how a defender is meant to deal with a two-footed player in that situation, you don't know where he's going or even where it's best to show him. Great to see him do it at Championship level. Great header from Moore too, as Sludge says.
    An advantage Isaak and all of the youngsters who’ve come into the first team this season have is that they’re unknown at this level, opponents will not be aware of how to stop them playing to their strengths. It doesn’t mean he’s going to become a first team regular or anything, but Isaak has physical advantages which should stand him in good stead.

First, he’s stronger than he looks - playing as a lone striker in age group football has helped in that respect. Second, opponents can do as much pre game planning as they like, but it’s very hard to combat pace and he has it. If I had to choose.one word to sum up Isaak’s contribution to Saturday’s winning goal, it would be dynamism - that is a quality that City have been short of for ages, Ryan Giles, for all of his qualities, doesn’t have it.

Third, you’re right about his two footedness. I first became aware of him around about 2015 when I saw him score a superb hat trick for our under sixteens in a 6-1 win over Palace (I know I wrote about it on the blog, but do you think I can find it!) so, we’re talking five or six years ago and I still don’t know if he’s naturally left or right footed!

Another thing, I agree about the probability that, just as they did with the likes of Tomlin and Wilson, our established first teamers will struggle to get the best out of Davies and other younger players because they won’t be able to get them on the ball enough, but the exciting thing is that I’d back Bowen, Patten and King to do so with Davies if they can establish themselves because they’ve been doing that for the best part of ten years already! I’m definitely encouraged by what I’ve seen of Bowen in the first team so far, I just want to see Patten get a chance and/or King be given more of a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    An advantage Isaak and all of the youngsters who’ve come into the first team this season have is that they’re unknown at this level, opponents will not be aware of how to stop them playing to their strengths. It doesn’t mean he’s going to become a first team regular or anything, but Isaak has physical advantages which should stand him in good stead.

First, he’s stronger than he looks - playing as a lone striker in age group football has helped in that respect. Second, opponents can do as much pre game planning as they like, but it’s very hard to combat pace and he has it. If I had to choose.one word to sum up Isaak’s contribution to Saturday’s winning goal, it would be dynamism - that is a quality that City have been short of for ages, Ryan Giles, for all of his qualities, doesn’t have it.

Third, you’re right about his two footedness. I first became aware of him around about 2015 when I saw him score a superb hat trick for our under sixteens in a 6-1 win over Palace (I know I wrote about it on the blog, but do you think I can find it!) so, we’re talking five or six years ago and I still don’t know if he’s naturally left or right footed!

Another thing, I agree about the probability that, just as they did with the likes of Tomlin and Wilson, our established first teamers will struggle to get the best out of Davies and other younger players because they won’t be able to get them on the ball enough, but the exciting thing is that I’d back Bowen, Patten and King to do so with Davies if they can establish themselves because they’ve been doing that for the best part of ten years already! I’m definitely encouraged by what I’ve seen of Bowen in the first team so far, I just want to see Patten get a chance and/or King be given more of a chance.
    He's definitely an exciting player, the composure was most impressive. How many times do you see a young player beat their man only to mess up the cross? For him not only to beat his man (the immensely experienced Pearson) but to also put in a perfect cross was almost unbelievable. Danny Gabbidon has been banging on about Davies for some time (I think he may be his agent) and you can see why.

This is off topic but I'm wondering what's happened to Mayembe? He seemed to be on the cusp of the first team under Neil Harris and was getting some rave reviews but now the youngsters are coming through and he's nowhere to be seen

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He's definitely an exciting player, the composure was most impressive. How many times do you see a young player beat their man only to mess up the cross? For him not only to beat his man (the immensely experienced Pearson) but to also put in a perfect cross was almost unbelievable. Danny Gabbidon has been banging on about Davies for some time (I think he may be his agent) and you can see why.

This is off topic but I'm wondering what's happened to Mayembe? He seemed to be on the cusp of the first team under Neil Harris and was getting some rave reviews but now the youngsters are coming through and he's nowhere to be seen
    Gabbs is his agent, as he is for a lot of our youngsters. On EJFOF, the one thing he said about Mick was, is that he was the one that gave these young lads a chance. He also said it certainly wasn’t the one trying to take all of the credit (I assume he means Morison). He’ll know, as he looks after these players, and he said Mick spotted them and played them; and a few were going to get released (Colwill being one).

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Beautiful Brian Clark type of header.

All the neck muscles strained

Quality
    Reminded me of Nigel Rees' cross to Clark in the Real game.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Mayembe's not played much these past two seasons and he's been missing from the Academy team for quite a few weeks now (he was captaining them for a while), there was talk of an injury last season, but I also read something that came over as if there may have been some sort of off field problem as well, although that may be rubbish which I probably shouldn't be repeating - something's up with him though because his career has just stalled completely recently.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

And therein lies the problem - similarly I'd add, with Watters. We don't have those 3/4 quality players in the team who can find these players with decent passes, movement off the ball etc.