+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Listened to a guy on the RW phone on saying that he wanted Flynn as manager. Astonishing.

Re: Listened to a guy on the RW phone on saying that he wanted Flynn as manager. Astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d be okay with Duff, Bonner’s done a very good job at Cambridge, Evatt is a manager whose career is on the up and Bolton are a club that have had to shed the delusions of grandeur that some of our fans have based on the attitude shown towards Flynn by them. I wouldn’t want Adams, but that’s because I don’t like him - he does have an impressive CV though.

It’s a bit insulting to assume nobody from this area would know anything about Flynn if he hadn’t been managing the club a few miles down the road. What Flynn did to keep County in the Football League in 16/17 was extraordinary and made him a contender for manager of the season that year in my view. Since then, Newport’s cup record has been second to none in the lower divisions and Flynn has steered Newport into league finishes that historically you dont tend to see from sides from that city.

I’ve got a short list of possible contenders for the City manager’s job who I definitely wouldn’t want here, Flynn isn’t on it.
    Watching Arsenal v Watford on Sky this pm and seeing Ben White playing for The Gunners. He played 42 matches under Flynn on loan at Newport County.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 07-11-21 at 14:21. Reason: Spelling

Re: Listened to a guy on the RW phone on saying that he wanted Flynn as manager. Astonishing.

I would welcome Flynn, think he would do a good job for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Can anyone put forward a sensible case why it should be him?
    I guess you don't advocate the appointment of Morison then if that's your criteria.

BTW, Dembe's comment wasn't THAT spunkworthy. Predictable.

Here's to hoping it is Flynn, and that he takes us up to the PL. I will retire from the board if that happens. No gloating . nothing.

what type of football does he play?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Brings on 41 year old wingers to try and win a play off final.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I'd better get a new pair of boots then

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The same 41 year old got them to the play off final with his goal in the semi final.

Re the original post, Flynn has done extremely well on a small budget at Newport where his playing staff changed year on year due to that.

He’s far from my first choice but he’s not deserving of this condemnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I guess you don't advocate the appointment of Morison then if that's your criteria.

BTW, Dembe's comment wasn't THAT spunkworthy. Predictable.

Here's to hoping it is Flynn, and that he takes us up to the PL. I will retire from the board if that happens. No gloating . nothing.
    Just let your hair down and laugh now and again Mr. Serious

Played long ball stuff that was worse as bad, if not worse, than anything seen at City for some of his time at Newport, but he did have the excuse of a truly awful pitch by modern standards to contend with. Last season Newport were regarded as passing side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The same 41 year old got them to the play off final with his goal in the semi final.

Re the original post, Flynn has done extremely well on a small budget at Newport where his playing staff changed year on year due to that.

He’s far from my first choice but he’s not deserving of this condemnation.
    He could take Wales to the world Cup final, I just don't want that type of football anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's his divine wright to have that opinion
    You mean as in Rick Wright right!!

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    You mean as in Rick Wright right!!
    Right

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Just let your hair down and laugh now and again Mr. Serious

TOBW makes a great point about the pitch at Rodney Parade. It's owned by the WRU and shared with the rugby club. I mentioned Ben White in an earlier post and when he was playing, they did play long ball as his passing was very accurate. That season they used wing-backs too though played mainly down the left as David Pipe's legs had gone and he couldn't cross but was a seasoned defender.

He's worked hard on set pieces and I've seen them score from some very innovative free kicks and corners. They also have very little money (I think the fans had funded a new deal for Labardie last season?).

When they played Spurs they used gegenpress and were 1-0 up until Harry Kane nicked one on the far post unmarked in the final minutes to force a replay at Wembley.

When they played Leeds, they matched them physically and clearly had a game plan which rattled them and they won. So he can mix it up depending on the opposition and conditions. I kinda like that. It's not something we've seen much of at CCFC in recent seasons.

Anyway. I'm not championing any cause, I just think the discussion about him should be balanced and unemotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    TOBW makes a great point about the pitch at Rodney Parade. It's owned by the WRU and shared with the rugby club. I mentioned Ben White in an earlier post and when he was playing, they did play long ball as his passing was very accurate. That season they used wing-backs too though played mainly down the left as David Pipe's legs had gone and he couldn't cross but was a seasoned defender.

He's worked hard on set pieces and I've seen them score from some very innovative free kicks and corners. They also have very little money (I think the fans had funded a new deal for Labardie last season?).

When they played Spurs they used gegenpress and were 1-0 up until Harry Kane nicked one on the far post unmarked in the final minutes to force a replay at Wembley.

When they played Leeds, they matched them physically and clearly had a game plan which rattled them and they won. So he can mix it up depending on the opposition and conditions. I kinda like that. It's not something we've seen much of at CCFC in recent seasons.

Anyway. I'm not championing any cause, I just think the discussion about him should be balanced and unemotional.
    Agreed, as I say he's not my first choice, but I think he did a good enough job at Newport not to be dismissed out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Can anyone put forward a sensible case why it should be him?

Imagine Flynn had the same track record but at Harrogate or Rochdale. Can you see Dalman and Choo urgently heading north...'that's the man we want!!!' No chance, they wouldn't even know who he was.
    The only way he'll get the job would be.. he's cheap and we won't have to pay any moving costs, on that basis he's a shoe-in.
    But you'd better hurry Mehmet, he's fighting off clubs with a stick at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post