+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Enhancement of Wi-Fi Speed

Enhancement of Wi-Fi Speed

I turned my wi-fi on following a long period of inactivity to find that i was struggling to get 6mbps, on my superfast broadband. I am using the router (talk talk) that I have been for 4 years. Is it worth me buying a good router to improve the speed and connectivity?

Anyone ?

Re: Enhancement of Wi-Fi Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I turned my wi-fi on following a long period of inactivity to find that i was struggling to get 6mbps, on my superfast broadband. I am using the router (talk talk) that I have been for 4 years. Is it worth me buying a good router to improve the speed and connectivity?

Anyone ?
    Hi, I don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid but I've got a similar problem so hoping someone on here can help. I've just changed to my third Broadband supplier in succession and I'm finding their actual speeds fall far short of their sales promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Hi, I don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid but I've got a similar problem so hoping someone on here can help. I've just changed to my third Broadband supplier in succession and I'm finding their actual speeds fall far short of their sales promises.
    There should be a minimum connectivity speed in the small print of your contract. If your BB supplier is not connecting your router at that speed, get in touch with them ASAP.

Anyone ?
    Talk Talk provide the routers. Don't buy one. Get in touch and see if there is a more recent router they can send you.....and keep your router on whenever possible even if you don't use it. It's the software running in the background that largely determines the speed coming into the router. And your master socket might need updating.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    There should be a minimum connectivity speed in the small print of your contract. If your BB supplier is not connecting your router at that speed, get in touch with them ASAP.
    What's BB?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    What's BB?
    broadband

Anyone ?
    A new Router will of course have the latest firmware, so that will be better, but that will be TalkTalk suppling, so give them a call and explain you haven't had a new router for 4 years and your speeds are poor and connection dropping out

Most BB needs to " learn " the fastest speeds, it will keep on pushing the speed till it isn't stable and then sit back a little ( at the stable speed )

the answer to that is stream a few hours of stuff each day, over a few days you should see a improvement

If you're checking the speed Vs the speed given to you in the small print make sure you're hardwired into the router and not using WiFi. The speed you get when using WiFi is affected by a number of factors and they'll only listen to the speed issue if you're hard wired.
    If you want genuinely super quick broadband the best option is virgin media (if you can get it) or look into something like gigaclear if you live in the sticks.