+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Safe Standing Areas

Safe Standing Areas

Looks like we're going to be one of the first to introduce under the new rules in January. Got to be honest, I thought we'd already put something in place with the fences in the last few rows of the Canton. If not what are these!?!

Re: Safe Standing Areas

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    Looks like we're going to be one of the first to introduce under the new rules in January. Got to be honest, I thought we'd already put something in place with the fences in the last few rows of the Canton. If not what are these!?!
    Yes, the fences are already in place at the back of the Canton (and in the away end). I have one safety concern...if anyone stands on the seats and goes over backwards during goal celebrations and catches their neck on the barriers. At least, as it stands, if anyone goes over backwards they generally land on someone else. Question is, which is safer?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Yes, the fences are already in place at the back of the Canton (and in the away end). I have one safety concern...if anyone stands on the seats and goes over backwards during goal celebrations and catches their neck on the barriers. At least, as it stands, if anyone goes over backwards they generally land on someone else. Question is, which is safer?
    I've yet to take in a game at the CCS. Don't they have the seats that automatically flip back when you stand up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I've yet to take in a game at the CCS. Don't they have the seats that automatically flip back when you stand up?
    No. Just barriers at the moment added at the back of existing seating. This is not safe standing as advertised previously. That may happen. We currently have the cheap version. Cost of conversion would be rather expensive. Out of interest, I did look on Saturday to see what the view is like when seated. Unless you are short in stature, you can see over....during the half time interlude when seats are in use.

Backward step in my opinion

No. Just barriers at the moment added at the back of existing seating. This is not safe standing as advertised previously. That may happen. We currently have the cheap version. Cost of conversion would be rather expensive. Out of interest, I did look on Saturday to see what the view is like when seated. Unless you are short in stature, you can see over....during the half time interlude when seats are in use.
    20211104_181324.jpg.258b664217523b7063a6e3eacb0217c8.jpg

To me, those certainly look like seats that flip up when you stand up. The point I was trying to make was, you said you were worried about someone standing on the seats during a goal celebration. How could they do that, unless they were already standing on the seats as the goal was scored, although I find that unlikely?

In over 10 years at the CCS I’ve not seen someone stand on a seat and fall backwards into other fans. At Cardiff or Wales games.
    I have seen people falling forward over the shin high seats in front of them and in turn pushing the next few fans in front of them forwards and over the next set of seats.

Maybe the risk of serious injury is higher with someone falling backwards on to a rail but the risk of it actually happening is much lower than a group of fans falling forwards into other fans and on to seats and concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    20211104_181324.jpg.258b664217523b7063a6e3eacb0217c8.jpg

To me, those certainly look like seats that flip up when you stand up. The point I was trying to make was, you said you were worried about someone standing on the seats during a goal celebration. How could they do that, unless they were already standing on the seats as the goal was scored, although I find that unlikely?
    When I was a bit more agile a few years ago, I had a tendancy to celebrate goals by standing on seats. I wasn't the only one. And not just climbing onto seats. Anything to get a better view.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    In over 10 years at the CCS I’ve not seen someone stand on a seat and fall backwards into other fans. At Cardiff or Wales games.
    I have seen people falling forward over the shin high seats in front of them and in turn pushing the next few fans in front of them forwards and over the next set of seats.

Maybe the risk of serious injury is higher with someone falling backwards on to a rail but the risk of it actually happening is much lower than a group of fans falling forwards into other fans and on to seats and concrete.
    Rail seating (see link below)was the initial idea behind safe standing where seats sit flush with the rails. Old seating taken out and fully replaced. As far as I can tell, our safe standing involves retro fitting rails into the existing seating. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Suffice to say, the lads in front of me when KM's first goal went in, ended up going backwards over the existing seating and needed a hand up (no rails in that part of the Canton). Question is, under those circumstances, would safe standing railed seating be better (H and S wise) than retro fitting rails?

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Safe_standing

Got to give the board credit for taking forward what a lot of fans have been wanting for a long time.

We've had standing in the Canton End since we moved from Ninian Park. Okay, it might not be 'safe standing', but what's the difference? Have we been illegal all this time?

This all throughout the Canton? Can’t quite tell from that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Back half dozen rows or so at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    That pic is of one of the blocks in the away end. I believe the Canton is the back 5 rows of the middle 5 blocks currently, with plans to increase that after a successful trial run.