+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor people don't go to football matches

Poor people don't go to football matches

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...s-covid-claims

According to Welsh Labour politician Jenny Rathbone.

Re: Poor people don't go to football matches

Maybe she thinks all football clubs charge what the top Premiership teams charge to get in.

She really is quite a dreadful politician

The Spectator is very right leaning. It's a bit of a non story really, the bit about dogs and bats is a bit mental, but i'd agree that poor people don't attend expensive sporting events.

I doubt that they do. What are we saying ‘poor’ is?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Maybe she thinks all football clubs charge what the top Premiership teams charge to get in.
    How much would it cost to take a couple of kids to the football, with 1 adult?

They say the average age of football fans is rising all the time, and there are a couple of reasons for that. One - youngsters seem to have so much more to do with their time, and Two - the cost. You only have to look around the Ninian Stand where I sit - it's full of older people, over 40s and such. Sure, there are some younger people, but not as many as you'd think.
    Or are they all in the Canton Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Spectator is very right leaning. It's a bit of a non story really, the bit about dogs and bats is a bit mental, but i'd agree that poor people don't attend expensive sporting events.
    I agree it's a bit of a non-story but if I was her advisor or someone I'd have my head in my hands when she said that. What she said and the way it was said isn't a very good look for a Labour politician. It also opens up a lot of avoidable questions: If that's true why don't they go to those events? Why haven't your party done anything about that in the 20 years you've been in power at the Senedd? Why aren't you working with clubs to make them affordable, don't poor people deserve to watch sport? etc. Worst of all it leads to complaints on the prestigious political insight website CCMB!

But you are right, it's a non-story in a right wing newspaper looking to take shots. To be honest I'm surprised Rathbone is still an MS, she's got to be in her 70s by now

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I agree it's a bit of a non-story but if I was her advisor or someone I'd have my head in my hands when she said that. What she said and the way it was said isn't a very good look for a Labour politician. It also opens up a lot of avoidable questions: If that's true why don't they go to those events? Why haven't your party done anything about that in the 20 years you've been in power at the Senedd? Why aren't you working with clubs to make them affordable, don't poor people deserve to watch sport? etc. Worst of all it leads to complaints on the prestigious political insight website CCMB!

But you are right, it's a non-story in a right wing newspaper looking to take shots. To be honest I'm surprised Rathbone is still an MS, she's got to be in her 70s by now
    All fair points.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How much would it cost to take a couple of kids to the football, with 1 adult?
    Took a few of my nieces nephews etc with my daughter pre season a few years ago was only a fiver but by the time we got the train down and fed and watered the kids it started to tally up, not something I'd do weekly even at a fiver.

It’s incredibly cheap to watch CCFC & FAW and my season ticket is such value it’s an absolute no brainier. Regardless of what being served up on the pitch but you take the rough with the smooth as a supporter.

She should direct that towards the WRU.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Took a few of my nieces nephews etc with my daughter pre season a few years ago was only a fiver but by the time we got the train down and fed and watered the kids it started to tally up, not something I'd do weekly even at a fiver.

I think what she said may be conscious bias …. The football is affordable as is the cinema isn’t it ?

People on Universal Credit etc are not going to be spending 20 plus quid to go and watch Cardiff City

A few times a season maybe

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I think what she said may be conscious bias …. The football is affordable as is the cinema isn’t it ?
    If you are on a low income or on state benefits I don't think any live entertainment apart from the TV is affordable , if its on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...s-covid-claims

According to Welsh Labour politician Jenny Rathbone.
    Well I know lots of folk who do Jenny know it all .

Is she one of them metropolitan Labour people they can become detached from reality as much as the Tories

Very true , even with offers a day out down the football is not cheap

Cardiff City are more reasonable than most mind , the prices some clubs charge in economically similar areas to South Wales is staggering

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If you are on a low income or on state benefits I don't think any live entertainment apart from the TV is affordable , if its on a regular basis

Perhaps ,however ,I know plenty of people on Legacy benefits that look forward to the football and love the cinema, I think a monthly cinema pass is £9.99 and two for one on a Wednesday

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/unlimited

Perhaps ,however ,I know plenty of people on Legacy benefits that look forward to the football and love the cinema, I think a monthly cinema pass is £9.99 and two for one on a Wednesday

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/unlimited
    Let's say it's 25 quid to watch City

If you are a father with a young child and a wife and you are on welfare benefits you are not likely to be watching Cardiff every other Saturday or midweek

I agree , Not everyone can afford a season ticket , or go to every game , but she didn’t say that.

I agree , Not everyone can afford a season ticket , but she didn’t say that.
    On the whole , they don't

People struggling on benefits , by definition poor , don't attend football matches or any sort of live entertainment on a regular basis

Unless they go into debt or are very good at budgeting

Not a fan of Jenny Rathbone.

Pretty sanctimonious. Classic case of the middle class guardian wing of Labour IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People on Universal Credit etc are not going to be spending 20 plus quid to go and watch Cardiff City

A few times a season maybe
    I know someone that watches United and doesn't work...season ticket holder has been for years.

Few and far between granted

They do as I know people on legacy benefits who go to the cinema and watch live football ⚽️ as I’ve stated previously.

When I was 16/17 I was on YTS which was £28.50 per week and lived in a flat and I managed home and away games , but you do make sacrifices in other areas.

I know someone that watches United and doesn't work...season ticket holder has been for years.

Few and far between granted
    Well he must have other income as you simply couldn't spend a grand out of your benefits on a football season ticket without going into debt or not paying the bills

They do as I know people on legacy benefits who go to the cinema and watch live football ⚽️ as I’ve stated previously.

When I was 16/17 I was on YTS which was £28.50 per week and lived in a flat and I managed home and away games , but you do make sacrifices in other areas.
    You were on 28 quid and you were following cardiff home and away ?

Home ticket Saturday, following Saturday away ticket , transport , food ?

You must have had other income surely ? Or were borrowing ?