+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor people don't go to football matches

Re: Poor people don't go to football matches

I had the rent paid, and used go in a car or on a family railcard to away games. The season ticket was probably affordable via a birthday gift but if I didn’t have a season ticket , I used to go to about ten home games , I had sandwiches in the week most days , and used to drink about two pints.

Rathbone was referencing low income families…. which suggests they may not have been entitled to Legacy benefits and may well have a minimum wage job.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well he must have other income as you simply couldn't spend a grand out of your benefits on a football season ticket without going into debt or not paying the bills
    Yes you know it best. I'm wrong, you're right on something you know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They say the average age of football fans is rising all the time, and there are a couple of reasons for that. One - youngsters seem to have so much more to do with their time, and Two - the cost. You only have to look around the Ninian Stand where I sit - it's full of older people, over 40s and such. Sure, there are some younger people, but not as many as you'd think.
    Or are they all in the Canton Stand?
    I also think it's fair to say that the ethnic diversity of the population in Cardiff is not reflected proportionately in the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yes you know it best. I'm wrong, you're right on something you know nothing about.
    I am just saying that if you have a mate who can afford a season ticket of a 1000 quid and go up to Manchester every other weekend then either he's on a big wadge of welfare benefits or he's heavily in debt

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I also think it's fair to say that the ethnic diversity of the population in Cardiff is not reflected proportionately in the crowds.
    You can say that again

Hardly ever see people from the ethnic minorities watching Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I had the rent paid, and used go in a car or on a family railcard to away games. The season ticket was probably affordable via a birthday gift but if I didn’t have a season ticket , I used to go to about ten home games , I had sandwiches in the week most days , and used to drink about two pints.

Rathbone was referencing low income families…. which suggests they may not have been entitled to Legacy benefits and may well have a minimum wage job.
    All I can say is well done ! 👏

Although it's slightly off topic, I do think my season ticket is tremendous value for money. I go with my mates not family which obvs makes a big difference cost wise but 30 quid a month really can't be knocked for 23 games a season.

The only obvious caveat is that you can't guarantee the entertainment....

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Although it's slightly off topic, I do think my season ticket is tremendous value for money. I go with my mates not family which obvs makes a big difference cost wise but 30 quid a month really can't be knocked for 23 games a season.

The only obvious caveat is that you can't guarantee the entertainment....
    No doubt about it

What a non story. I’ve not read much of the Spectator, but judged it on its reputation and thought it would be better than tittle tattle like that. Alright, her comment on dogs is daft. However, when it comes to the football comments, the writer quotes her as saying “the lowest incomes” and I would say that, broadly speaking, she’s right there. Imagine what a hole in your weekly budget just going to the QPR and Huddersfield matches would have made in your weekly budget if you were on the minimum wage? Something else would have had to go if you just bought tickets for each game before even getting around to all of the other expenses going to football can entail.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What a non story. I’ve not read much of the Spectator, but judged it on its reputation and thought it would be better than tittle tattle like that. Alright, her comment on dogs is daft. However, when it comes to the football comments, the writer quotes her as saying “the lowest incomes” and I would say that, broadly speaking, she’s right there. Imagine what a hole in your weekly budget just going to the QPR and Huddersfield matches would have made in your weekly budget if you were on the minimum wage? Something else would have had to go if you just bought tickets for each game before even getting around to all of the other expenses going to football can entail.
    She is as you say broadly speaking , correct

I am just saying that if you have a mate who can afford a season ticket of a 1000 quid and go up to Manchester every other weekend then either he's on a big wadge of welfare benefits or he's heavily in debt
    He is neither. You aren't always right, accept it and we'll move on.

She sounds very out of touch with a lot of what's in the article but is there a chance she could also be psychic?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/p...y-b965553.html

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    She sounds very out of touch with a lot of what's in the article but is there a chance she could also be psychic?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/p...y-b965553.html
    Stock photo of a sausage dog (is what the credit says - the standards of journalism have plummeted!) There'll be Dachshunds all over the country being hidden under floorboards after this.

He is neither. You aren't always right, accept it and we'll move on.
    So he's not working ?

If someone isn't working and they are not getting any income from benefits then he's clearly doing OK if he can afford to watch man United every other week

Is this a joke?

This mate of yours ? He's not getting any income from benefits ?

Has his granny left him money or does his dad pay for his season ticket ?

We are talking about people who are poor not your mates living off their parents or an inheritance

If he's spending a grand just for a season ticket and he's not working he's either not working but getting money from friends or he's on benefits

It's not a difficult question

If he's funding this sort of thing he's not poor , that's for sure , which was what the Welsh minister said .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How much would it cost to take a couple of kids to the football, with 1 adult?
    £31 for an adult and two kids in the family stand. Take food and drink in and park on a street nearby and it’s actually pretty decent compared to some clubs.

Same at the cinema would be £22.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    £31 for an adult and two kids in the family stand. Take food and drink in and park on a street nearby and it’s actually pretty decent compared to some clubs.

It's very good value if you have an income above benefits level but most poor people are , by definition on benefits so it's going to be an occasional treat

I know someone that watches United and doesn't work...season ticket holder has been for years.

Few and far between granted
    I don’t believe this for a second.

No way do you have a friend

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don’t believe this for a second.

No way do you have a friend
    Bit harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post

£12 for a family of four at Premiere cinema…..

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

It’s not the football that the poor can’t afford it’s the steadily rising cost of gange and assorted happy pills

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    It’s not the football that the poor can’t afford it’s the steadily rising cost of gange and assorted happy pills

Apparently Rathbone is on £85k per annum plus expenses and claimed £129.00 for a vacuum cleaner in 2009

https://twitter.com/statsjamie/statu...891383808?s=21

Back in the early 80’s You used to be able to get into the Bob Bank for a £1 if you showed your Dole card (UB40) at the turnstile. This allowed me to regularly attend games when I was unemployed. I then lived in the Blackwood area and on match days we would have a soccer special bus that took us to the ground and which picked us up at the bus depot next to the ground at the end of the match. If I remember correctly that was only 50p.

I know someone that watches United and doesn't work...season ticket holder has been for years.

Few and far between granted
    To be fair Hereford are at a pretty low standard at the moment!!

So he's not working ?

If someone isn't working and they are not getting any income from benefits then he's clearly doing OK if he can afford to watch man United every other week

Is this a joke?

This mate of yours ? He's not getting any income from benefits ?

Has his granny left him money or does his dad pay for his season ticket ?

We are talking about people who are poor not your mates living off their parents or an inheritance

If he's spending a grand just for a season ticket and he's not working he's either not working but getting money from friends or he's on benefits

It's not a difficult question

If he's funding this sort of thing he's not poor , that's for sure , which was what the Welsh minister said .
    My post, I thought, said he's on benefits, if I've made a mistake and messed up the post then I'll correct it here and say he gets benefits. I am not arguing with you about something I know to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    To be fair Hereford are at a pretty low standard at the moment!!