+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Away shirt on boxing Day

Away shirt on boxing Day

The Premier League are blocking it, clueless, out of touch fools.

Great to see Cardiff being one of the two clubs already backing it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59234391

Re: Away shirt on boxing Day

Every EFL club playing at home on Boxing Day should wear their away kit and put the greedy league to shame.

Mind blowing stance by PL.

Such an odd thing to oppose. Teams already play in away and third kits when there’s no clashes so why they’re against this is baffling.

Yhank God our away kit isn't red.
    It will be 2013 all over again

It’s probably because the Chinese Man Utd fans wouldn’t know who to support if they weren’t in red at old trafford

Ah I dunno. I get it 'home kit' 'homeless'. I just don't know what it achieves.

We are all well aware of the housing crisis. Anyone who goes in town will see it before their eyes. The causes and solutions are really pretty complex.

I just find there's an element of 'issue washing' about it. Football clubs trying to make out like they are solving things when they aren't at all.

No harm causes I guess, and maybe it will raise awareness, I just think it can cause more harm by making people think they have done something when they haven't.

They can clap the away kit on boxing Day then go home, look up the value of their house on Zoopla, maybe book an Airbnb in Bath for a weekend, etc etc.

I'm sceptical on stuff like this. Someone convince me!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Ah I dunno. I get it 'home kit' 'homeless'. I just don't know what it achieves.

We are all well aware of the housing crisis. Anyone who goes in town will see it before their eyes. The causes and solutions are really pretty complex.

I just find there's an element of 'issue washing' about it. Football clubs trying to make out like they are solving things when they aren't at all.

No harm causes I guess, and maybe it will raise awareness, I just think it can cause more harm by making people think they have done something when they haven't.

They can clap the away kit on boxing Day then go home, look up the value of their house on Zoopla, maybe book an Airbnb in Bath for a weekend, etc etc.

I'm sceptical on stuff like this. Someone convince me!
    If a handful of people donate a few quid to a homeless charity on the back of this that otherwise wouldn't have, surely it would have been worth it? Cost of doing it is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If a handful of people donate a few quid to a homeless charity on the back of this that otherwise wouldn't have, surely it would have been worth it? Cost of doing it is zero.
    True. So City should change their kit for every game for a charity?

I take your point, I would just rather something less gimicky tbh

Surely gimicky is the essential point here? Isn't that how awareness of things happens? Take Movember. I'd like to think that men take the health of their bollocks more seriously as a result of years of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Surely gimicky is the essential point here? Isn't that how awareness of things happens? Take Movember. I'd like to think that men take the health of their bollocks more seriously as a result of years of that.
    I don't mind a gimick if it's tied up to something useful and which would help deliver proper change and address real issues around the topic.

I dunno, like I said I'm kinda sceptical.

I don't mind a gimick if it's tied up to something useful and which would help deliver proper change and address real issues around the topic.

Its getting people talking and thus if people are talking about it, they might just donate a few quid aswell

The PL opposing it and the possible media attention to that decision will probably bring more awareness than if everyone quietly got on with it.

No, you are right wing. You don’t want to help anyone and poo poo anything proposed to help the less fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    No, you are right wing. You don’t want to help anyone and poo poo anything proposed to help the less fortunate.
    Jesus Christ..

What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    What would you suggest?
    Off the top of my head, how about:

1 / City to welcome Big Issue sellers inside / around the ground on match days?
    2 / City to write a monthly column in Big Issue or provide a couple of pages in every programme for Big Issue sports writers?
    3 / City to work with Cardiff Council to fund spaces for homeless shelters (although capacity isn't the issue really)
    4 / City to fund research projects into the true causes of homelessness in Cardiff and South Wales.
    5 / City to work with Cardiff Council to provide an address for homeless people to apply for work if necessary
    6 / City to actively try to employ people without permanent accommodation on match days, in catering, programme sales, mentoring etc.
    7 / The club can state they will refuse any advertising from organisations like Air BnB.
    8 / City to provide free tickets to some homeless people for each game so they can feel a part of our club and society and not forever an outcast. When in a stadium, we can forget our problems for 90 minutes. This is a powerful thing.

I should add, none of this is City's job, but I just don't like virtue signalling.

And yes, I get the argument that even creating this thread does stimulate conversations like the above. What I am unconvinced by is the benefit of allowing people to absolve themselves of responsibility by supporting a gimmick and nothing more.

The club shouldn't just become a vehicle for loads of causes. I'd rather we throw ourselves strongly into less things but those that will make a real difference.

2 / City to write a monthly column in Big Issue or provide a couple of pages in every programme for Big Issue sports writers?
    3 / City to work with Cardiff Council to fund spaces for homeless shelters (although capacity isn't the issue really)
    4 / City to fund research projects into the true causes of homelessness in Cardiff and South Wales.
    5 / City to work with Cardiff Council to provide an address for homeless people to apply for work if necessary
    6 / City to actively try to employ people without permanent accommodation on match days, in catering, programme sales, mentoring etc.
    7 / The club can state they will refuse any advertising from organisations like Air BnB.
    8 / City to provide free tickets to some homeless people for each game so they can feel a part of our club and society and not forever an outcast. When in a stadium, we can forget our problems for 90 minutes. This is a powerful thing.

I should add, none of this is City's job, but I just don't like virtue signalling.

And yes, I get the argument that even creating this thread does stimulate conversations like the above. What I am unconvinced by is the benefit of allowing people to absolve themselves of responsibility by supporting a gimmick and nothing more.

The club shouldn't just become a vehicle for loads of causes. I'd rather we throw ourselves strongly into less things but those that will make a real difference.
    Really good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Really good post.
    agreed

It could be worth writing to the club with those ideas. Doubt they'd be willing to put any serious money in given the state of the finances right now, but some of your suggestions would require no financial input from the club.

In Cardiffs defence here, it's worth pointing out that Shelter approached the clubs for their support with this - the whole campaign is their idea. As valid as your points are, can you imagine how much worse it would be if they had said no?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    It could be worth writing to the club with those ideas. Doubt they'd be willing to put any serious money in given the state of the finances right now, but some of your suggestions would require no financial input from the club.

In Cardiffs defence here, it's worth pointing out that Shelter approached the clubs for their support with this - the whole campaign is their idea. As valid as your points are, can you imagine how much worse it would be if they had said no?
    It's a very fair point, especially regarding Shelter approaching the clubs.

I'm definitely not critical of the club as such, I think it's just the way corporations increasingly do this kind of thing and kind of wash their hands of it all and meaningful change never happens.

And it's not sports clubs role to enact meaningful societal change either, but I also don't think you get to touch on these subjects and then move on. Take them seriously, and with some simple changes some good can be done.

Yeah, I may put this in an email to the club actually. A lot of it is very doable, and so much of homelessness is tied to mental health problems, that football can help with, in providing something everyone should be able to unite in support of. Sometimes, even just inviting people along to sit as equals amongst us does more good than people may realise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Mind blowing stance by PL.
    I understand why they've blocked it but it's still callous.

We've had BLM, Kick it out and regularly have troop parades round the pitch, wearing a different kit isn't the end of the world but do tend to agree with JamesWales

It's a very fair point, especially regarding Shelter approaching the clubs.

I'm definitely not critical of the club as such, I think it's just the way corporations increasingly do this kind of thing and kind of wash their hands of it all and meaningful change never happens.

And it's not sports clubs role to enact meaningful societal change either, but I also don't think you get to touch on these subjects and then move on. Take them seriously, and with some simple changes some good can be done.

Yeah, I may put this in an email to the club actually. A lot of it is very doable, and so much of homelessness is tied to mental health problems, that football can help with, in providing something everyone should be able to unite in support of. Sometimes, even just inviting people along to sit as equals amongst us does more good than people may realise.
    You should so do this and include what you've written in this last paragraph. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post

Agreed. The club has responded to a request from Shelter to support this campaign and so far appears to be one of only a handful of clubs to have done so.

Of course it would be great if some of the other ideas in this thread were implemented. But I guess something similar could really be be advocated for any other worthwhile cause. And that this has always been the case and not just now because they've agreed to participate in this specific campaign.