+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby to be deducted more points

Derby to be deducted more points

Derby have apparently accepted a 9 point deduction with a further 3 suspended. That will seem them down

Derby to be deducted more points

Re: Derby to be deducted more points

Whose next I wonder 🤔

never want to see a club in this situation

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Derby have apparently accepted a 9 point deduction with a further 3 suspended. That will seem them down
    Excellent news.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    It's academic isn't it? They are down, who cares by how many.

Agree with the main point tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    It's academic isn't it? They are down, who cares by how many.

Agree with the main point tho.
    If we'd have kept MM they would have passed us even with a 20 point reduction imo

The EFL need to get their act together. Derby, Brum, Wigan, Reading, Sheff Wed. How many more? The Championship is now so tilted in favour of teams dropping down to the Championship that it is becoming uncompetitive. Teams trying to spend to match them and their parachute payments can no longer do that. It’s becoming the haves and have nots.

It’s been a case of have and have nots since the introduction of parachute payments and FFP

can anyone explain west ham atm...real question

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s been a case of have and have nots since the introduction of parachute payments and FFP
    I suppose it has but FFP has only really started to hit clubs in recent seasons.

The Premier League is responsible for this

Clubs gamble like mad to get there with all the monetary rewards

Either get there and not last long or fail to get there in the first place ending up with huge unsustainable debts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Never snows but it pours

Oh sorry, I meant rain of course

Freudian slip there

Obviously.

The EFL need to get their act together. Derby, Brum, Wigan, Reading, Sheff Wed. How many more? The Championship is now so tilted in favour of teams dropping down to the Championship that it is becoming uncompetitive. Teams trying to spend to match them and their parachute payments can no longer do that. It’s becoming the haves and have nots.
    I agree, though it already is. Meanwhile, what happened to all the hyperbole over the Super League PL clubs punishments? That's been brushed under the FA carpet and for FA read f*ck all.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I agree, though it already is. Meanwhile, what happened to all the hyperbole over the Super League PL clubs punishments? That's been brushed under the FA carpet and for FA read f*ck all.

If there's any club that deserves to be in this situation, it's Derby. And I'm not saying that because of snowgate.

I feel for the genuine fans of course, but all that creative accounting, rule bending, and financial mismanagement has consequences. The stadium sale, the shady Rooney signing, the fact that Mel Morris was caught on camera advising potential "buyers" (ie undercover journalists) how to circumvent EFL rules; its absolutely right that they are being punished and in that context I'm absolutely happy to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    If there's any club that deserves to be in this situation, it's Derby. And I'm not saying that because of snowgate.

I feel for the genuine fans of course, but all that creative accounting, rule bending, and financial mismanagement has consequences. The stadium sale, the shady Rooney signing, the fact that Mel Morris was caught on camera advising potential "buyers" (ie undercover journalists) how to circumvent EFL rules; its absolutely right that they are being punished and in that context I'm absolutely happy to see it.
    Hopefully the EFL has set its stall out and it will discourage the rule bending

Derby problems not going away:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59995698

Derby County's administrators have been told to show the English Football League how they intend to fund the club until the end of the season.

An EFL Board meeting resolved to try and bring clarity to the situation.

Although manager Wayne Rooney said he expected a preferred bidder to be named by the end of this week, BBC Sport understands that is unlikely.

Former Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and a consortium including ex-Rams chairman Andy Appleby remain front-runners.

An EFL statement said: "Following its board meeting on Thursday 13 January, the EFL has written to the administrators reiterating that it needs confirmation as a matter of urgency of how they intend to trade whilst Derby County remains in administration including a funding plan that will enable the club to fulfil its fixture obligations until the end of the current season.

"Without this visibility the League is unable to approve any player signings or renew existing registrations and this position had been communicated to the Club prior to yesterday's meeting."

Without proof of funds, Derby are not allowed to sign players, so an extension to former England defender Phil Jagielka's contract, which was due to run out on 17 January, cannot be completed and he has left the club.

It is understood Stoke are now close to signing him.

The 39-year-old made 21 appearances for The Rams and Rooney is understood to be furious at his departure.

"Talks had been ongoing with Jagielka to extend his stay at Pride Park Stadium in recent weeks but because of the restrictions the club is operating under, he has unfortunately been unable to put pen-to-paper," said a club statement.

Hopes of a takeover deal being struck are hampered by outstanding legal cases against Derby involving Middlesbrough and Wycombe.

Should these eventually go against the club, any compensation would be regarded as a 'football' debt and need to be paid in full.

It is understood that neither potential bidder is willing to take Derby on without some clarity over this issue, and the EFL has suggested brokering a deal with Middlesbrough and Wycombe may be the best way forward.

The only ways Derby's administrators Quantuma can generate funds at present is either by selling players or if a preferred bidder expresses a willingness to put their money into the club.

Derby turned down what Rooney described as "ridiculous" bids for players earlier this week.

However, some Championship rivals are understood to be unhappy about offers being rejected - at the same time as Derby are negotiating with HMRC over a deal that will see in excess of £20m go unpaid, from an overall bill of £28m.

It is not known yet whether any party will be willing to pay non-football creditors 25% of the sums owed. Unless that happens, Derby will be deducted 15 points next season.

The Rams are bottom of the Championship on 11 points, a further 11 from safety.

Derby supporters group Rams Trust have demanded a "full, frank and immediate update" on the situation from the administrators.

"The time for supporters to be kept in the dark is over, especially with what seems like a dire threat to the very existence of Derby County FC," the group said in a statement.

They really are in deep shit

I'd feel sorry for them, but a lot of their fans seem convinced there's some grand conspiracy against them and the EFL have an agenda against them. Madness.

Send them down

can anyone explain west ham atm...real question
    Easy - they hired a decent manager.

To be fair, Derby are getting hammered. I appreciate that they have broken a lot of rules, but it seems that the EFL is determined to destroy them. Okay, you could argue that if they apply the deductions all in the same season, then the club should only face one relegation, but there seems to be a never-ending list of more and more points deductions. I think Rooney has performed wonders with his squad, but you have to wonder why any of them bother.
    Still, I was a bit concerned that they might somehow catch up with the rest of us strugglers, so on that basis at least, it's one less side to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Easy - they hired a decent manager.
    they also got a new ground for next to nothing, which is a massive boost to match day income

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    To be fair, Derby are getting hammered. I appreciate that they have broken a lot of rules, but it seems that the EFL is determined to destroy them. Okay, you could argue that if they apply the deductions all in the same season, then the club should only face one relegation, but there seems to be a never-ending list of more and more points deductions. I think Rooney has performed wonders with his squad, but you have to wonder why any of them bother.
    Still, I was a bit concerned that they might somehow catch up with the rest of us strugglers, so on that basis at least, it's one less side to worry about.
    I'm convinced that the EFL are making an example of them because of what they did at the end of last season.
    they waited and waited until Wycombe were already relegated and the season over before they released their accounts. had they released them on time Wycombe would have stayed up.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They really are in deep shit

I'd feel sorry for them, but a lot of their fans seem convinced there's some grand conspiracy against them and the EFL have an agenda against them. Madness.

Rooney and the administrators have been talking up the situation for months - as they must. But there doesn't seem to be much basis for it and the patched up squad is starting to unravel.

With debts to Boro, Wycombe and HMRC unresolved and on the face of it requiring full payment, together with all the other debts, there looks like a real prospect of a player fire sale in the next few weeks, followed by relegation and a 15 points deduction at the start of next season in League One.

I was trying really hard not to smile whilst typing that.