+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Morison – The Pros and Cons, and Sir Alex Ferguson's advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Steve Morison – The Pros and Cons, and Sir Alex Ferguson's advice

The expectations of the club? To save money and keep us up.

There has supposedly been an extensive search for a new man and it looks like we've chosen someone who was passing by the door at the time. He was written out of it two weeks ago but since getting four points from nine (three of those rather fortunately) he's now first choice.

I assume he'll have a boost in salary and if it doesn't go well won't want a drop in wages to return to the U23s and won't want the demotion anyway so it's possible we'll lose a decent U23 manager.

He seems no more intelligent or articulate than our previous managers or any other candidate. Up and coming coaches generally have the same qualifications and so it boils down to character and imagination to manage a team ahead of the rest. I'm not sure Morison is someone of that ilk (hope I'm wrong though).

Perhaps they tried and couldn't get anyone else or at the end of this we'll get the new Guardiola (or that's Morison) but all this does for me is suggest yet again we're shambling along in an unsure, half-arsed, short-term manner.

Morison himself will take the chance because getting a managerial role is a rare opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    The expectations of the club? To save money and keep us up.

There has supposedly been an extensive search for a new man and it looks like we've chosen someone who was passing by the door at the time. He was written out of it two weeks ago but since getting four points from nine (three of those rather fortunately) he's now first choice.

I assume he'll have a boost in salary and if it doesn't go well won't want a drop in wages to return to the U23s and won't want the demotion anyway so it's possible we'll lose a decent U23 manager.

He seems no more intelligent or articulate than our previous managers or any other candidate. Up and coming coaches generally have the same qualifications and so it boils down to character and imagination to manage a team ahead of the rest. I'm not sure Morison is someone of that ilk (hope I'm wrong though).

Perhaps they tried and couldn't get anyone else or at the end of this we'll get the new Guardiola (or that's Morison) but all this does for me is suggest yet again we're shambling along in an unsure, half-arsed, short-term manner.

Morison himself will take the chance because getting a managerial role is a rare opportunity.
    It’s hard to discard the feeling you set out in your penultimate paragraph because that’s what we’ve been doing for a decade isn’t it.

There’s no doubt Morison has improved things, but they could hardly get worse could they and those improvements have been pretty modest so far. On the other hand, it would be daft to expect anyone to come in and make dramatic improvements to any club that is on the worst losing run in its history and setting a club record run of most consecutive home defeats. All anyone could do in such circumstances is stem and then stop the bleeding, Morison has done that, but the patient is still in poor shape overall.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s hard to discard the feeling you set out in your penultimate paragraph because that’s what we’ve been doing for a decade isn’t it.

There’s no doubt Morison has improved things, but they could hardly get worse could they and those improvements have been pretty modest so far. On the other hand, it would be daft to expect anyone to come in and make dramatic improvements to any club that is on the worst losing run in its history and setting a club record run of most consecutive home defeats. All anyone could do in such circumstances is stem and then stop the bleeding, Morison has done that, but the patient is still in poor shape overall.
    All he's done is stopped playing Ciaran Brown and put Giles there

I don't really see a marked improvement and in all honesty as bad as Huddersfield were they should have been out of sight by the time we scored our first

But as you say you can't expect overnight improvements and we've stopped the rot at the moment but I am very cautious of this appointment

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I don't really see a marked improvement and in all honesty as bad as Huddersfield were they should have been out of sight by the time we scored our first

But as you say you can't expect overnight improvements and we've stopped the rot at the moment but I am very cautious of this appointment
    Really, did you watch the games. In no way was just swapping Giles for Brown the only changes to how we set up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Really, did you watch the games. In no way was just swapping Giles for Brown the only changes to how we set up.
    I would agree. Looking through a coaching pair of eyes:

1. An attempt to build up play with pass and move. No coaching eyes needed there. That was obvious.

2. I thought positioning of players was fundamentally different, when on the ball. It isn't about just the pass, but availability of players in passing lanes. That was laid down quickly.

3. A willingness, when nothing was on in the attacking area, to move the ball around. Under prior coaches, simply tossing it into the box was encouraged. Now, an intelligent moving of the defence by passing back, and recycling the ball was a valid option.

4. Despite goal chances created ball in possession was much higher. Increased time in possessions meant less possession and less chances for the other team.

Fans forget that implementing a new style takes 6-8 weeks to just to get the basics clicking with this type of style. It will take 3-6 months for it to be what they want. But already, the statistics and eyeline evidence is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I would agree. Looking through a coaching pair of eyes:

1. An attempt to build up play with pass and move. No coaching eyes needed there. That was obvious.

2. I thought positioning of players was fundamentally different, when on the ball. It isn't about just the pass, but availability of players in passing lanes. That was laid down quickly.

3. A willingness, when nothing was on in the attacking area, to move the ball around. Under prior coaches, simply tossing it into the box was encouraged. Now, an intelligent moving of the defence by passing back, and recycling the ball was a valid option.

4. Despite goal chances created ball in possession was much higher. Increased time in possessions meant less possession and less chances for the other team.

Fans forget that implementing a new style takes 6-8 weeks to just to get the basics clicking with this type of style. It will take 3-6 months for it to be what they want. But already, the statistics and eyeline evidence is better.
    So you think that he should have the job then ? Make your mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Yes - I thought we were pretty on the eye, but still shakey at the back and toothless at the front

I do think we're on a upward trajectory but I cannot say that it's going to be all easy from here

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I was going to answer the OP but fell asleep half way through reading it. Then I noticed your ‘effort’. Your first two sentences are just plain silly and indicate to me that you didn't actually watch the game at all, whether you were in the stadium or not.

To stay with your theme, we're going to need some blood donors of the right type after January to hopefully keep the team alive before some major surgery in the summer.

Nice to see that you are being your usual optimistic self.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Nice to see that you are being your usual optimistic self.
    I thought I was being balanced, I was trying to be like you