+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerrard to Villa- big mistake

Re: Gerrard to Villa- big mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I reckon his cousin missed on purpose and Aaron Ramsey was a better player.
    Missed on purpose

Did you ever see him play?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Missed on purpose

Did you ever see him play?
    Fair point :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Than Anthony ?

Not many going to disagree .
    I absolutely could have worded that better :)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Me too. I like Gerrard. Would have loved him to come to us. We're raving about Morison but he's even less experienced (not having a go at Morison). I can't stand Liverpool or Villa but I'm interested to see how he does. Do well, and he's nailed on for the Liverpool job. He's a legend there.
    I don't think being a legend at Liverpool counts for as much as it did in years gone by. When Liverpool look to replace Klopp it will be with the very best option available. And if that isn't Gerrard, and I very much doubt it will be, he won't get the job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Like Eddie Howe up on Tyneside, Gerrard will be under huge pressure from the start to make an improvement. Basically, he’s on a hiding to nothing. Winning the Scottish Premier League is no big deal. I could have taken Rangers to the title with the squad they’ve got, especially with only one other serious challenger, who were miles behind at the finish. Villa are in free fall right now , losing 5 on the trot, and to arrest that situation will be a big challenge. Villa are a big club, with big expectations, and will be looking for an improvement immediately. Since Grealish left for the Etihad, they’ve spent a lot of money, and had little reward for their investment.I don’t envy Gerrard, and if I was a Villa fan , i’d Just be hoping they could stay in the Premier League. To me, that would be a success.
    Totally agree with this

Exactly what I thought when he joined.
    He's got no chance there.

At least we'll have a full house at ccs next season when we play villa, cos all the Liverpool plastics will go to see their hero

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think being a legend at Liverpool counts for as much as it did in years gone by. When Liverpool look to replace Klopp it will be with the very best option available. And if that isn't Gerrard, and I very much doubt it will be, he won't get the job.
    Well, we'll have to disagree on this one which is all cool BTW. I like a good footie discussion. I agree with you about the legend aspect though and 'pool wanting the best (Klopp has been amazing for them). But I can't help thinking about Klopp starting out at a struggling Mainz before ending up at Dortmund. What he did at Mainz was pretty amazing but it took time. His gegenpress style has been very successful and great to watch. The article in yesterday's Guardian was very snidey about Gerrard's time at Rangers which surprised me.

It's at least made a league I loathe most of the time a bit more interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I read his autobiography and liked him as a player so followed his career in Scotland more than I would usually, was curious to see how he'd do as a manager because he was a born winner as a player.

I don't know for sure how he'll do outside of Scotland of course but seems to have the right combination of respect in the game, winner's attitude and from what I've read about him up there, thoroughness of preparation that good managers have so I think it's a good appointment.

* cut to Aston Villa relegated by Christmas *
    Not quite sure about that Delmbox. 17 seasons as a player at liverpool saw 1 Champions league, 2 FA cups, 3 league cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 Super cup. Not in any way a bad return. But not quite Born winner material. Great team leader and all that, but for a player of his ability and notoriety the Trophy cupboard was lacking. IMO the Villa job has come a season or two too early. But i completely understand why he has taken it.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Not quite sure about that Delmbox. 17 seasons as a player at liverpool saw 1 Champions league, 2 FA cups, 3 league cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 Super cup. Not in any way a bad return. But not quite Born winner material. Great team leader and all that, but for a player of his ability and notoriety the Trophy cupboard was lacking. IMO the Villa job has come a season or two too early. But i completely understand why he has taken it.
    Spedger
    In an often average Liverpool team, and how many times did he drag them to those victories. If he'd have left to go to a Chelsea or Man Utd he'd have stacks of trophies. The only player to score in an FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League and UEFA Cup final, the guy's a winner.

He's also my best friend

He's also my best friend

In an often average Liverpool team, and how many times did he drag them to those victories. If he'd have left to go to a Chelsea or Man Utd he'd have stacks of trophies. The only player to score in an FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League and UEFA Cup final, the guy's a winner.
    It's a fair point. That champions league team had djimi traore on the pitch and Igor biscan on the bench. Both would struggle to stand out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's a fair point. That champions league team had djimi traore on the pitch and Igor biscan on the bench. Both would struggle to stand out for us.
    I'd say that Milan lost that final as opposed to Liverpool winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Top book , top guy .
    What he did at Rangers was an incredible feat ( if you don't understand Scottish Football ,why comment as if you do ? )Rangers fans will be forever grateful.
    He will do well at Villa , of that , I am sure .
    I know about as much about the SPL as I do the Eredivise ... Essentially nothing.

That said, just in terms of the profile of sides outside the two big Glasgow sides, would it be entirely unfair to say the standard of other sides ranges anywhere between a top end League One - Championship standard ? Would there likely be any sides outside Celtic/Rangers that could play in the EPL ? Maybe the comparison is unfair due to the TV rights sides like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd etc would get if they were involved in the EPL-EFL.

Anyhow, if the standard of opposition is Championship standard and he was managing a side who, despite their tougher than usual circumstances at the time, had more resources and a bigger draw when trying to attract players, wouldn't it be fair to assume he'll at the very least have to completely change his approach at Villa?

Now, He is essentially managing the equivalent of St.Mirren of someone like that. It's not going to be straightforward for him by any stretch of the imagination.

I've got a feeling he is going to be flop ..... I just think it is a really tough league to compete in unless you have exceptional talent.

I actually wonder whether there has ever been an individual that was a GREAT player and a GREAT manager. Dalglish maybe ? There aren't many.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I know about as much about the SPL as I do the Eredivise ... Essentially nothing.

That said, just in terms of the profile of sides outside the two big Glasgow sides, would it be entirely unfair to say the standard of other sides ranges anywhere between a top end League One - Championship standard ? Would there likely be any sides outside Celtic/Rangers that could play in the EPL ? Maybe the comparison is unfair due to the TV rights sides like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd etc would get if they were involved in the EPL-EFL.

Anyhow, if the standard of opposition is Championship standard and he was managing a side who, despite their tougher than usual circumstances at the time, had more resources and a bigger draw when trying to attract players, wouldn't it be fair to assume he'll at the very least have to completely change his approach at Villa?

Now, He is essentially managing the equivalent of St.Mirren of someone like that. It's not going to be straightforward for him by any stretch of the imagination.

I've got a feeling he is going to be flop ..... I just think it is a really tough league to compete in unless you have exceptional talent.

I actually wonder whether there has ever been an individual that was a GREAT player and a GREAT manager. Dalglish maybe ? There aren't many.
    Cruyff. Beckenbauer. Zidane. Pep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'd say that Milan lost that final as opposed to Liverpool winning it.
    Probably true. If you look at the Milan line up again, it's incredible. All 11 starters are legends.

Also Clough.

This might sound mental but I'm not convinced about Zidane yet. He was a great manager of Real Madrid in the Champions League but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled at another team

3 wins from 4

Lost to City.

Beaten 3 teams that were all above them in the league I believe.

I think he'll do really well there, I think he'll turn results around quite quickly and end up building a decent team
    Never let my football judgement be questioned again

Mick McCarthy got a few wins at the start here..let's hold off a bit :coat:

A few games in, that’s all. Not a bad start, but today’s opposition looked like they first got together half hour before the kick off. I think I could have scored against them to be honest. Rogers has his work cut out ,getting them somewhere near the form that led them to s place higher up the table. Let’s see where the6 are at the end of April. Can’t understand why the same players couldn’t play like that for Dean Smith. I would have given the goal that was disallowed for kicking it out of Schmeichel’s hand. Nothing wrong with it.

A few games in, that’s all. Not a bad start, but today’s opposition looked like they first got together half hour before the kick off. I think I could have scored against them to be honest. Rogers has his work cut out ,getting them somewhere near the form that led them to s place higher up the table. Let’s see where the6 are at the end of April. Can’t understand why the same players couldn’t play like that for Dean Smith. I would have given the goal that was disallowed for kicking it out of Schmeichel’s hand. Nothing wrong with it.
    I doubt you can bend over to pick your morning paper up without cracking a few ribs and a big twinge in your spine. ****ing hell

Yeah, pathetic decision.
    Schmeichel spilled the ball and dived full length to get one hand on top of the ball, deemed that he had the ball under control.

You could understand the referee making a mistake but to go to VAR and still rule it out is just dreadful.

Lucky for Villa they won otherwise that would be another massive story on another of these new daft rules of the game.

Other than it was against the rules.
    No perfectly good goal.