+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerrard to Villa- big mistake

Gerrard to Villa- big mistake

Like Eddie Howe up on Tyneside, Gerrard will be under huge pressure from the start to make an improvement. Basically, he’s on a hiding to nothing. Winning the Scottish Premier League is no big deal. I could have taken Rangers to the title with the squad they’ve got, especially with only one other serious challenger, who were miles behind at the finish. Villa are in free fall right now , losing 5 on the trot, and to arrest that situation will be a big challenge. Villa are a big club, with big expectations, and will be looking for an improvement immediately. Since Grealish left for the Etihad, they’ve spent a lot of money, and had little reward for their investment.I don’t envy Gerrard, and if I was a Villa fan , i’d Just be hoping they could stay in the Premier League. To me, that would be a success.

Re: Gerrard to Villa- big mistake

I think he'll do really well there, I think he'll turn results around quite quickly and end up building a decent team

It's a funny appointment for me. As you say they are in free fall and in neither his playing or managerial career does he have any experience of this. I'm not say he won't do well but it's a bit of a gamble for a club who are only 2 points above the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I think he'll do really well there, I think he'll turn results around quite quickly and end up building a decent team
    Me too. I like Gerrard. Would have loved him to come to us. We're raving about Morison but he's even less experienced (not having a go at Morison). I can't stand Liverpool or Villa but I'm interested to see how he does. Do well, and he's nailed on for the Liverpool job. He's a legend there.

Why do you think that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Like Eddie Howe up on Tyneside, Gerrard will be under huge pressure from the start to make an improvement. Basically, he’s on a hiding to nothing. Winning the Scottish Premier League is no big deal. I could have taken Rangers to the title with the squad they’ve got, especially with only one other serious challenger, who were miles behind at the finish. Villa are in free fall right now , losing 5 on the trot, and to arrest that situation will be a big challenge. Villa are a big club, with big expectations, and will be looking for an improvement immediately. Since Grealish left for the Etihad, they’ve spent a lot of money, and had little reward for their investment.I don’t envy Gerrard, and if I was a Villa fan , i’d Just be hoping they could stay in the Premier League. To me, that would be a success.
    Maybe many Villa fans think like you do in your last sentence and that he is therefore not on a hiding to nothing.

It will be interesting, media seem to rave about what he has done at Rangers. No doubt he has done well but this is a new ball game.

I'm not sure he even needed to take the step to Villa to one day land the Liverpool job.

Would have gained experience at a decent club, plenty of other club legends walk into the managers job with similar or less. Even without rangers he'd always have doors open to him at Anfield.

Can only assume the SPFL is quite boring after a while and the money and challenge is alluring.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I'm not sure he even needed to take the step to Villa to one day land the Liverpool job.

Would have gained experience at a decent club, plenty of other club legends walk into the managers job with similar or less. Even without rangers he'd always have doors open to him at Anfield.

Can only assume the SPFL is quite boring after a while and the money and challenge is alluring.
    That’s true, maybe he felt he needed the challenge before taking the Liverpool job. Maybe they just offered him a load of money

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

This.

Premier League with a big club like Villa or the SPL with 4 big matches a season.

Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Me too. I like Gerrard. Would have loved him to come to us. We're raving about Morison but he's even less experienced (not having a go at Morison). I can't stand Liverpool or Villa but I'm interested to see how he does. Do well, and he's nailed on for the Liverpool job. He's a legend there.
    Are Cardiff fans really "raving" about Morison? I think there's been some encouraging signs, but I don't think many are going overboard, just yet.

Obviously I have no idea about the details or how happy Gerrard is in Glasgow etc, but, I'd have stayed. I think he's made an error.

Rangers are a huge club, albeit in a weak league, so he wouldnt want to stay forever. However, this season they will quite likely win the league, thus cementing his legacy, they could win the SFA cup (not since 2009) or the league cup (not since 2011) and get out of the group stage of the Europa league.

Then take his pick in England.

Villa, I dunno...bit of a poisoned chalice for me.

I read his autobiography and liked him as a player so followed his career in Scotland more than I would usually, was curious to see how he'd do as a manager because he was a born winner as a player.

I don't know for sure how he'll do outside of Scotland of course but seems to have the right combination of respect in the game, winner's attitude and from what I've read about him up there, thoroughness of preparation that good managers have so I think it's a good appointment.

* cut to Aston Villa relegated by Christmas *

He's clearly done very well at Rangers. Regardless how small people believe the league to be, on the face of it he couldn't have done hell of a lot more.

A risk for Villa but I wouldn't write him off. I'd certainly take him here

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He's clearly done very well at Rangers.
    Has he? He’s won 1 trophy in 3 and a bit years. St Johnstone have won more than Rangers in that time on a fraction of the budget and with a fraction of the quality. He’s certainly improved them, but “done very well”? I’m not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He's clearly done very well at Rangers. Regardless how small people believe the league to be, on the face of it he couldn't have done hell of a lot more.

A risk for Villa but I wouldn't write him off. I'd certainly take him here
    What about his record in Europe to go with it ? Last season Rangers were taken apart and given a football lesson by a Czech team in front of their own fans at Ibrox. He didn’t have the players or know -how to do anything about it. I don’t think he’s ready for it just yet .

Nobody knows how good a manager he is. Hes passed his 1st test. Finished above Celtic.

Logical move. He will have resources , big club.

3 1/2 year deal. He needs to have Villa near the end of that in a position similar to West Ham and he may then get the Liverpool job.

I think he will be given the resources to succeed. About to find out if hes any good. Top player doesnt mean he will be a top manager.

At least as a manager he wont blow a title by slipping on his backside.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Has he? He’s won 1 trophy in 3 and a bit years. St Johnstone have won more than Rangers in that time on a fraction of the budget and with a fraction of the quality. He’s certainly improved them, but “done very well”? I’m not sure.
    Celtic imploded last season as well - Rangers had nothing to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    What about his record in Europe to go with it ? Last season Rangers were taken apart and given a football lesson by a Czech team in front of their own fans at Ibrox. He didn’t have the players or know -how to do anything about it. I don’t think he’s ready for it just yet .
    Villa fans can't have have very high expectations. I think that a top 6 finish over a 3 or 4 year period is the best they could hope for. He needs to go there if he really wants to prove himself. What's the point in him hanging about at Rangers when he's probably taken them as far as he can. Has he taken the job yet? If not, he'd be a fool not to. If he fails, he's got atleast another 7 cracks at the whip anyway.

Stupid move. He could have stayed in Scotland another 18 months and won some more trophies and had another season in Europe. His stock would have raised significantly and he could have gotten a better job. The Villa job is a poisoned chalice, and the appointment will end in tears

I read his autobiography and liked him as a player so followed his career in Scotland more than I would usually, was curious to see how he'd do as a manager because he was a born winner as a player.

I don't know for sure how he'll do outside of Scotland of course but seems to have the right combination of respect in the game, winner's attitude and from what I've read about him up there, thoroughness of preparation that good managers have so I think it's a good appointment.

* cut to Aston Villa relegated by Christmas *

I've got such a backlog of reading but I will, one day, read his autobiography too. Yes, I'm genuinely interested to see how it goes.

I reckon his cousin missed on purpose and Aaron Ramsey was a better player.

I've got such a backlog of reading but I will, one day, read his autobiography too. Yes, I'm genuinely interested to see how it goes.
    Top book , top guy .
    What he did at Rangers was an incredible feat ( if you don't understand Scottish Football ,why comment as if you do ? )Rangers fans will be forever grateful.
    He will do well at Villa , of that , I am sure .

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I reckon his cousin missed on purpose and Aaron Ramsey was a better player.
    Than Anthony ?

Not many going to disagree .