Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
Top book , top guy .
What he did at Rangers was an incredible feat ( if you don't understand Scottish Football ,why comment as if you do ? )Rangers fans will be forever grateful.
He will do well at Villa , of that , I am sure .
I know about as much about the SPL as I do the Eredivise ... Essentially nothing.

That said, just in terms of the profile of sides outside the two big Glasgow sides, would it be entirely unfair to say the standard of other sides ranges anywhere between a top end League One - Championship standard ? Would there likely be any sides outside Celtic/Rangers that could play in the EPL ? Maybe the comparison is unfair due to the TV rights sides like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd etc would get if they were involved in the EPL-EFL.

Anyhow, if the standard of opposition is Championship standard and he was managing a side who, despite their tougher than usual circumstances at the time, had more resources and a bigger draw when trying to attract players, wouldn't it be fair to assume he'll at the very least have to completely change his approach at Villa?

Now, He is essentially managing the equivalent of St.Mirren of someone like that. It's not going to be straightforward for him by any stretch of the imagination.

I've got a feeling he is going to be flop ..... I just think it is a really tough league to compete in unless you have exceptional talent.

I actually wonder whether there has ever been an individual that was a GREAT player and a GREAT manager. Dalglish maybe ? There aren't many.