+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    For me it’s too early to give till end of season. These 3 games, although a fair improvement in style, have been very 50/50 in good/bad. It’s a risk but a cheap risk.
    That was always going to be the case. Things were that bad that no-one was going to turn things around immediately. 8 defeats on the spin is a pretty special run of form.

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This post is going to be like reading about climate change for a lot of people. It's just too much of a melon-twister and scary to even acknowledge. I'd add....

We're going to appoint his mate who he brought in to coach the Under-23s...in a dogfight....with no money....and a very little support network.

Was Mike Flynn the only other realistic candidate? Did nobody else want to manage Cardiff City? Did Neil Warnock really turn the job down? Tune in, in January, for another thrilling episode of The Board Game (exclusively on CCFC TV) starring The Owner (close-up of hand stroking a hairless cat), The Money Man (Film Noir long shot of shadowy figure in trilby) and Someone Who's Always In The Photos With A Hand On The Newly-Signed Player's Shoulder (sound effects from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho). Parental Guidance Advised.
    Morison had 4 months coaching experience with the Millwall and Northampton academies before we put him in charge of the Under-23s. He did that job for 20 months and now he's going to be our new manager. Didn't Mehmet Dalman say something recently about risk management?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Remember when people thought that Neil Harris didn't have a good enough track record to manage us? We're going to appoint his mate who he brought in to coach the Under-23s.
    Well we were right about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If he can develop some of the kids into good Championship players during the season, his appointment will have been well worth it. At the end of the day, it's what we will be relying on to a certain extent and nobody knows the younger players better than Morison. If Hudson can help provide some defensive stability then happy days.

If, at the end of the season, he has warranted a contract extension, fantastic news. If it hasn't worked out, then he goes back into the under 23s where he's been so successful.
    Hudson? Have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Hudson? Have I missed something?
    Hudson supposedly joining us to help.

Well we were right about that!
    So what do you think of Morison?

Morison had 4 months coaching experience with the Millwall and Northampton academies before we put him in charge of the Under-23s. He did that job for 20 months and now he's going to be our new manager. Didn't Mehmet Dalman say something recently about risk management?
    The scary thing is, this may actually be him, you know, doing it (in his head). We've been winging it since the summer of 2019.
    This isn't Morison's fault and I really hope he's successful, of course I do. The only thing I can think of is that they've factored in the points deductions of other teams and feel even we can't blow it.

Where did you see that? Very interesting if true.

So what do you think of Morison?
    We’ll have to give him a chance but I’m optimistic even if a little underwhelmed.

Harris on the other hand was a totally uninspiring appointment and turned out to be useless.

Oh nice. I haven’t seen that.

I think this is a good decision from the club in the circumstances, first of all it's clear we haven't got the money or squad to attract a big name. Our reliance on youth this season means Morison will know better than anyone who is or isn't good enough to make the step up, any new manager will take up valuable time sussing our the U23s as we aren't going to be buying anyone. Finally in terms of the contract I can't imagine much has changed, it's practically a free swing, if we're worse off come January then we'll have to go for an emergency and get an experienced man in to try and right the ship and won't have to pay him off.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Another team gave a young manager a three and a half year contract after no games in charge today - that’s what tends to happen when other teams appoint a manager.
    But Gerrard has done 3 years as a first team manager. Whatever your views on the strength of Scottish football, he is far more experienced than Morison.

And he is going from a club where he still had 2 1/2 years on what was undoubtedly a lucrative contract. He would obviously not move for a contract that ran just until the end of the season.

Morison on the other hand is completely untried at first team level. And I would guess (or hope!) that he has been told he will still get his old job back if things do not work out

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    But Gerrard has done 3 years as a first team manager. Whatever your views on the strength of Scottish football, he is far more experienced than Morison.

And he is going from a club where he still had 2 1/2 years on what was undoubtedly a lucrative contract. He would obviously not move for a contract that ran just until the end of the season.

Morison on the other hand is completely untried at first team level. And I would guess (or hope!) that he has been told he will still get his old job back if things do not work out
    It was said that we were appointing a manager after just three games in charge, I used Gerrard as an example to show that other clubs do not appoint managers on the sort of short term, counter productive (in terms of club development) ways as we have for our last two managers. If he has anything about him, Morison would have a long term medium to long term vision for the club, but he can’t do anything about that because, as they do so often, Tan, Dalman and Choo are just thinking one season at a time. If they think Morison is going to keep us up they should back that up by giving him a longer contract, but, in typical Cardiff style we veer from one extreme to the other - if we continue to offer managerial jobs a few months at a time, we’ll only attract a certain quality of outside applicant.

It was said that we were appointing a manager after just three games in charge, I used Gerrard as an example to show that other clubs do not appoint managers on the sort of short term, counter productive (in terms of club development) ways as we have for our last two managers. If he has anything about him, Morison would have a long term medium to long term vision for the club, but he can’t do anything about that because, as they do so often, Tan, Dalman and Choo are just thinking one season at a time. If they think Morison is going to keep us up they should back that up by giving him a longer contract, but, in typical Cardiff style we veer from one extreme to the other - if we continue to offer managerial jobs a few months at a time, we’ll only attract a certain quality of outside applicant.
    I'm 100% behind you on this. Haven't they just set him up though? No money. No long-term backing. I now think the risk assessment is based on other clubs being worse and not us being much better. This is treading water...again. I dread to think what's really been going on over the last few weeks. They sacked MM with no-one lined up. They're making it up as they go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm 100% behind you on this. Haven't they just set him up though? No money. No long-term backing. I now think the risk assessment is based on other clubs being worse and not us being much better. This is treading water...again. I dread to think what's really been going on over the last few weeks. They sacked MM with no-one lined up. They're making it up as they go along.
    For all anyone knows (outside of the decision making process) there is a plan in place for a new manager at the end of the season. It could be someone in a role with a contract expiring or someone who is on a "break" and won't come on board right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    For all anyone knows (outside of the decision making process) there is a plan in place for a new manager at the end of the season. It could be someone in a role with a contract expiring or someone who is on a "break" and won't come on board right now.
    At Cardiff? No. Simply no track record of any forethought of that nature. Our management structure is ‘reactionary’

Your right there may be a plan for end of season.

I very much doubt it though.

I dont think they have a clue.

You're right. Brilliant if they have and are planning. I want Steve Morison to be successful. If (and it's a big if but highly likely) his main role between now and season end is to make sure we stay in the division then it's still a risky appointment. If, they have a plan for us to stay in the division and play a more entertaining brand of footie, then that gets even more risky. The last scenario is they are factoring for relegation. We do seem to have our own 'special' way of doing things at CCFC.

Rather a new manager coming in the summer, could it perhaps be that the short termism is down to possible changes at ownership/Board level?

Quite - I think that anyone who has supported the club for any length of time would agree with this.

I wish him all the best and he has shown that he can get the team playing a bit of football but that wasn't too difficult after the dreadful tactics of MM.

I'm sure that someone will know this, but when was the last time that a Championship side promoted an U23 manager to their first team manager and did it work out? Hopefully it will for us!
    Huddersfield’s manager was previously the U-23s manager at Leeds.
    He seems to be doing alright.

The way I see it, Steve Morison has nothing to lose - he gets to manage a Championship team and if it goes belly up, he can point to the lack of resources at first team level, plus he’s still got the success of the U-23s on his CV.
    As many have said, he knows the players and he will get them (particularly the academy graduates) playing for him, which actually makes him less of a risk in that respect.
    His position is unique, because someone coming from outside of the club wouldn’t have any of this.
    For the club, it is the cheaper option, which (as I keep saying) might mean that there’s a bit of money for players, which we may not have if we shell out for a manager.
    This wouldn’t be the first time a manager’s had a contract until the end of the season - Chelsea did it with Roberto Di Matteo and he won the Champions League!
    Overall, given the financial position, I think it is the best decision. It might not be ideal, but life ain’t perfect.

Rather a new manager coming in the summer, could it perhaps be that the short termism is down to possible changes at ownership/Board level?
    Why do you say that Bob?

It's interesting the way the news is coming out, I wonder if they've leaked the info in order to gauge fan reaction prior to confirming the appointment. The CCMB walls may have eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    It's interesting the way the news is coming out, I wonder if they've leaked the info in order to gauge fan reaction prior to confirming the appointment. The CCMB walls may have eyes!!
    I would never take a decision based on the opinions of the messageboard. In the past few days I have read that managers who took us to the PL or into the play offs from pretty poor positions were useless and wrecked the club whilst happy to accept a very inexperienced person as the new manager after 3 very variable games (whilst calling the club out for always using the cheap option).

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Why do you say that Bob?
    Probably adding two and two and getting five, but just one or two things I’ve read in the last few weeks on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    I don't think this post is far removed from the truth. I think Tan likes to be loved first and foremost; rich second.