+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Another team gave a young manager a three and a half year contract after no games in charge today - that’s what tends to happen when other teams appoint a manager.
    But Gerrard has done 3 years as a first team manager. Whatever your views on the strength of Scottish football, he is far more experienced than Morison.

And he is going from a club where he still had 2 1/2 years on what was undoubtedly a lucrative contract. He would obviously not move for a contract that ran just until the end of the season.

Morison on the other hand is completely untried at first team level. And I would guess (or hope!) that he has been told he will still get his old job back if things do not work out

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    But Gerrard has done 3 years as a first team manager. Whatever your views on the strength of Scottish football, he is far more experienced than Morison.

And he is going from a club where he still had 2 1/2 years on what was undoubtedly a lucrative contract. He would obviously not move for a contract that ran just until the end of the season.

Morison on the other hand is completely untried at first team level. And I would guess (or hope!) that he has been told he will still get his old job back if things do not work out
    It was said that we were appointing a manager after just three games in charge, I used Gerrard as an example to show that other clubs do not appoint managers on the sort of short term, counter productive (in terms of club development) ways as we have for our last two managers. If he has anything about him, Morison would have a long term medium to long term vision for the club, but he can’t do anything about that because, as they do so often, Tan, Dalman and Choo are just thinking one season at a time. If they think Morison is going to keep us up they should back that up by giving him a longer contract, but, in typical Cardiff style we veer from one extreme to the other - if we continue to offer managerial jobs a few months at a time, we’ll only attract a certain quality of outside applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was said that we were appointing a manager after just three games in charge, I used Gerrard as an example to show that other clubs do not appoint managers on the sort of short term, counter productive (in terms of club development) ways as we have for our last two managers. If he has anything about him, Morison would have a long term medium to long term vision for the club, but he can’t do anything about that because, as they do so often, Tan, Dalman and Choo are just thinking one season at a time. If they think Morison is going to keep us up they should back that up by giving him a longer contract, but, in typical Cardiff style we veer from one extreme to the other - if we continue to offer managerial jobs a few months at a time, we’ll only attract a certain quality of outside applicant.
    I'm 100% behind you on this. Haven't they just set him up though? No money. No long-term backing. I now think the risk assessment is based on other clubs being worse and not us being much better. This is treading water...again. I dread to think what's really been going on over the last few weeks. They sacked MM with no-one lined up. They're making it up as they go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm 100% behind you on this. Haven't they just set him up though? No money. No long-term backing. I now think the risk assessment is based on other clubs being worse and not us being much better. This is treading water...again. I dread to think what's really been going on over the last few weeks. They sacked MM with no-one lined up. They're making it up as they go along.
    For all anyone knows (outside of the decision making process) there is a plan in place for a new manager at the end of the season. It could be someone in a role with a contract expiring or someone who is on a "break" and won't come on board right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    For all anyone knows (outside of the decision making process) there is a plan in place for a new manager at the end of the season. It could be someone in a role with a contract expiring or someone who is on a "break" and won't come on board right now.
    At Cardiff? No. Simply no track record of any forethought of that nature. Our management structure is ‘reactionary’

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    You're right. Brilliant if they have and are planning. I want Steve Morison to be successful. If (and it's a big if but highly likely) his main role between now and season end is to make sure we stay in the division then it's still a risky appointment. If, they have a plan for us to stay in the division and play a more entertaining brand of footie, then that gets even more risky. The last scenario is they are factoring for relegation. We do seem to have our own 'special' way of doing things at CCFC.