+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    In the absence of a suitable candidate with good Championship experience this has to be a sensible option given that he know the set up and the players.
    Farke? Dean Smith?

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Dave Jones should have had a rolling month contract. We could have sacked him in November then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What are you advocating, Bob? That they give him a two year contract off the back of three games in charge?

I think it's the sensible decision to give him at least until the end of the season.
    Another team gave a young manager a three and a half year contract after no games in charge today - that’s what tends to happen when other teams appoint a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Farke? Dean Smith?
    Gosh how much do you think they will want and would we survive FFP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Because there’s no continuity and it seems that they’re putting a young manager/coach on an extended trial - if they trust him enough for what will be a period in charge of nearly seven months, I don’t see why they can’t go further than that. Just appointing managers for a period of months is just an extension of the short termism which has cost us dearly under Vincent Tan - the two years given to McCarthy was a mistake, but that shouldn’t put them into the frame of mind that they don’t offer longer contracts.
    I don't think that he's done enough to be given the job until the end of the season or longer.

Let’s be honest it’s the cheapest option

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Probably. But it may also be the right option.

I would go for Michael Beale with his Liverpool and Rangers contacts. If he wants to be a manager, he could still come to the City rather than follow Gerrard to Aston Villa.

Because there’s no continuity and it seems that they’re putting a young manager/coach on an extended trial - if they trust him enough for what will be a period in charge of nearly seven months, I don’t see why they can’t go further than that. Just appointing managers for a period of months is just an extension of the short termism which has cost us dearly under Vincent Tan - the two years given to McCarthy was a mistake, but that shouldn’t put them into the frame of mind that they don’t offer longer contracts.
    Cause we have no money. If Morison is given 2 years and is crap we’re paying off 3 managers.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Probably. But it may also be the right option.
    Which is why on both counts the end of season option is a good one. The only risk is that he does so good a job that someone else comes in for him at the end of the season, but if the club and him are smart they’ll have negotiated those possibilities into the deal (there’s no need to declare them until the end of the season anyway).

Personally, I’m pleased. I’ll pay to watch the next game which I didn’t expect to do again this season

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    This is the way I see it too.

Of course people will see the appointment as good continuity, respect of the youngsters, trying to play football etc..., and perhaps it is, but what if we lose the next 3 or 4 games?
    Will SM get everyone's backing?

Perhaps the board are trying to be fair to Morison and not stringing him along, who knows
    I don't see the rush to say it's yours til the season end. Why not get us to mid table and then we'll look at it again.

All that said, if we are staring down the barrel with a few games left, I can still see the cavalry being called in.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

All that said, if we are staring down the barrel with a few games left, I can still see the cavalry being called in.
    Does the cavalry live in Cornwall?

It's the cheapest option, don't imagine for one minute this club is thinking about continuity or anything else, they're winging it to save money

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Does the cavalry live in Cornwall?
    Possibly
    (Seriously though I do hope not!)

I wish Steve Morison all the luck in the world.
    If he is still there and we have championship fixtures cum the summer, I think we will be in a good place.

Why don't we go and get Farking Farke?

I'm glad he got it I've seen enough in the 3 games to see he has the players playing for him in an infinitely better style of play than we have played for a while.
    Yes it's a risk but with no funds we have to go with what we have and I think he is a good as man as any to be able to do it with the players we have.

Hes probably the preferred option of all the cheap options. I doubt anyone in a job was seriously considered.

Seeing the likely other cheap options Im glad weve gone for Morison.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hes probably the preferred option of all the cheap options. I doubt anyone in a job was seriously considered.

Seeing the likely other cheap options Im glad weve gone for Morison.
    I liked the idea of Beale, or Bellamy (in different circumstances) or Eddie Newton (who got name checked in the BBC article this afternoon as on the shortlist under consideration), but Morison until the summer is a reasonable option, and could turn out to be an outstanding choice (if luck and a bit of judgement align).

But the club have to look at the structure and resources around the manager - on the board and in the coaching team. Maybe hoping for some expertise to be brought onto the board is just wishful thinking, but we have lost three senior members of first team management 9two of them key coaches) in McCarthy, Connor and Rowberry, and replaced James McCarthy as head of the academy with another internal appointment. Steve Morison needs support on the grass (a defensive coach would be good) and come January - even if there is little activity - someone needs to be on top of recruitment and loan moves in/out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    It's the cheapest option, don't imagine for one minute this club is thinking about continuity or anything else, they're winging it to save money
    Quite - I think that anyone who has supported the club for any length of time would agree with this.

I wish him all the best and he has shown that he can get the team playing a bit of football but that wasn't too difficult after the dreadful tactics of MM.

I'm sure that someone will know this, but when was the last time that a Championship side promoted an U23 manager to their first team manager and did it work out? Hopefully it will for us!

Remember when people thought that Neil Harris didn't have a good enough track record to manage us? We're going to appoint his mate who he brought in to coach the Under-23s.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Remember when people thought that Neil Harris didn't have a good enough track record to manage us? We're going to appoint his mate who he brought in to coach the Under-23s.
    Good luck to him and the team, it would be great if he pulls it off and got us playing some proper football which we have not seen since Dave Jones was in charge.
    If we stay up and start to play football again with more local players in the squad and attractive football, we may start to enjoy the football again at the ground instead of turning up out of loyalty every week and moaning about it all week as has been the case for me for years now

Why only until the end of the season?
    Win the next three games and give him a lifetime contract.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    This post is going to be like reading about climate change for a lot of people. It's just too much of a melon-twister and scary to even acknowledge. I'd add....

We're going to appoint his mate who he brought in to coach the Under-23s...in a dogfight....with no money....and a very little support network.

Was Mike Flynn the only other realistic candidate? Did nobody else want to manage Cardiff City? Did Neil Warnock really turn the job down? Tune in, in January, for another thrilling episode of The Board Game (exclusively on CCFC TV) starring The Owner (close-up of hand stroking a hairless cat), The Money Man (Film Noir long shot of shadowy figure in trilby) and Someone Who's Always In The Photos With A Hand On The Newly-Signed Player's Shoulder (sound effects from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho). Parental Guidance Advised.

If he can develop some of the kids into good Championship players during the season, his appointment will have been well worth it. At the end of the day, it's what we will be relying on to a certain extent and nobody knows the younger players better than Morison. If Hudson can help provide some defensive stability then happy days.

If, at the end of the season, he has warranted a contract extension, fantastic news. If it hasn't worked out, then he goes back into the under 23s where he's been so successful.

For me it’s too early to give till end of season. These 3 games, although a fair improvement in style, have been very 50/50 in good/bad. It’s a risk but a cheap risk.