+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Sensible move I think, I also hadn't seen what Kieffer had said about him, which gives me a bit of confidence https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59192508

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff City to keep interim boss in charge until end of season

Why only until the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Sensible move I think, I also hadn't seen what Kieffer had said about him, which gives me a bit of confidence https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59192508
    I thought that and then I remembered Kieffer's (alleged) Covid jab decision!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Board games.

Probably sorting out who looks after what in terms of backroom staff and u23s, before announcement.

Love to see Hudson given a chance somewhere. Knows the club and well respected.

Is it? It seems a risky one to me

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think whoever takes over it’s going to be risky.

I think it’s the right choice though.

I'm pleased, we've seen an improvement in passing, better results, less hoof ball, and the players seem happy and motivated. If he just keeps us out of trouble but we don't improve beyond that then the club can look at it again in the summer. If we are looking a better team by then he can get a longer contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm pleased, we've seen an improvement in passing, better results, less hoof ball, and the players seem happy and motivated. If he just keeps us out of trouble but we don't improve beyond that then the club can look at it again in the summer. If we are looking a better team by then he can get a longer contract.
    Exactly. And hopefully if he's not taken on as permanent manager he can go back to the U23s. I think it makes sense.

So he goes on a great run before the 2 year deal that means we fall short again

No idea really. Lots of people will say it’s sensible but so are the alternatives

In the absence of a suitable candidate with good Championship experience this has to be a sensible option given that he know the set up and the players.

What are you advocating, Bob? That they give him a two year contract off the back of three games in charge?

I think it's the sensible decision to give him at least until the end of the season.

Good move

Bluebirds !

Don’t forget that this make sense financially: less money spent on manager = more money for players

For once, I’m actually happy with a decision made by the club!

It's worth remembering that 9 first team players are out of contract at the end of the season and I'd imagine, of those, only Ralls will be offered a new deal. Whoever is in the hot seat in the summer will need to rebuild the squad, and that will shape how we play and how we move forward for the next 3 or so seasons.

So in that regard, it makes sense to give Morison until the end of the season, and to reassess whether he or someone else will be given that responsibility going forward.

Not that I think Dalman or Tan are smart enough to understand that, by the way. Otherwise they would have given Mick a 1 year deal rather than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Don’t forget that this make sense financially: less money spent on manager = more money for players

For once, I’m actually happy with a decision made by the club!
    I admire your optimism for thinking that there will be more money for players.

Fabulous decision, better the folk you know , to the end of the season gives him a fair crack of the whip allows us to see what he is made of , I like the fact we are recruiting from within and rewarding someone who has done very well with our U23 team .

Well done single R Mozza

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What are you advocating, Bob? That they give him a two year contract off the back of three games in charge?

I think it's the sensible decision to give him at least until the end of the season.
    Because there’s no continuity and it seems that they’re putting a young manager/coach on an extended trial - if they trust him enough for what will be a period in charge of nearly seven months, I don’t see why they can’t go further than that. Just appointing managers for a period of months is just an extension of the short termism which has cost us dearly under Vincent Tan - the two years given to McCarthy was a mistake, but that shouldn’t put them into the frame of mind that they don’t offer longer contracts.

Because there’s no continuity and it seems that they’re putting a young manager/coach on an extended trial - if they trust him enough for what will be a period in charge of nearly seven months, I don’t see why they can’t go further than that. Just appointing managers for a period of months is just an extension of the short termism which has cost us dearly under Vincent Tan - the two years given to McCarthy was a mistake, but that shouldn’t put them into the frame of mind that they don’t offer longer contracts.
    They're also giving him the opportunity of his career after a very small sample size of games which is reward enough for him on his current performance. I'd say this is mutually beneficial, and if we were to just appoint him on a 2 year contract and it goes tits up then we're paying off potentially 3 managers at once whilst being cash strapped - I'm unsure when Harris' ends.

For once, this in my opinion is a reasonable decision from City and hopefully Morison is rewarded with a big contract and pay increase come next May, along with the young players who I presume will assist the effort to keep us up.

That is very good news and a sensible decision from the board, so I'm pleased with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Sensible until the end of the season rather than a 3 year deal I meant. Not risk free of course with where we are in the table but I do think there's 3 worse teams than us in this division once we get a bit of confidence back

Sensible until the end of the season rather than a 3 year deal I meant. Not risk free of course with where we are in the table but I do think there's 3 worse teams than us in this division once we get a bit of confidence back
    And he knows those young lads , what makes them tick ,when to bring them on etc etc we bring in some shouty maniac just to save us and destroys the younger players confidences were done for for the future .

Club haven't got a clue what to do. Will be hard for Morison to go back to u23s if this goes pear shaped though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

Yeah, I agree.

I have always liked managers who have rolling one year contracts as well. It suggests a balanced relationship between employer and employee.